Mariners-Padres swap Nola for Trammell in 7 player deal

Eagles27

I really like Nola, but this would be a great sell high if "highly regarded" isn't hyperbole.

Nola is a solid player, who would be very valuable if he were 4-5 years younger. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

8 minutes ago, Slateman said:

*spits drink* Wait what

Am I missing something on Nola? He's a 30 year old 2nd year player. was meh his rookie year. Are we really supposed to believe he is worth Trammell based on 30 games this year? That seems like a massive overpay.

7 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Am I missing something on Nola? He's a 30 year old 2nd year player. was meh his rookie year. Are we really supposed to believe he is worth Trammell based on 30 games this year? That seems like a massive overpay.

Bat first catcher with position flexibility. Offense isn't a total fluke IMO.  

I don't think he is worth a top 75 prospect, but I guess the Padres overlooked his age and put a lot of value on his years of control. 

6 minutes ago, mse326 said:

The Padres had a team OPS+ of 125 which would rank 2nd all time. Now they are replacing Austin Hedges (69 OPS+) with Austin Nola (150 OPS+) and will start Mitch Moreland (202 OPS+) instead of Jurickson Profar (76 OPS+).

Even if he reverts to last season, 114 wRC+ catchers dont exactly grow in trees.

Its telling that two organizations traded a top 50-75 prospect within a year. They probably dont think Trammell is going to hit enough in the majors, and that is a major concern. Still love the trade for the Mariners. Munoz has a legit 80 fastball and can be your closer after he recovers from surgery and I wouldnt be surprised if France is the starting 2B for the Mariners by the end of the year if Seager isnt unloaded. He's going to be useful.

4 minutes ago, Slateman said:

The Padres had a team OPS+ of 125 which would rank 2nd all time. Now they are replacing Austin Hedges (69 OPS+) with Austin Nola (150 OPS+) and will start Mitch Moreland (202 OPS+) instead of Jurickson Profar (76 OPS+).

Even if he reverts to last season, 114 wRC+ catchers dont exactly grow in trees.

Moreland is irrelevant to this trade.

1. I know Mejia is playing like crap but it is far too early to give up on him
2. It was 114 playing mostly infield. The wear and tear of being a full time catcher I would expect it to be lower. Even in the minors he only had 2 seasons catching over 30 games. Now that does mean he doesn't have the wear and tear of a 30 year old catcher, but you would still expect him to hit worse as a full time catcher.

I'm not saying he doesn't have value, but he doesn't have Taylor Trammell value.

2 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Its telling that two organizations traded a top 50-75 prospect within a year. They probably dont think Trammell is going to hit enough in the majors, and that is a major concern. Still love the trade for the Mariners. Munoz has a legit 80 fastball and can be your closer after he recovers from surgery and I wouldnt be surprised if France is the starting 2B for the Mariners by the end of the year if Seager isnt unloaded. He's going to be useful.

I don't know that trading him for Trevor Bauer is telling. Bauer has been dealing, it wasn't a sell low.

17 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

With the Pads sending out some quality prospects do you think this takes them out of the clevinger deal or would they be willing to deplete the farm system a little more and do what it takes to get someone like Clev.

No, not even close. They're still the favorites.