Jaguars trade Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings for 2nd & Condtional 5th

TheRealMcCoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 9:58 PM, Krauser said:

You’re too smart to wring your hands about them not paying Cook. I think they’d like to keep him if the price is right, but they’ve only offered a fairly cheap extension (under $10M AAV, so less than the franchise tag Henry was going to be playing on). Even that’s probably an overpay given the devalued RB position. Do you expect the Packers to think twice about extending Bakhtiari or Kevin King for fear of losing Aaron Jones?

Now that we have official numbers, has your opinion on Cook changed your opinion?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Now that we have official numbers, has your opinion on Cook changed your opinion?

Has my opinion changed my opinion?

I always thought they were going to pay Cook.  I don’t think they should have, but they (over)value the RB1 position.

His deal comes in cheaper than other RB1 receiving threats like Elliott and Kamara, so I think they got him for a fair price on the market (aside from the question of whether any RB is worth paying more than vet minimum).

I don’t think they‘ll lose Ngakoue over this. Feel free to come back to this next year if that’s wrong.

I think Anthony Harris is the odd man out, would’ve been extended already if that was ever going to happen. He’ll be 30 next year, so his long term deal is coming at the age of many players’ 3rd. I don’t think they’ll try to hard to keep him.

I’m not sure why smart Packers fans would be worrying that the Vikings somehow won’t retain their talent. Would you guys be happier to have them overpay a replaceable position, or to see Cook out of the division?

Edited by Krauser

8 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Has my opinion changed my opinion?

I believe you threw out on an AAV of $10M as the higher end of what you'd pay for a RB (something I actually agreed with).  Wouldn't this be an overpay by that standard?  According to OTC, the Vikings are ~$1.6M over the cap for next year and that doesn't include the Cook extension.  They're probably pushing at least $5M into that season, so the Vikings are likely over the cap by nearly $7M.  Other than the eventual release of Riley Reiff, I'm not sure there's a ton of flexibility other than to convert more salaries into signing bonuses and kick the can down the road.  The Vikings' window is closing fast, and they've put themselves in salary cap hell with some of their decisions in the last two years.  I've been pretty vocal that re-signing Anthony Barr for what he cost them was a mistake.  Not sure Dalvin Cook's deal is one I'd hand out either tbh.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I believe you threw out on an AAV of $10M as the higher end of what you'd pay for a RB (something I actually agreed with).  Wouldn't this be an overpay by that standard?  

There's a difference between what I'd do, and what I predict the Vikings will do. I don't agree with everything they do, but they're fairly predictable.

The reporting was that their initial offer was under $10M AAV, so I was saying it didn't look like they were willing to break the bank for Cook. $12.5M is more than I'd pay any RB but it's a very fair price given the market. And it makes sense that they'd want to keep Cook given his role on the team and what they would likely have done to replace him (using a top draft pick). 

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

According to OTC, the Vikings are ~$1.6M over the cap for next year and that doesn't include the Cook extension.  They're probably pushing at least $5M into that season, so the Vikings are likely over the cap by nearly $7M.  

That's only true if the cap hits the floor of $175M. I don't see any teams preparing as if that's actually going to happen, so I'm not sure it will. Even with an additional $7M in cap liabilities next year, the Vikings only have the 8th highest total in the league. If they're in "cap hell", so is a quarter of the league.

Packers are in similar shape: $178M in 2021 cap liabilities for 37 contracts, vs $177M for the Vikings in 2021, for 40 contracts (both numbers pre-Cook extension). Packers could pay as much or more for Bakhtiari as the Vikings pay for Ngakoue, and Kevin King will cost as much or more than Anthony Harris should the Vikings end up keeping him. Both teams will have to move some money around, but there's no reason to think they can't.

50 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Vikings' window is closing fast

The Vikings window closed last year, for the first version of the team they built under Zimmer. They've moved on from basically all of the major pieces that were in place when Zimmer arrived in 2014 (Rudolph and Smith are the only holdovers). 

They're trying to build a different core now. Cousins is in place as the long term starter. They have some blue chip defensive players in their prime (Hunter, Ngakoue, Kendricks and Barr), and some recent premium draft picks at CB, OL, WR and TE. The team is filled out by a lot of mid and late round draft picks (27 picks over the last 2 years, plus an expected 11 next year) from which they can hopefully find a couple of plus contributors.

I don't think they have a realistic chance to contend this year -- too many young players at important positions. But they might be in good shape as early as 2021, if their young talent develops. 

To get through the cap crunch next year, I think they'll release Reiff and maybe Rudolph, extend Smith to lower his cap hit, and re-extend Cousins. But that's just a guess -- these decisions tend to get easier to make once after a season, once we get to see how older players. I got pushback last year for suggesting Rhodes and Joseph would be gone after 2019, but by the end of the season those decisions were obvious.