Dolphins trade LB Raekwon McMillian + 2021 5th to Raiders for 2021 4th

RaidersAreOne

56 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Morrow isn't anything special but he has played like 60% of our defensive snaps over the past two seasons and has special teams value. He's coming into his third year of the system and according to Tashan Reed of the Athletic he's having a strong camp and has been the third starter at LB throughout practices. 

He has some speed and is decent in coverage so I think he's more or less a lock to make the roster. McMillian is a pretty limited player that will play in a limited role here and the main reason Miami moved on from him is because he's not good in coverage. 

So if you cut Morrow in favor of White you come into the season with 5 LB's that have never played in Gunther's scheme. And as I mentioned earlier you have two rookie LB's that are both transitioning from safety. 

If you lose Kwit or Littleton to an injury for any significant amount of time, do you trust a rookie that has never even really played the position to be able to step in and start? Morrow provides an insurance policy behind our two primary backers. 

Yup agreed surely got to keep Morrow.

What about Wilber, He’s been a key ST guy till now. You think he’s gone or Muse takes his place now? 

MacMillan only played 37% ST snaps for the Dolphins whereas Wilber was at 71%, Muse has to replace Wilber on ST to play. 

Edited by Dessie

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

MacMillan only played 37% ST snaps for the Dolphins whereas Wilber was at 71%, Muse has to replace Wilber on ST to play. 

Mayock said that Muse will be a special teams war daddy for us this season so I'm assuming that Wilber is gone. I don't really see the value in keeping two LB's that won't ever really play on defense and are almost exclusively special teams guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Worth the risk for the Raiders get a player on his last year of his rookie deal. Hoping to strike gold. Now Jim can take a breather and not worry about the LB depth lmao all jokes man. 

Thank you Mayock!!! I knew my constant, excessive “bit cha-Ching” would pay off ... eventually!

Thats a great trade.  We basically gave up the equivalent of a 5th rounder in a pick swap so it didn’t actually even cost us a pick.

McMillan is a very good LB who can play all 3 LB roles.  I had him on my radar for FA next year or trade this year but wasn’t thinking Miami would trade him.

I’m very very happy with this move!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Yup agreed surely got to keep Morrow.

What about Wilber, He’s been a key ST guy till now. You think he’s gone or Muse takes his place now? 

MacMillian only played 37% of special team snaps because he was starting on defense as well.  I think you have to consider that.  He was a starter so the backups were used 2/3 of the time instead on ST.

Wilber needs to go.  His ST play is rock steady not solid, he’s good but not great anymore.

we got enough guys to take his ST role: Muse, Morrow, Javin “Future HOF” White

For a team that has regularly lacked speed, youth, and athleticism on the back end of the defense over the past decade, Mayock has really changed that in a hurry. 

LB (Avg - 25): Kwiatkoski (27), Littleton (26), Morrow (25), McMillian (24), Muse (23) 

CB (Avg - 25): Prince (31), Joyner (29), Johnson (24), Arnette (23), Mullen (22), Robertson (22)

S (Avg - 27): Harris (30), Heath (29), Randall (27), Abram (23) 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

we got enough guys to take his ST role: Muse, Morrow, Javin “Future HOF” White

If you carry White and Muse you'd be carrying 6 LB? Seems pretty redundant to have both on the final 53 man roster. The sad part is that from all accounts White has outplayed Muse all of camp but likely won't make the team over Muse since he was a 3rd round pick. 

When you're looking at special teams guys like Johnson, Robertson, Harris, Heath, Morrow, McMillian, and Muse should all be able to contribute for us. 

Edited by NYRaider

25 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Thank you Mayock!!! I knew my constant, excessive “bit cha-Ching” would pay off ... eventually!

Thats a great trade.  We basically gave up the equivalent of a 5th rounder in a pick swap so it didn’t actually even cost us a pick.

McMillan is a very good LB who can play all 3 LB roles.  I had him on my radar for FA next year or trade this year but wasn’t thinking Miami would trade him.

I’m very very happy with this move!

Nice to see some movement in addressing the LBs and this is the same type of scenario I was talking about for DT.  Very little draft capital lost and you get a player that can start.  1 year rental with the possibility to to resign for the right price if he performs well.  Time to hit the phones for a DT Mayock.  We need one DT so everyone can sleep well at night.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If you carry White and Muse you'd be carrying 6 LB? Seems pretty redundant to have both on the final 53 man roster. The sad part is that from all accounts White has outplayed Muse all of camp but likely won't make the team over Muse since he was a 3rd round pick. 

When you're looking at special teams guys like Johnson, Robertson, Harris, Heath, Morrow, McMillian, and Muse should all be able to contribute for us. 

I think we Edit: COULD carry 6, especially after the trade.  All depends on White.

Although I like Morrow (he’s a player I’ve rooted for since day 1)....  he does make 3+M with no guarantees so he could get cut.  That’s a lot to pay a non starter LB.

and Muse does have much more long term potential than White.  don’t let the reports of a few splash plays by a 211 pound LB have too much substance.

Edited by jimkelly02

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

For a team that has regularly lacked speed, youth, and athleticism on the back end of the defense over the past decade, Mayock has really changed that in a hurry. 

LB (Avg - 25): Kwiatkoski (27), Littleton (26), Morrow (25), McMillian (24), Muse (23) 

CB (Avg - 25): Prince (31), Joyner (29), Johnson (24), Arnette (23), Mullen (22), Robertson (22)

S (Avg - 27): Harris (30), Heath (29), Randall (27), Abram (23) 

It is quite amazing how Mayock transformed the LB unit... and entire defense.

LB especially Has all young legs that are ascending.  I like how it’s a solid mix of run stoppers and pass defenders and blotters.  It’s a good mix of players who are strong overall players but also have specific strengths.  Hopefully the unit can develop throughout the year.

The reason I B+Moaned so much about adding a LB is because this league is about matchups and exploiting the weakest link.  You can have 2 good LBs and a scrub and the offense will exploit the scrub over and over.  Now with McMillian I feel we have a solid 3 starters and a solid bench.  And it didn’t cost much At all to go from a weakness to strength.  That’s what it always was about to me: if we just sign/trade for one more LB were set, why not do it?

the wait was worth it because McMillian is a significantly option than Compton or anyone else that we could Have signed.

I have a feeling Mayock Knew+Believed LB was an issue and was just working the phone lines slowly, working to find the best option and at a great price.

Hes such a beast of a GM... can’t believe I doubted him a little bit.  He’s on top of everything and playing the long game approach.  I’m a instant gratification kinda guy... I don’t want any weaknesses or liabilities... I want problems resolved the second they come up.... but Mayock’s on that next level behind the scenes quietly finding the best option at best price.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

It is quite amazing how Mayock transformed the LB unit... and entire defense.

LB especially Has all young legs that are ascending.  I like how it’s a solid mix of run stoppers and pass defenders and blotters.  It’s a good mix of players who are strong overall players but also have specific strengths.  Hopefully the unit can develop throughout the year.

The reason I B+Moaned so much about adding a LB is because this league is about matchups and exploiting the weakest link.  You can have 2 good LBs and a scrub and the offense will exploit the scrub over and over.  Now with McMillian I feel we have a solid 3 starters and a solid bench.  And it didn’t cost much At all to go from a weakness to strength.  That’s what it always was about to me: if we just sign/trade for one more LB were set, why not do it?

the wait was worth it because McMillian is a significantly option than Compton or anyone else that we could Have signed.

I have a feeling Mayock Knew+Believed LB was an issue and was just working the phone lines slowly, working to find the best option and at a great price.

Hes such a beast of a GM... can’t believe I doubted him a little bit.  He’s on top of everything and playing the long game approach.  I’m a instant gratification kinda guy... I don’t want any weaknesses or liabilities... I want problems resolved the second they come up.... but Mayock’s on that next level behind the scenes quietly finding the best option at best price.

The reason that we have randall and maliek collins on 1 years as well is to either see if they play into extensions or give us an out to upgrade in good years for safeties/DT in free agency. Man is a genius. 

Another excellent part of the trade is that McMillian only has a cap hit of $1.105M.... which is barely above the cost of any veteran minimum players... and moderately less than other LBs on the trade market like Hassan Reddick (2.303M) or Jarrad Davis (1.96M).

1.105M is quite a bargain for a high end run stopper who can play MIKE or WILL and even be that SAM on obvious run downs.

I think he’s a very good compliment to Littleton.  McMillian brings the run stuffing while Littleton can do both.  They can be interchangeable between SAM and WILL depending on down and distance / run vs pass situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The reason that we have randall and maliek collins on 1 years as well is to either see if they play into extensions or give us an out to upgrade in good years for safeties/DT in free agency. Man is a genius. 

A lot of people act like it’s valuable to have significant portions of the team locked up long term.  I constantly here “we have player X locked up for his prime years”.  That’s great... only if he’s a core player.  The only advantage of that is you have him under contract at a price less than his market price.... example Darren Waller.

I agree core players should be locked up long term.  But there’s nothing wrong with and actually a ton of benefit to having 2-5 starters/ top reserves on defense each year on 1 year deals.  These deals are often cheap and obviously have no future cap guarentees and the players are incentivized you play for the next contract. Even if Collins balls out we can still find someone better if we want.  

For example, My issue with Nassib deal is year 2 is basically guaranteed and at 9.5M.   We’re not going to cut him and pay him the 5.75M already guaranteed Roster Bonus just to save his 3.5M salary and .25M workout bonus.  I’d rather have the advantage of cap flexibility over the advantage of locking him up contractually.     I see zero chance he plays so well this year that we’re paying 9.5M to resign him OR we couldn’t spend that on an equal to better player.  

Turnover is a part of the game.  If you draft well, and more so when you have the massive amount of picks we’ve had the last 2 years, you’ll have a significant core of players locked up long term.  If you are fiscally conservative with the cap and do things like extend Waller early (and extend someone like Kolton Miller mid season if he’s playing well... just like we did with Carr).... then you’ll always have cap space to bring in the players you need on a year to year basis.

And there will always be players on rookie contracts that can be acquired via trade for a late round pick, like with McMillian.  When you have a good team those 5-7th round picks don’t often make the team and more can be gained trading them for guys like McMillian even if they are 1-2 year rentals.  Heck, most 5-7th rounders don’t make good teams let alone last more than 1-2 years.  And if you active trading down during the draft you can get the same player you would have and add a late round pick or two. 

• Like 2