Week 1 Eagles Vs Washington (Insert name)

mar29020

10 hours ago, Troublez said:

Really? With everything that happened this off-season? If I were switching employers -  why would I possibly go to a team that:

1) Is owned by an individual implicated in a SLEW of negative non-football related press (leaving it there)

2) Whose ownership in general was considered volatile - as in might change

3) Whose best player refused to take the field and was ultimately traded for less than Market Value

4) Whose prior Executive Management was voted as "least trustworthy" by NFL Agents

5) Whose Home Crowds  - often dominated by opposing team fans - do not offer any competitive advantage

6) And finally, who finished 3-13 

@Skins212689 - I would love your input on your stance. I cant seem to view any positives from your perspective.

Some fans still don't have a sense of objectivity.  This post 100%.  Rivera has to rebuild the brand in more ways than one.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not disputing your point just the timing of it.  I think the plan was to see what we have in house.  

Multiple factors come into play here.  The most optimal way to build a contender is to have everyone developing along the same timeframe (and on cheap contracts).  I think this is a multiple year rebuild.  In a few years when we are actually ready to contend any FAs we had signed would be A) too old to help us at that part and/or B) their cap holds could have ballooned to a very high level right at the time we're going to need to be re-signing some of our homegrown talent to extensions.  COVID also is a major component here.  We have no idea what is going to happen to the cap next year. 

What if we had signed a top flight WR last year?  Would McLaurin have done what he had done without those snaps?  We have young draft picks that need snaps, some of them might surprise us.  I don't disagree with you about the TE spot.  We don't have anyone worth developing on the roster IMO, it was just unfortunately a bad draft for TEs.  I wasn't particularly thrilled with the TEs they brought in.  

I'm hoping Geron Christian has a break out year.  If he doesn't, I like Charles' upside.  You're right that neither Roullier or Moses are elite.  I think Martin doesn't have a high ceiling either.  But we've never let Christian be the guy, and we spent a 3rd round pick on him.  Eventually we have to put him out there and see what we have.  

I don't agree with the opinion that Haskins needs to be coddled by signing a bunch of big time FAs (I'm not singling you out I've seen several people post this).  Great QBs elevate the other players around him.  If Haskins is a great QB he will jump off the screen no matter what.  The Browns went and got Baker Mayfield OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Njoku, Chubb and more last year and he still struggled at times.  I don't think having "weapons" makes that big of a difference in the development of a QB.  He either has it or doesn't.  And just for clarification, I do agree we need to upgrade our WRs and TEs, but we probably need to do it through the draft which will take several years.  

I kind of described my thinking above, just to line up the contracts timing wise better.  Agreed that busts happen, I think we should be trying to acquire more draft picks to help with the rebuild, by trading guys like Ryan Kerrigan. 

I don't totally disagree with what you're saying, but the kind of guys that will sign with an organization in Year 1 in a rebuild are just chasing money.  Do we need guys like that?  

I get where you are coming from.  I just still think there was room for one more big move which would have kept Rivera on his rebuild year plan while giving us a bit more of a chance.  Either a WR or a TE would have covered it.  Look it didn't have to be a cooper, but we could have at least got us a Randall Cobb or Emmanuel Sanders.  You are right, we may have had to pay them a couple million more a year than who they signed with, but we had no problem giving guys like Sean Davis guaranteed money and cutting him before a snap.  I agree the TE market was limited both in FA and draft, but if we weren't going to get a WR I would have argued to at least get a Ebron or someone along that lines.  I am not trying to coddle Haskins, I just want to give the offense a little balance.

I think timing wise we need to be ready to roll by 2022 which is Haskins last season before we have to do something.  Haskins the franchise qb might be a pipe dream, but we should still be planning like he is for real at this point.  So I don't agree with the big named free agents being too old or gone by then.  But you are right about the middling players I listed above.  They would be done and dusted by then.  

You are right in the lack of consistency here.  Rivera seems to be going with this full sit on his hands and evaluate this year, but then he keeps guys like Kerrigan and Alex Smith which make no sense.  We should have taken the Alex Smith cap hit.   So I don't get his plan there.  I guess there is still time to trade them both.  I still have mixed feelings about trading Kerrigan.  But if we aren't going to extend him, we might as well.

I hope you are right about Christian, I am hoping so too.  It would be a stroke of luck that would change our fortunes.  But I am pretty sure that wasn't Rivera's plan.  He banked on Charles which was a long shot to begin with and now is dealing with a major speed bump.

The biggest thing I feel like we underestimate is the natural roster turnover we will face no matter what.   We might spend some money next year, but I think we will be plugging holes still because of it unless we get really lucky and a host of these guys like Charles, Sims, Gibson, Golden all emerge as serious players.  I will be rooting for that luck!

Appreciate the thoughtful discourse.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We should have taken the Alex Smith cap hit.   So I don't get his plan there.

Agreed.  My guess is after the PR ish show they went through this offseason they couldn't bring themselves to cut a guy who's been through what Alex has.  Keeping him around appears to be an emotional decision cause it makes no sense football wise.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:
11 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We should have taken the Alex Smith cap hit.   So I don't get his plan there.

Agreed.  My guess is after the PR ish show they went through this offseason they couldn't bring themselves to cut a guy who's been through what Alex has.  Keeping him around appears to be an emotional decision cause it makes no sense football wise.  

I guess the theory is that if you're going to pay him (and his salary was guaranteed), you might as well keep him on the roster as some sort of on the sideline mentor.

Kind of the same theory why they signed Maher to the practice squad. It's going to be hard to get an equivalent coach in at this point.

*shrugs* Was there someone we feel shouldn't have been cut but lost out because they kept Smith?

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Or else Danny is still forcing decisions on those under him.  I saw him in the ownership suite last year way too many times.  

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

I guess the theory is that if you're going to pay him (and his salary was guaranteed), you might as well keep him on the roster as some sort of on the sideline mentor.

Kind of the same theory why they signed Maher to the practice squad. It's going to be hard to get an equivalent coach in at this point.

*shrugs* Was there someone we feel shouldn't have been cut but lost out because they kept Smith?

Your seriously just gonna "shrug" of Emotional Decisions being made Oppose to Business? 

If Smith is on the IR he can't be on the sideline? If Rivera had a problem with Haskins they also had a opportunity to draft Tua, yet passed. 

Edited by Skins212689

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Your seriously just gonna "shrug" of Emotional Decisions being made Oppose to Business? 

If Smith is on the IR he can't be on the sideline? If Rivera had a problem with Haskins they also had a opportunity to do that with Tua. 

He can be on the sideline.  Problem was, he was in the owner's box last year instead of on the sidelines.  That didn't sit very well with me.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

He can be on the sideline.  Problem was, he was in the owner's box last year instead of on the sidelines.  That didn't sit very well with me.  

Ok cool since he can be on the sideline, he could do his coaching up Haskins and anybody else from there while on IR. Not the 53 man roster. 

25 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Who should have made the roster that didn't because of Alex Smith?

And I can make an entire business case of keeping him: "well, we've paid him the money. Cutting him (if we don't have a better option somewhere else) is silly. Might as well get something out of him, even if it is 'hey, Dwayne, calm down' or 'next time, do this instead.'"

21 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:
21 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I change my opinion......

Eagles 31 - Football Team 14

Ha, is JP moving to LT really worth an extra 10 point difference?

It's partly that, but we may get Reagor, Sanders, Johnson, and Barnett back for the game. Obviously if some of those guys miss, then I could go back down, but I'm feeling a bit better about this game than I was a week ago when I thought some of these guys would for sure miss week 1 and JP would be at RG.