Lovecraft Country (TV Show Spoilers)

Oregon Ducks

Is anyone watching this show produced by Jordan Peele on HBO? My mind is blown, tbh. So many elements and they all work so well. The last episode seemed like a finale and it’s only episode 2! I wonder where they go from here.

If you haven’t seen it, episode 1 is currently free on YouTube:

So far this is looking like must watch TV.  

Also, if you’re familiar with the source material keep those spoilers out of here.

The pacing of this show is so odd, but it works. I like the story and the characters so far, so I'll keep watching. Going in, I was only expecting vague references to Lovecraft-ian elements and a creepy atmosphere, so I was surprised to see it go all out with the Lovecraft monsters and such.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify- I was expecting more of like 2008's "Cthulhu", but with racism, which I would have liked to see as well. Actually having giant scary monsters and secret cults and stuff is really cool though. And the show is doing a really good job blending the actual real world threats (racism) with the crazy, magic ones (monsters, etc).

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 11:27 AM, minutemancl said:

The pacing of this show is so odd, but it works. I like the story and the characters so far, so I'll keep watching. Going in, I was only expecting vague references to Lovecraft-ian elements and a creepy atmosphere, so I was surprised to see it go all out with the Lovecraft monsters and such.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify- I was expecting more of like 2008's "Cthulhu", but with racism, which I would have liked to see as well. Actually having giant scary monsters and secret cults and stuff is really cool though. And the show is doing a really good job blending the actual real world threats (racism) with the crazy, magic ones (monsters, etc).

My exact thoughts. Pacing is seemingly a mess on first watch, but somehow it works. Need to catch up on the latest episode, but my wife and I have enjoyed it so far. Not too familiar w/ Lovecraft's works or the book this is based off of, so all of this is fairly new to us, but it's been a good watch to this point.

23 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Thank you for this.  This was exactly what I was afraid of with this show.  If there's one thing I hate most in movies and television it's when they lie to me about this sort of thing.

I still have PTSD over M. Night Shyamalan lying to me with The Village.

That whole man is the real monster BS trope pisses me off.  Yeah, I know that.  Now let me see some fake monsters and fake horror. 

The Mist did this perfectly.  The monsters were real while showing monsters of men. 

The Village ****ed it up and ****ING LIED TO ME.  I still have not recovered. 

I won't watch it until it has run its course because I will never trust HBO again.  They ****ed me with Carnivale, and they ****ed me again with Game of Thrones.  Now?  I wait until they've finished something before I start it. 

Edited by Outpost31

Just saw the third episode last night. I think the first 95% of the episode I'm like, this is enjoyable, but what the hell is the connection to the first two episodes, is every episode a one off? Then in the last 5 minutes, I was like ahhhhhh, I get it now lol. So, that was a nice way to tie it all together at the end.

But at least for me, the "horror" in this show feels more campy than anything. It's definitely not on par with something like Haunting of Hill House. I assume that is intended, but the more this show progresses, the more it seems like a sci-fi action/adventure vs a full on horror series. Not that it detracts from the quality of the show itself, simply my expectations going into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the 1st episode, convinced myself to stick with it the 2nd episode, gave up the 3rd episode. 

I was very excited for a show to tackle Jim Crow era racism in a creative, new way. There are tons of great historically accurate shows and films about this era, I would argue right now its becoming a surplus, and for something to take a creative, surreal look seemed really refreshing. But this show is campy as hell. I also dislike 'all or nothing' takes on racism, this show doesnt have a single white character (So far) who would not feel at home in the SS-Einsatzgruppen. Throw me some shades of grey man. 

Also, how you going to get rid of Courtney B Vance so quickly. That dude is such an underrated talent. 

8 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Loved the 1st episode, convinced myself to stick with it the 2nd episode, gave up the 3rd episode. 

I was very excited for a show to tackle Jim Crow era racism in a creative, new way. There are tons of great historically accurate shows and films about this era, I would argue right now its becoming a surplus, and for something to take a creative, surreal look seemed really refreshing. But this show is campy as hell. I also dislike 'all or nothing' takes on racism, this show doesnt have a single white character (So far) who would not feel at home in the SS-Einsatzgruppen. Throw me some shades of grey man. 

Also, how you going to get rid of Courtney B Vance so quickly. That dude is such an underrated talent. 

This is not that kind of show. If you are looking for some white savior or whatever that's not this show and it shouldn't be. You want this show to be like everything else. Maybe you should keep watching the show instead of dismissing it or maybe not since you don't seem to grasp the concept of it.

This is not that kind of show. If you are looking for some white savior or whatever that's not this show and it shouldn't be. You want this show to be like everything else. Maybe you should keep watching the show instead of dismissing it or maybe not since you don't seem to grasp the concept of it.

Absolutely not looking for that, but a character with a single redeemable quality would be nice. A moral conundrum for a moment even if the character choses the immoral path would be nice and add depth to the show. Its important to show that otherwise good people can conform to the crowd and make bad decisions in atmospheres that foster racism, xenophobia, etc. Even shows that otherwise seem to toe the standard good vs evil trope like Star Wars have characters like that. The banality of evil at a social level if you will. 

And that isnt the reason I am dismissing the show, I am dismissing it because its not that good. Its super campy, almost feels like a Goosebumps novel or something. Which is sad because the first episode was great.