Vikings Trade for Yannick Ngakoue DE

CriminalMind

12 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Hunter has missed two weeks of practice. I think this had at least something to do with that. That said, he took less money, he didn’t cost us a ton, and if he sticks around for 4 years he’s an absolute steal. 

Entirely possible, and perhaps I’m naive on this point. 

Given nothing is really live during this camp, and the fact we have so many unproven players on the edge, it makes sense to me to rest any tweak Hunter may have to evaluate those edge guys. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Hunter has missed two weeks of practice. I think this had at least something to do with that. That said, he took less money, he didn’t cost us a ton, and if he sticks around for 4 years he’s an absolute steal. 

I don't think the Vikings getting Ngakoue has anything to do with Danielle Hunter being unhappy.  The guy is signed till 2023 and sure he should want a little more money that what he is getting, get a contract restruction, he is one of the top 3 defensive ends in the NFL currently.  Hell if one includes 3/4 OLBs as DEs you could argue he is top 3 still.

Either way getting Ngakoue makes that defensive unit much more dangerous that without.  One would have had to lean on Odenigbo way too much and then rely on the rookies to become great players instantly.  Where now they will have time to develop and sure might get some action but will not be as needed unless there are major injuries along the line.  Overall makes the defensive unit much more exciting and it a massive move and an upgrade compared to an older less athletic Everson Griffen who was kind of slowly on the decline.  Leadership though from Everson will be missed and not sure Ngakoue is that kind of guy at all.  

Its a Pipedream but it would be so cool to see Odenigbo take over the UT spot this year (i believe he has experience at end and tackle) and have either Watts or Stephen man the NT position with Pierce.

It would make for a very good Defensive Line.

And I trust Andre Patterson could make it work!

29 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Given nothing is really live during this camp, and the fact we have so many unproven players on the edge, it makes sense to me to rest any tweak Hunter may have to evaluate those edge guys. 

i didn't even think about that. hunter doesn't really need much time to get into game shape and he's been on the sidelines for two weeks but not rehabbing (like you would expect with someone injured).

whether he actually had a tweak or not, they could have been saving his legs for the regular season and evaluating all the young talent they have on the defensive line in a shortened off season.

Yannick Ngakoue really wanted out of Jacksonville.

Per multiple sources, Ngakoue agreed to take less money under his one-year franchise tender of $17.788 million to facilitate the trade from the Jaguars to the Vikings. As one source pegged it, the new salary will be in the range of $13.5 million. That specific number has not been confirmed, yet.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/30/yannick-ngakoue-takes-pay-cut-to-facilitate-trade-from-jaguars-to-vikings/

Edited by vike daddy

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Jalen Ramsey@jalenramsey

Congrats @YannickNgakoue .. BEYOND Happy for you! You free now!! Just go be you & all the blessings will come to you. Minnesota just got a DAWG!!

Again...this sounds like a management thing.

Tom Coughlin probably put the exodus into motion, but I don't recall him causing these sort of issues with the Giants and his first stint with Jacksonville.

What gives?

49 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Again...this sounds like a management thing.

Tom Coughlin probably put the exodus into motion, but I don't recall him causing these sort of issues with the Giants and his first stint with Jacksonville.

What gives?

Minshew’s mustache getting too much attention? 

• Like 1

I like the move to bring in Ngakoue as he is a stud DE.  He's kind of like a Terrel Suggs type, not really very big, but extremely explosive.  He's been a durable player and proven he can stay healthy a full year.  His sack pace the past 4 years is pretty close to Hunter's, but I'm curious how he's held-up on the edge as a run defender?

I think Odinegbo should be upset . . . initially.  RDE was his spot to lose and supposedly he was doing ok at camp.  Now, he has to either prove he earns that Right DE position, or accept the rotational role he's had.  The thing I feel for him on is $$$ because if he's a starter and playing well, he obviously gets a bigger paycheck next contract which is coming up for him.  The flip side is injury, say he or Hunter do get hurt and miss 4 or more games, now you have a 3rd stud DE that can play . . . and in Odinegbo's case if he were a starter that gets hurt in game 3 and is out 6-8 weeks, he'll never see the payday he will as an impact, young rotational DE.  It's all about opportunity and the way one approaches challenges.  His tweet could be a red flag . . . it could be nothing over the course of the season.

Zimmer and Patterson know what they're doing and they know what they have in the defensive linemen.  They know they're hurting at the NT position, so this move may be related to making the line a small, fast, quick unit . . . one like the Colts and Broncos employed during their semi-recent SB years.  The downside to small D-lines is control of the run game . . . the way SF ran the ball down our throats in the playoffs, a smaller D-line wouldn't help that situation.

So, here's to hoping the defense continues to improve!