Mariners-Padres swap Nola for Trammell in 7 player deal

Eagles27

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

No, not even close. They're still the favorites.

Actually as of a few hours ago it seem they are no longer the favorites.  According to multiple sources 2 teams offered more than the Padres have been offering and the Indians asked both of those teams for physicals on their players but didn't ask the Pads for any physicals on their guys.   Guessing it's the Braves and the Chi Sox maybe as the other team if i had to guess the 2nd one.   Not to say the Pads can't come back in and make an even bigger offer than what they was to take the lead but as of right now it seems their not in the driver seat anymore.

5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Actually as of a few hours ago it seem they are no longer the favorites.  According to multiple sources 2 teams offered more than the Padres have been offering and the Indians asked both of those teams for physicals on their players but didn't ask the Pads for any physicals on their guys.   Guessing it's the Braves and the Chi Sox maybe as the other team if i had to guess the 2nd one.   Not to say the Pads can't come back in and make an even bigger offer than what they was to take the lead but as of right now it seems their not in the driver seat anymore.

Huh, weird. I must of missed the report that the Padres no longer have MacKenzie Gore.

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

They’re making the playoffs and are probably not a bad team anymore.

I meant recently, as in they haven't been good in recent times. So there is panic that this is finally the time. We have to make the push now. And that results in making bad deals in the name of winning now

12 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I meant recently, as in they haven't been good in recent times. So there is panic that this is finally the time. We have to make the push now. And that results in making bad deals in the name of winning now

Honestly don’t think this deal will end up being catastrophic for them, even if Nola doesn’t work out. France is a JAG and Trammel isn’t some super elite prospect. I’ll concede to you that Preller has a history of going all-in with dumbass deals, but unlike 2015, this team is actually competitive.

And idk, maybe it is the time? Hosmer is 30 and might pull one of his 3-4 WAR (pro-rated) years out of his *** one last time. Manny is 28, Tatis is going to get expensive soonish. Pham is 32, Yates is old, etc.

I’m obviously making some stretches here, but I don’t like throwing away legit competitive years out of some vague hope for the future. I bet the Braves wished they cashed in on some of these prospects that they’re practically giving up on now.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Looks like yall came back and upped the offers again and where as yall did give quite a few bit of players to get him.  I don't think yall erally gave up anything substantial as i don't see any of your top 5 prospects in there.  When the Braves were asked for Waters im guessing they decided no on that as Waters would have for sure been higher than any of the prospects on that list given.  Congrats on getting Clev. thats a really good pickup for yall my friend.

14 hours ago, mse326 said:

Moreland is irrelevant to this trade.

1. I know Mejia is playing like crap but it is far too early to give up on him
2. It was 114 playing mostly infield. The wear and tear of being a full time catcher I would expect it to be lower. Even in the minors he only had 2 seasons catching over 30 games. Now that does mean he doesn't have the wear and tear of a 30 year old catcher, but you would still expect him to hit worse as a full time catcher.

I'm not saying he doesn't have value, but he doesn't have Taylor Trammell value.

this is the classic "prospects get overrated" thinking. Whats Taylor Trammel value? Two teams have moved him, hes 23 and hasnt really hit for any power yet, isnt a great contact guy and theres a chance he stays in left. By no means does this mean that teams dont make mistakes or just do stupid things, but we have some pretty decent evidence that Taylor Trammel might not be as good as some think.

3 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

One more thing: just bc a Mariners GM ripped off the dumbest person in baseball for Kelenic doesn’t mean I’m gonna start trusting their judgment lol. Ever since the fabled “Jack-Z” we’ve been hearing about how brilliant these guys are and I’m not buying it!! 😆

Mariners fan here ; trade imbalance is blown out of proportion.

Nola draws walks and hits ok for a catcher, and has positional flexibility (has played 1B, 2B and OF). Good piece for a contending team. Adams has great stuff, but cant stay health. Atavilla has an incredible fastball, and one of those guys that if it can click for a 20+ game stretch can be a really valuable arm OOTB. 

Trammell is Rule 5 Eligible after this coming year, and probably didnt fit into the Padres future plans.  From what I heard/read, this move gives the Padres alot of 40 man wiggle room, while Seattle doesnt really care about that at this point. 

Anyway, difference between the Jack Z and Dipoto regimes, is DiPotos FO seems to have actually have a knack for actually developing players. The fabled gas camp has been legit difference maker for alot of arms throughout the org. And they have taken on some really interesting reclamation projects (Gonzalez is the crown jewel of this, Crawford has been solid, didnt work out for Mallax). Anyway, this time 2.5 years ago, Seattle had one of the worst farm systems in baseball, and Dipoto has been really good about shifting from contending to building. 

But yeah, dude aint infallible. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1