Week 1 Eagles Vs Washington (Insert name)

mar29020

14 hours ago, Woz said:

Who should have made the roster that didn't because of Alex Smith?

And I can make an entire business case of keeping him: "well, we've paid him the money. Cutting him (if we don't have a better option somewhere else) is silly. Might as well get something out of him, even if it is 'hey, Dwayne, calm down' or 'next time, do this instead.'"

I don't have a name but I'm sure Kyle Smith could give you one. Alex Smith could still be on the sideline if he was on the IR. So why not do that instead of filling the 53 man roster with player's who can actually play in a game? 

Is Alex Smith ready to go into the game if needed? 

42 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I don't have a name but I'm sure Kyle Smith could give you one. Alex Smith could still be on the sideline if he was on the IR. So why not do that instead of filling the 53 man roster with player's who can actually play in a game? 

I thought I read somewhere that those players CAN'T be on the sideline due to COVID restrictions. 

15 hours ago, Woz said:

Who should have made the roster that didn't because of Alex Smith?

And I can make an entire business case of keeping him: "well, we've paid him the money. Cutting him (if we don't have a better option somewhere else) is silly. Might as well get something out of him, even if it is 'hey, Dwayne, calm down' or 'next time, do this instead.'"

Reuben Foster is the first one that I would throw out there, in response to the bolded. 

And yes, I get it. Reuben Foster is a “bad guy.” And Alex Smith could be President one day, he’s the exact prototype you’d draw up for the perfect best friend or the guy you hope would marry your daughter. 

But only one of them has any real chance of starting for Washington in 2-3 years when they could be good. And it’s not the one they kept on the active roster to keep alive the chance he could get some snaps this year. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Well, with Fuller likely out, I'm starting DeSean in fantasy.  

That's a significant downgrade for our secondary.

No faith in Fabs? Haha 😂 jk, I would too. At least DJax shouldn’t be able to blow by our FS anymore as they’re both 4.3 forty guys.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Apke might have improved during the offseason and come into training camp much better than expected. However, he’s not been able to be around the coaches and practice within the context of the team and the defensive scheme, which makes it harder for him to improve. The improvement for Apke is necessary because the player who started two games against the Vikings and the Bills last season is not ready to be a full-time starting free safety in the NFL. Perhaps an improved pass rush and a simpler scheme that requires him to think less and play faster, as Rivera and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio have talked about all offseason, will help make things easier for Apke and allow him to perform better. But based on how he played last year, free safety would be a weakness for this team.

Damn we're really gonna destroy all that confidence he built up in the shortened training camp. Sorry Troy. 😈

21 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

What happens when Jalen Reagor is streaking down the other side of the field?

Will Apke cover both?

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

I’m just going to take a wild guess but I think one of them will tweak a hamstring. DJax has battled injuries to his his entire career and Reagor isn’t 100% with his shoulder anyway. I don’t foresee Reagor going deep as much as DJax either.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:
25 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Damn we're really gonna destroy all that confidence he built up in the shortened training camp. Sorry Troy. 

Where did you get that from and when was it written?

https://theathletic.com/2012164/2020/08/22/troy-apke-needs-significant-improvement-to-become-wfts-starting-free-safety/

Mark Bullock of The Athletic and it was published August 22nd after the first week of padded practices.

Bullock also wrote some articles on different coverages Washington might run which are probably worth a read.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:
32 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

What happens when Jalen Reagor is streaking down the other side of the field?

Will Apke cover both?

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

I’m just going to take a wild guess but I think one of them will tweak a hamstring. DJax has battled injuries to his his entire career and Reagor isn’t 100% with his shoulder anyway. I don’t foresee Reagor going deep as much as DJax either.

Don't you wish more injury voodoo on us. We have enough going already haha.

Yeah, I don't think Reagor will be going deep as much, but there will be some plays when both are I'm sure.