OT Andre Dillard out for season with torn bicep

.Buzz

4 hours ago, oland11 said:

Also everyone is saying this is a bust. Dude had an unforeseen injury that should not cause him issues down the line like a knee injury would for example. You are all so quick to pull the plug on a player. I liked what I saw of him at LT last year. We all knew he had to work on certain things because of his weight/size coming out of college. From everything seen from camp it appears he was working on those things. Once again you all seem to forget we have been spoiled at LT since Tra Thomas came into the league. We aren't going to see an all pro LT over night.

Really just calling him a bust to better cope with reality that we’ve lost 2 starting OL before season begins. Worst training staff in league or something is in the Philly water because this is yearly.

Who would not have taken Dillard?
Post the link.

He was still developmental, but ahead of the pass blocking curve.
He needed to add weight and strength.

He is going to lose some time, but who jettisons into the league as a starting LT?
Only four of the last 18 made it and none since 2017.
All of them were taken higher than Dillard.

Jonah Williams? - Drafted 2019 - injured*
Andre Dillard - Drafted 2019 - ?????
Tytus Howard? - Drafted 2019 - RT - injured
Kaleb McGary - Drafted 2019 - RT
Kolton Miller?  -  Drafted 2018 - LT, but bad (may get better)*
Isaiah Wynn?  -  Drafted 2018 - Eight games in two years
---Garrett Bolles?  -  Drafted 2017*
Ryan Ramczyk?  -  Drafted 2017 - RT
---Ronnie Stanley?  -  Drafted 2016*
Jack Conklin?  -  Drafted 2016 - RT*
---Laremy Tunsil?  -  Drafted 2016*
---Taylor Decker?   -  Drafted 2016*
Germain Ifedi?  -  Drafted 2016 - awful
Brandon Scherff?  -  Drafted 2015 - a guard*
Ereck Flowers?  -  Drafted 2015 - awful*
Andrus Peat?  -  Drafted 2015 - a guard*
Cedric Ogbuehi?  -  Drafted 2015 - nickname "Healthy Scratch"*
D. J. Humphries?  -  Drafted 2015 - started eight games at LT in '17/'18, 16 in '19

*Drafted higher than Dillard

Edited by babyatemydingo
typo
  • Like 2

I liked the Dillard pick at the time, but it'll be year 3 before our 1st round pick sniffs major snaps, and he was an older rookie. Assuming we take his 5th year option, we get 3 inexpensive years out if him as a starter before he breaks the bank or proves he's a bust. Maybe he ends up an all pro, but this is year 2 of a wasted pick, as it stands/until proven otherwise. Goedert gave us better value his 1st 2 seasons, and he wasn't a first round pick that we traded up for.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I liked the Dillard pick at the time, but it'll be year 3 before our 1st round pick sniffs major snaps, and he was an older rookie. Assuming we take his 5th year option, we get 3 inexpensive years out if him as a starter before he breaks the bank or proves he's a bust. Maybe he ends up an all pro, but this is year 2 of a wasted pick, as it stands/until proven otherwise. Goedert gave us better value his 1st 2 seasons, and he wasn't a first round pick that we traded up for.

I liked it as well. Looking like an unfortunate pick.

4 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

God I hope Reagor is good. This team has made what 3 really good 1st round picks in the last decade: Lane, Wentz and Cox? 

The rest have fallen in some sort of range between meh and awful. 

So we're fine as long as we pick top 5 basically. 

6 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

God I hope Reagor is good. This team has made what 3 really good 1st round picks in the last decade: Lane, Wentz and Cox? 

The rest have fallen in some sort of range between meh and awful. 

last 10 years

4 very good picks (BG, Lane, Wentz, Cox)

3 completely awful ones (fireman, smith, agholor)

1 meh whatever Barnett

1 up in the air Dillard 

Seems pretty reasonable tbh. 

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

last 10 years

1 meh whatever Barnett

1 up in the air Dillard 

Drafts a 50-50 crap shoot. Each rd getting progressively worse % wise.  

3 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

last 10 years

1 meh whatever Barnett

1 up in the air Dillard 

It's definitely reasonable but....

We could've had Byron Jones & Jimmie Ward over Marcus Smith & Nelson Agholor. Most of us would've preferred them too from what I remember. 

Could've taken a couple of DBs like Malik Hooker or Marlon Humphrey.... they went off the board the next 2 picks after Barnett.

And, it would've been even more ideal to trade back and grab Tre White. Granted I never thought he would be as good as he's become.

Fireman was supposed to be a "safe" pick smh. Not sure I can say much about that one.

Don't even remember who I really wanted in 2011. I think I've basically just erased that draft from memory.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

3 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

last 10 years

1 meh whatever Barnett

1 up in the air Dillard 

Also, I think is a better representation:

3 Great Picks (Cox, Wentz, Johnson)

1 Very Good Pick (Graham)

1 Average/Meh Pick (Barnett)

1 Below Average Pick (Agholor)

2 Godawful Picks (Smith and Watkins)

2 Unknowns (Dillard and Reagor)

Dillard could land anywhere from Below Average to Very Good... just not sure about him whatsoever from the bit we saw and like a week and a half of training camp lol.

Reagor I think will be either in the Very Good or Great category.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Also, I think is a better representation:

3 Great Picks (Cox, Wentz, Johnson)

1 Very Good Pick (Graham)

1 Average/Meh Pick (Barnett)

1 Below Average Pick (Agholor)

2 Godawful Picks (Smith and Watkins)

2 Unknowns (Dillard and Reagor)

Dillard could land anywhere from Below Average to Very Good... just not sure about him whatsoever from the bit we saw and like a week and a half of training camp lol.

Reagor I think will be either in the Very Good or Great category.

Dillard has the potential to be great

Just now, EagleBlueDon said:

Dillard has the potential to be great

TBH he has the potential to fall anywhere on the spectrum which is wild. We just don't know what we have. I have a hard time believing he'll fall into the Godawful category and not super optimistic he will fall into Great either based on what we've seen and heard so far, but coming into the league I thought he could be in that Great category in a few years. 

3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Lost respect for JP over this current situation. Gotta be honest.

I'm KINDA with you here. I have a hard time blaming JP cause obviously he sees he has leverage here and that's just smart business for him, but it doesn't really show a lot of appreciation for a team that has taken care of him pretty well for over a decade now. Especially, if he is asking for a big raise. Peters is a big question mark to even stay healthy, but I'd rather have him at LT than RG as he's basically learning on the fly and has had hardly any reps there even through the 2 weeks of training camp so far.

6 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:
3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Lost respect for JP over this current situation. Gotta be honest.

I'm KINDA with you here. I have a hard time blaming JP cause obviously he sees he has leverage here and that's just smart business for him, but it doesn't really show a lot of appreciation for a team that has taken care of him pretty well for over a decade now. Especially, if he is asking for a big raise. Peters is a big question mark to even stay healthy, but I'd rather have him at LT than RG as he's basically learning on the fly and has had hardly any reps there even through the 2 weeks of training camp so far.

Eh I can’t blame him for knowing his worth, I’d tell anyone I know to do the same if their employer wanted them to do a way harder job that matters way more to the organization.

There is a little ting of “Really?!?” for sure given how well he’s been treated here. He pretty much has been treated as good as any non-QB ever has in my years as a fan. Like they cut people because they tell them to. They let him do his own thing constantly.

If I remember right he had better offers and wanted to come back, ones that put him at tackle from the beginning. So he wanted to be here.

Don’t really know the best way forward here. Does set a bad precedent. It’s not like he didn’t know this was possible when he signed. He should have put it in the contract then to protect himself. But also like get that money to all players. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Eh I can’t blame him for knowing his worth, I’d tell anyone I know to do the same if their employer wanted them to do a way harder job that matters way more to the organization.

LT is the harder position of the two, but for JP it is easily the easier of the two. I think he'll really struggle if asked to play RG this year.

But, that's why I get why he is doing it cause he has the leverage. He knows that we'll have a harder time filling LT and he'll have a harder time playing well at RG.

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Don’t really know the best way forward here. Does set a bad precedent. It’s not like he didn’t know this was possible when he signed. He should have put it in the contract then to protect himself. But also like get that money to all players. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Yeah, its a weird situation to be put in, but I imagine we'll end up giving in.... unless they think one of the younger guys is ready for it which is hard to imagine.

Maybe Pryor could do okay with some help, but I don't know about that.

If we are having both Pryor and Peters starting it makes sense to put Pryor back at RG where he played last year and did fairly well.

I think we'll give in and probably have to adjust his contract somewhat, but how much I don't know considering our cap situation next year.