Dolphins trade LB Raekwon McMillian + 2021 5th to Raiders for 2021 4th

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He had a 43.4 coverage grade last season according to PFF... 

I didn’t say he was good... I merely said he isn’t pure awful in coverage.  He can’t man up and cover WRs.... but I’ve seen tape of him getting good deep zone drops, fighting bigger TEs to get off the line, and he’s very quick to tackle a receiver on a pass In front of him once the catch is made.

Pff ratings aren’t facts.... it’s a madden rating and nothing more.

If you want facts....

’19: 283 passing snaps; 12 targets with 10 catches allowed for 104 yards and 0 TD.  Of those 104yds: 29 in air, 75 yac.

LB coverage “stats” are probably the most misleading stat.  A dump off to a RB behind the LOS counts as an allowed catch.  That’s why even elite pass coverage LBs like Littleton allow Catches on 75% of targets.  Just look at the average depth of target McMillian saw in ‘19: 10 catches allowed for only 29 yards in air.

These stats have little value quite often.  If the guy gives up a catch in front of him and makes the tackle on 3rd down to get off the fields that’s a win not a loss. 

Again.... he can’t cover 1vs1 but there are some decent things he can do in coverage.  I’ve simply said he’s not the total liability he’s been made out to be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

LB coverage “stats” are probably the most misleading stat.  A dump off to a RB behind the LOS counts as an allowed catch.  That’s why even elite pass coverage LBs like Littleton allow Catches on 75% of targets.  Just look at the average depth of target McMillian saw in ‘19: 10 catches allowed for only 29 yards in air.

These stats have little value quite often.  If the guy gives up a catch in front of him and makes the tackle on 3rd down to get off the fields that’s a win not a loss. 

Excellent point and something I've been thinking and meaning to say for a while. Quite often coverage stats are very dependant on the type of D the team is playing, an off zone corner is going to be different to a press man corner in roles and responsibilities for example and there is virtually no way a LB can prevent a RB from catching the ball on a screen but he can limit the YAC, great point about the 3rd down also. 

As with all these stats, ratings, PFF stuff context is absolutely vital. Context, context, context 😁

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Again.... he can’t cover 1vs1 but there are some decent things he can do in coverage.  I’ve simply said he’s not the total liability he’s been made out to be.

32 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Excellent point and something I've been thinking and meaning to say for a while. Quite often coverage stats are very dependant on the type of D the team is playing, an off zone corner is going to be different to a press man corner in roles and responsibilities for example and there is virtually no way a LB can prevent a RB from catching the ball on a screen but he can limit the YAC, great point about the 3rd down also. 

As with all these stats, ratings, PFF stuff context is absolutely vital. Context, context, context 😁

He was such a liability that Miami did their absolute best to keep him off the field in passing situations. He only played on 31% of their snaps when the opposing team passed the ball. Combine that with the fact that he had one of the worst coverage grades in the league over the last two seasons according to PFF, I think that it's safe to assume he's a liability in coverage. 

He's the same player that he was at Ohio State when he came out in the draft. Excellent thumper in run support and a liability in coverage. Read any scouting report about his play in college and they all say the same things about his inability to cover. 

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Thank you.  I’m with ya brother. Nice additional points as well.

I feel like there’s facts to support any point of view within reason.  I’d just take a point of view opposite BayRaider and find “stats and facts” to prove him wrong.  LMAO.  Just cuz he annoyed me, not cuz he was totally!! incorrect.  Sometimes I didn’t even believe what I was saying lmao.

Im just saying take a breather sometimes and just ask yourselves (all of us) are we looking to prove a point (confirmation bias) or are we backing up valid points with stats/info we filter out and find to fit our point.  It can be a very fuzzy line especially when emotions are involved.  

For example: Sure McMillian was poor his 1st season playing versus the pass.  But there’s circumstances and levels of play.  Also, young players gain experience and play better.  Maybe he can’t cover WRs/TEs in the slot or is poor/slow in reading zone coverages but he could be strong covering RBs out the backfield and can jam and run with bigger TEs.  Nothing is so cut and dry that a guy just is horrible in coverage.  There’s too many aspects of that to explain.  Simply put players can often be poor doing X but could be satisfactory doing Y.

thats why teams use players situationally and try to play them their strengths.

6 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Really like this trade. Especially since we got a pick back too.

LB depth is so much better than last year.  

It’s likely we really only traded down 15-20 picks.  I’d guess Miami is picking top 5ish and we’re picking around 20-23ish.

Removing compensatory picks if Miami picked 5 and we picked 20 we’d have traded (and ignoring the fact that teams often have the same record and rotate pick order each round).... pick 116 and McMillian for pick 133.

we can easily slide down a few spots in the second round and regain that 4th.  Heck we could likely draft the same player at 116 and 133.