Vikings Trade for Yannick Ngakoue DE

CriminalMind

Take good care of him MN.

Don't let the social media the last few months sour on him. He's a very hard-working guy that will bring a ton to your pass rush. Has his issues in run D (that's pretty much all due to size) but he's going to wreck things with Hunter up there.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

So is Hunter’s injury worse than a “ding?” Is he looking for more money? 

I think it’s nothing more than a rental. I don’t know if we can give a lesser DE more money than Hunter and keep him happy. 

Doesn’t strike me as likely given what we know about Hunter. 

really like the trade and i hope hunter is able to play (at his usual high level of play) because i'm really excited for all of our pass-rushing combos now. hunter+ngakoue off the edge, hunter+ngakoue with odenigbo on third downs and then the nascar package with those three and wonnum.

i know ngakoue's weakness is against the run which will be a bit of an adjustment to watch since we've been used to hunter and griffen for a long time, who both have more than enough strength to hold up there.

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How does he compare to Diggs as a player? Obviously the contract situation is quite a bit different but I feel like we got a lot more for Diggs

I’d probably say that Ngakoue is as good of a defensive end as Diggs is a wide receiver. But given the position importance, Ngakoue is probably more valuable than Diggs. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d probably say that Ngakoue is as good of a defensive end as Diggs is a wide receiver. But given the position importance, Ngakoue is probably more valuable than Diggs. 

Not sure I would make that leap, Diggs was very dynamic as a receiver and a better overall player especially lately.  Mind you Ngakoue was a steal I think for what they gave up for him.  Still who knows if they can sign him long term so could be giving up those picks for just one year of production.  That is the only issue because what they gave up is nothing compared to what the Bills gave up for Diggs.  I agree he is a really important player, a pass rushing DE and the Vikings filled the void Diggs left at WR with his clone anyway who has much less emotional baggage.  

Pretty damn good DL I must say, especially if Mata'afa continues to improve, Lynch could be a damn good player, same with Willekes and Wonnum.  Odenigbo had a great season last year and can stay in that role now that Ngakoue is here.  

Danielle Hunter Q Eddie Yarbrough Stacy Keely Kenny Willekes Q
Jaleel Johnson Armon Watts David Moa Michael Pierce
Shamar Stephen Jalyn Holmes Hercules Mata'afa James Lynch
Yannick Ngakoue Ifeadi Odenigbo Anthony Zettel D.J. Wonnum

They do need some DT greatness though for them to reach full potential as a unit.  Mata'afa I think could do that or Lynch but will see.  Need big improvement from Stephen and Johnson that is for sure and more production out of both.  Love that Odenigbo can still play that pass rushing DT spot now that Ngakoue is locked down that other DE position.  

Happy with the trade he is a play-maker on the DLine

Just a little shocked we will make this type of trade. It's either

Hunter injury or contract dispute is a real issue

Wonum and Lynch need a redshirt year. Rumor of trying to trade up for Charisson was probably true

Rick has a ton of picks and the timing was right to take a chance on an impact player 

For me, the trade has nothing to do with anything but adding an impact player at a premium position. 

It’s got the added benefit of sliding Odenigbo back into his role as a rotational end and interior rusher, and an improved pass rush helps out our young corners. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

For me, the trade has nothing to do with anything but adding an impact player at a premium position. 

It’s got the added benefit of sliding Odenigbo back into his role as a rotational end and interior rusher, and an improved pass rush helps out our young corners. 

Hunter has missed two weeks of practice. I think this had at least something to do with that. That said, he took less money, he didn’t cost us a ton, and if he sticks around for 4 years he’s an absolute steal. 

10 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Hunter has missed two weeks of practice. I think this had at least something to do with that. That said, he took less money, he didn’t cost us a ton, and if he sticks around for 4 years he’s an absolute steal. 

Wow I had no idea....😒