Vikings Trade for Yannick Ngakoue DE

CriminalMind

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I like the move to bring in Ngakoue as he is a stud DE.  He's kind of like a Terrel Suggs type, not really very big, but extremely explosive.  He's been a durable player and proven he can stay healthy a full year.  His sack pace the past 4 years is pretty close to Hunter's, but I'm curious how he's held-up on the edge as a run defender?

I think Odinegbo should be upset . . . initially.  RDE was his spot to lose and supposedly he was doing ok at camp.  Now, he has to either prove he earns that Right DE position, or accept the rotational role he's had.  The thing I feel for him on is $$$ because if he's a starter and playing well, he obviously gets a bigger paycheck next contract which is coming up for him.  The flip side is injury, say he or Hunter do get hurt and miss 4 or more games, now you have a 3rd stud DE that can play . . . and in Odinegbo's case if he were a starter that gets hurt in game 3 and is out 6-8 weeks, he'll never see the payday he will as an impact, young rotational DE.  It's all about opportunity and the way one approaches challenges.  His tweet could be a red flag . . . it could be nothing over the course of the season.

Zimmer and Patterson know what they're doing and they know what they have in the defensive linemen.  They know they're hurting at the NT position, so this move may be related to making the line a small, fast, quick unit . . . one like the Colts and Broncos employed during their semi-recent SB years.  The downside to small D-lines is control of the run game . . . the way SF ran the ball down our throats in the playoffs, a smaller D-line wouldn't help that situation.

So, here's to hoping the defense continues to improve!

Fact is if Odinegbo out plays Ngakoue then he will be paid.  Sure maybe he is pissed about the signing, then do something about it and take your game to even another level after a fine season last year.  

Ngakoue over the past few years is 3rd in the NFL in total QB pressures.  So the dude is legit, Odinegbo has only been good for one season and hopefully he can do it again, I love him as a rotation DT pass rusher though and honestly as a starting DE not sure he could do it.  But hey, beat out Ngakoue with your play and be the starter and make him the rotational pass rusher.  Doubt that happens but if he thinks he is better, prove it.  Both are up for a new contract 2021, so will see how earns it, great competition!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

So, what number does Ngakoue wear?

Jalyn Holmes currently wears #91, which he just switched to after Weatherly left, and Zettal has Holmes’ former #92.

available numbers for DEs are 43, 57, 62, and 67.

Do we need to cut someone to add him to the roster?

Odenigbo is either an RFA or ERFA next year. Vikings will be able to keep him for cheap — maximum $3M-ish for 2021 if he gets tendered as a 2nd rounder RFA.

Signing Ngakoue is more related to the Vikings lack of depth behind Odenigbo than Odenigbo himself. Prior to the trade, DE3 and DE4 were some combination of Eddie Yarbrough (800 career snaps, 1 career sack), Anthony Zettel (cut twice last year), Jalyn Holmes (a DT his first 2 years, 1 career sack) and rookies Wonnum and Willekes. 

Zimmer regularly uses 3 DEs even if one of them isn’t playing DT in 3rd downs, and Odenigbo is probably one of their best 2 interior rushers on 3rd downs (along with either Watts or Mata’afa). There’s enough snaps to go around for Hunter and Ngakoue to play as full time starters, while Odenigbo still gets ~500 snaps, mostly in pass rush situations. 

I like the move to add a blue chip player for a modest cost in draft capital. I’d made the point when we were discussing trading a 2nd for Desmond King that they need to add some prime age talent. Their 2016 and 17 drafts yielded next to nothing in terms of long term cornerstones (especially if Cook doesn’t get extended), and that’s a big donut hole in the middle of the roster, separating the vets age 28 and up (Kendricks, Barr, Cousins, Thielen, the safeties, etc) from the last few draft classes. 

I’m a bit surprised that they did go after Ngakoue. He projects as a speed edge rusher, playing from a wide 9 alignment and trying to bend the edge around the tackle. Stylistically, he reminds me of Cliff Avril — similarly undersized, fast and likes to jump the snap and get upfield. I thought Zimmer would have rather had DEs who could play tighter to the tackle and provide better contain, to say nothing of holding up against the run (which has been a weakness for Ngakoue). 

I think we may see a different approach from the Vikings this year, given the lack of a big DE and the loss of Pierce as the space eater NT. I think they might try to play more single high safety with an extra player (Smith as an SS or Wilson as a LB) in the box. They could defend the run better with more bodies, at the expense of some coverage on the back end. But Harris can cover a lot of ground as a centerfielder and if Zimmer thinks he can leave one or two of his young corners on an island with less help, he may be able to afford to be more aggressive. Having more players in the box at the snap also would leave the option of running more blitzes — bringing Smith or a LB from the second level, or even a corner off the edge. 

Edited by Krauser

I know Ifeadi is upset, but teams can’t pass up opportunities like this, and he’s still going to get a lot of snaps as a rotational player, and to begin the year I’m betting he starts, and when YN enters the game Ifeadi can reduce down into the interior. 

If Ngakoue is re-signed long term, I can definitely see a shift to more of a true under front in the cards with him added to our personnel group. I don’t see that happening as much this year with the off-season they’ve had. 

also... Yannick is a year younger than Ifeadi, and multiple years younger than Yarborough and Zettel.  Not often you get to add an impact piece that also makes you younger. 

• Like 1

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Now with Ngakoue, I’ve got 10 DL making the final roster. Hunter, Ngakoue, Odenigbo, Wonnum, and Willekes at DE, and Stephen, Watts, Mata’afa, Johnson, and Lynch at DT. 

What’s the latest with Willekes injury? Might he be an IR candidate. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Now with Ngakoue, I’ve got 10 DL making the final roster. Hunter, Ngakoue, Odenigbo, Wonnum, and Willekes at DE, and Stephen, Watts, Mata’afa, Johnson, and Lynch at DT. 

I have the same 10 but with Holmes replacing Willekes. He has been taking all the first team reps at left end with Hunter being out 

2 minutes ago, rusty28264 said:

I have the same 10 but with Holmes replacing Willekes. He has been taking all the first team reps at left end with Hunter being out 

I think Holmes’ time is up. Not going to be many snaps left after Ngakoue gets here, and I think the team will choose the rookie and his potential over the 3rd year player who really hasn’t shown any to this point. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think Holmes’ time is up. Not going to be many snaps left after Ngakoue gets here, and I think the team will choose the rookie and his potential over the 3rd year player who really hasn’t shown any to this point. 

It’s not like Willekes has shown anything. He’s a 7th rounder, should be easy to get to the PS.

I think they’ll keep Holmes so they have at least one DE who weighs more than Kyle Rudolph. Holmes at this point is more likely to be active on game days than either Wonnum or Willekes. He might also be the 4th best DT on the roster, ahead of Mata’afa and Lynch.