Jaguars trade Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings for 2nd & Condtional 5th

TheRealMcCoy

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  My biggest question is what are the Vikings going to do long-term?  I believe the Vikings are sitting at just above $12.5M in cap space for this upcoming season, and $29M for next season PRIOR to the Yannick Ngakoue trade (and subsequent extension).  And you have to figure that if an extension gets done, how long before Danielle Hunter comes around asking for a raise?  He's been significantly better than Yannick, so if Yannick pushes for top EDGE money then Hunter probably won't be far behind.  And then there's the Dalvin Cook conundrum as well.  He's wanting to get paid as well.  Do you let him walk and lose one of your best offensive players OR do you pay him what he wants?

Good question actually. I had assumed they were going to let Cousins walk since Zimmer has shown he can do well with limited talent there so long as they're smart about turnovers, but had completely missed them extending him for two more years in March. 

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Until they figure out their QB situation, I ain't really worried about the Jaguars.

No one should be.

Very well could be on the roster, but if not plenty of ammo to go up and get "the guy" if we're not picking high enough for one already.

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Very well could be on the roster, but if not plenty of ammo to go up and get "the guy" if we're not picking high enough for one already.

If you are picking super high, do you think your owner will overhaul the organization(New HC,GM,etc)? Or will he give them a chance with the picks and subsequent talent they'll bring in?

18 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Good question actually. I had assumed they were going to let Cousins walk since Zimmer has shown he can do well with limited talent there so long as they're smart about turnovers, but had completely missed them extending him for two more years in March. 

I'm not really up on contracts but there is a few players on expensive contracts that could be let go after this year.  The vikings generally are pretty good at figuring the cap out

43 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

If you are picking super high, do you think your owner will overhaul the organization(New HC,GM,etc)? Or will he give them a chance with the picks and subsequent talent they'll bring in?

Honestly, who knows. Any other owner on the planet would have fired Dave Caldwell after the 2015 (maybe), 2016, 2018 or 2019 season. Who knows how long of a leash Shad is giving him and the rest of the staff.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Truthfully no one knows. The GM shouldve been out a while ago. I really can't imagine he continues status quo if we're not at the very least 7-9/8-8, but who knows at this point. I would imagine at the very least the coaching staff is out.

Caldwell seems to have figured it out draft wise for the most part but you shouldn't get as long as he's had with such little success, especially after the flop that was Bortles. Giving him another go around for a QB if Minshew doesn't take the reigns would be pretty insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy86 said:

That'd be interesting if they let Cousins AND Cook walk in the same offseason

59 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Thats the million dollar question. I think it depends on how bad/where we're bad. Like trading Jalen, Yannick, Calais and cutting Bouye in like a year doesnt make for a good defense. Our run D is going to be bad, the interior DL is no better than last year really except for maybe our 3rd round pick. Thats more the GM's fault I suppose than the HC. Now with that said, if the offense doesnt get any better and Minshew is JAG and not the guy then Marrone could be gone. Also though if they trade Fournette we're basically saying we'll have 0 run game at all so maybe that saved Marrone for 1 year. Idk, too much going on

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Truthfully no one knows. The GM shouldve been out a while ago. I really can't imagine he continues status quo if we're not at the very least 7-9/8-8, but who knows at this point. I would imagine at the very least the coaching staff is out.

Caldwell seems to have figured it out draft wise for the most part but you shouldn't get as long as he's had with such little success, especially after the flop that was Bortles. Giving him another go around for a QB if Minshew doesn't take the reigns would be pretty insane.

Its tough to get to 8-8 when we keep trading our best players too though so how high are expectations really? 7-9 feels like a pipe dream. 

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its tough to get to 8-8 when we keep trading our best players too though so how high are expectations really? 7-9 feels like a pipe dream. 

Average/above average QB play can get you there, which is what you need to see out of Minshew to not draft a guy. 

It's doable. We won 6 last year with a worse situation imo given the optics/turmoil of the org. along with Minshew being a rookie and playing in an offense that didn't even play to his strengths. We know Gruden will be a massive upgrade on that front.

I don't think it's likely of course, but if Minshew wants to fend of a QB that's what will need to happen imo.

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Average/above average QB play can get you there, which is what you need to see out of Minshew to not draft a guy. 

It's doable. We won 6 last year with a worse situation imo given the optics/turmoil of the org. along with Minshew being a rookie and playing in an offense that didn't even play to his strengths. We know Gruden will be a massive upgrade on that front.

I don't think it's likely of course, but if Minshew wants to fend of a QB that's what will need to happen imo.

Average QB play with our defense cant get us there. Our defense might be even worse than last year. 

39 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Nice to get an elite DE like Yannick, but I just don't think adding an elite DE really means much for the Vikings. Just my two cents.

Zimmer lost his top 3 CBs this year. He relies heavily on front four pressure if his CBs can’t take their man 1:1. So this is a huge move for what was looking like a very thin DL group. At CB, MN has Holton Hill and Mike Hughes along with two rookies.

• Like 2