Zach Ertz: Extension or Trade? Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

TheRealMcCoy

super-bowl-6.jpg

First off... as the one who was driving the "we shouldn't extend Zach Ertz" train back when there was hardly any passengers and it was a very unpopular opinion.

Let me say this.....

I still believe financially speaking the best move would be to hold onto Ertz for his last 2 years and then move on as Goedert enters the prime of his career and let him be great.

With that said, I do love Zach Ertz. I think we all do or at least should. For gods sake we would never be Super Bowl champions without the guy and he has been Wentz's security blanket through all our receiver problems. He's an elite TE and probably still has another 3 to 4 years left of REALLY good play. I'd also feel kind of crappy if we just let him sit on his current steal of a contract without some financial security and showing him what he's worth to us and how much we appreciate all he's done for the franchise since taking the reigns from Celek.

Now, does that mean I'm giving him a 4 year extension when he has 2 years left and I think he could be really good even after these next 2 years? No.

Would I be opposed to giving him a 2 year extension and providing him with more security going forward and the raise he deserves? No.

This isn't a black and white situation with Ertz and just cause I've leaned towards not extending doesn't mean I'd have a problem with it for the right amount of years. If we don't intend to extend him, then I think we need to do right by him and not just have him sit on this deal for another season. We should trade him to the highest bidder. A team that could desperately use one of the ultimate QB security blankets, great teammate, and overall solid dude!

The only thing that would make me upset out of all the scenarios with Ertz is if we used a 2nd round pick on Goedert. Extended Ertz for too many years and had to let Goedert go in FA and never got to see his full potential and only end up getting a mid round comp pick for him leaving. That would be a nightmare scenario. Other than that just get the years (hopefully 2 or 3 where we can get out of the 3rd without a cap hit)/money right for both sides or trade him for value that's too hard to pass up. That is what needs to happen.

But, that's just how I see it. Do you agree? Disagree? Why? 

Also, another couple things to consider:

1.) Doing an extension might allow us to also lower his cap hit for next season when we need some much needed relief.

2.) We could be paying very little for our other skill position players the next 3 to 4 years with Miles Sanders being a 2nd year player and 3 rookie receivers who have all showed good to great things in camp so far. It probably is feasible to pay both Ertz and Goedert with the savings at the other spots, but it would be a lot tied up in cap at one position. We do love 12 personnel and it allows us to do a lot of different things offensively and really benefits the running game. 

I think it's well documented where I sit on this. 

Dallas Goedert has a higher ceiling, is younger, and would be less expensive to extend. You can't realistically keep them both after their contracts are up. Trade Zach in the offseason. The TE market is kind of inflated right now. He's not on the level of Kittle or Kelce, and he's going to seek that kind of money. It's been real Zach, you'll always have a special place in Eagles history here and I'll forever appreciate everything you've done for us, but it's time.

I love Goedert's game. He is tremendous and would be a great TE1 for us.

I have been on the trade Ertz train for a while now as well (maybe not publicly on this board) and now after the contracts Kittle/Kelce got it is probably more pertinent than ever that trading him after this season would most likely be the smartest move from both a financial and talent dissemination standpoint for this team moving forward.

With that said, I think it would be a huge blow to the locker room morale. Which I think plays a larger part in having a successful team than almost anything other than having a franchise QB. For this reason, I currently lean towards at least keeping him on the team for the duration of his current contract.

I do think it would have been amazing to package him in a trade for someone like D Hop. A trade like that is looking less and less likely by the day though.

I wouldn't mind extending Ertz 2 years like you mentioned, maybe a 3 year extension max, but with a dummy year in what would be year 5 or whatever Howie can cook up. It seems like this is the most likely option due to our upcoming cap situation (which is looking pretty gnarly).

If I had to pick between Goedert and Ertz, I’m going with Goedert. Younger, and I definitely will think end up around the level of Ertz. Maybe a bit less productive, maybe a bit more, but in that area no doubt.

So I certainly don’t want us to extend Ertz over retaining Goedert, but I have no problem rolling with 2 TEs either (which won’t be realistic if Ertz extension is massive). Important position for Doug’s offense, but can only pour so much cap into your TEs.

Errz trade value is not as high as his value is to us, even if only 2 seasons. Ideally I’d just like to keep Ertz until his contract is up, and either let him walk or sign him for cheaper as the #2 TE. Fine with restructuring and giving him more money in 2020 and 21.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

33 minutes ago, Danger said:

@ET80

Given BoB's history. Do you think you would have taken Ertz + Pick 21 for DeAndre Hopkins before he got traded?

BoB seems pretty high on the four TEs the Texans have.

I really think the trade came down to BoB REALLY wanting David Johnson in return - to this point, BoB seems to be all in on Johnson and his dual running/receiving skillset (even though Johnson hadn't been a competent rusher since 2016...)

I think the plan of succession has always been in place and regardless of contract talks any extension, signing bonus, years ect..., will be in conjunction with keeping Goedert a Eagle as Ertz eventual replacement. 

Now whether that means Goedert also getting a significant contract in conjunction with Ertz staying a Eagle for a year or 2, who knows but both Alshon and Deseans contract will be gone next season IMO and the Eagles will be rolling with WR's/RB's on Rookie deals as part of that plan!!!

Goedert is going nowhere. It's just a matter of how long are they together?

Edited by Nabbs4u

I think Goedert has a higher ceiling due to his YAC ability and blocking. I'll forever be grateful for what Ertz has done for this team, but the true winning organizations move onto cheaper/younger talent when they have it. If they let Goedert walk that'd be an absolute waste of a 2nd round pick. It's cool that we have two good TE's, but besides from the 2011 Pats when has that ever really been a factor?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Ertz is a volume slot receiver

A damn good one, but I get you.

Next year looks to be a very good TE class too. We could probably trade Ertz for a 2nd round pick (wouldn't use it on a TE though) next year with another great year.

His next team would have 1 year left on his deal and the opportunity to negotiate an extension... maybe get one agreed to before the trade happens.

16 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

A damn good one, but I get you.

Next year looks to be a very good TE class too. We could probably trade Ertz for a 2nd round pick (wouldn't use it on a TE though) next year with another great year.

His next team would have 1 year left on his deal and the opportunity to negotiate an extension... maybe get one agreed to before the trade happens.

The problem with Zach is you have to funnel your offense through him for him to be his most effective and I doubt a lot of other teams would be signing up for that. Maybe a team with a very young QB.