Week 1 Eagles Vs Washington (Insert name)

mar29020

If you want to get a couple good laughs, I just spent an enjoyable 15 minutes or so scrolling through the Eagles GDT. It was quite a rollercoaster ride, and I for one got a real kick out of the rug being yanked out from under them after they were riding so high in the first 20 minutes or so. 

The first 9 pages were classic pre-game GDT. There was much excitement, concern, curiosity. The overall mindset was confidence that they’d win, but they were concerned about injuries. In their defense, a 50% prediction success rate isn’t bad.

Page 10: The game begins. The masses are fired up and enjoying the hot start.

Page 18: The hysteria has reached a fever pitch, as the fly Eagles fly out to a 17-0 lead. My favorite post: “this is a preseason game for us.”

Page 22: Wentz throws the pick to Moreau. Mild concern begins to creep in. No one acknowledges the Haskins-to-Thomas TD, but one particularly pessimistic (and prescient) poster states “The collapse begins.”

Page 25: “You all are stressing over nothing, the Redskins are badddddd.”

Page 26: Wentz throws the pick to Moreland. A solid mix of “what the **** is going on?” and “I knew this was going to happen” begins to filter through from the masses.

Page 29: Following the TD to cut it to 17-14, anger has set in. Mostly directed at Wentz. Likely favorite comment: “Everything is your fault Carson.” Runner up: “it’s sickening that jalen hurts isn’t active and can’t take over at qb.”

Page 34: Anger has fully set in now, as Washington has taken the lead. “We are losing to this team. Holy this blows.”

Page 37: As the last minutes tick down, the obligatory allocation of blame commences. The consensus seems to be that blame should be shared equally between injuries, Wentz, Pederson, and a certain poster who wondered why the Eagles are so underrated in NFL Gen.

Page 39: The post-mortem commences. One poster deems this “an all-time low.”

The remaining 6 pages wind down with a delightful medley of different types of posts. Some looking for the positives. Some looking to the future (next week, the NFC East race, the 2021 draft). Some still assigning blame (more for Wentz, more for Pederson, some for Ertz, some for the GDT thread starter of all people). Some trashing Washington/Haskins and how bad they are (as if they didn’t just get done beating their trash can team by 10 and as if their $130M QB didn’t blow the game for them while Haskins managed to get through with no big mistakes despite less talent around him). 

All in all, a very fun experience. Almost as fun as actually watching the game. A come from behind Week One win is always a great feeling of course, but even better to do it against a division rival — whose tears can sustain us all year long. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

If you want to get a couple good laughs, I just spent an enjoyable 15 minutes or so scrolling through the Eagles GDT. It was quite a rollercoaster ride, and I for one got a real kick out of the rug being yanked out from under them after they were riding so high in the first 20 minutes or so. 

The first 9 pages were classic pre-game GDT. There was much excitement, concern, curiosity. The overall mindset was confidence that they’d win, but they were concerned about injuries. In their defense, a 50% prediction success rate isn’t bad.

Page 10: The game begins. The masses are fired up and enjoying the hot start.

Page 18: The hysteria has reached a fever pitch, as the fly Eagles fly out to a 17-0 lead. My favorite post: “this is a preseason game for us.”

Page 22: Wentz throws the pick to Moreau. Mild concern begins to creep in. No one acknowledges the Haskins-to-Thomas TD, but one particularly pessimistic (and prescient) poster states “The collapse begins.”

Page 25: “You all are stressing over nothing, the Redskins are badddddd.”

Page 26: Wentz throws the pick to Moreland. A solid mix of “what the **** is going on?” and “I knew this was going to happen” begins to filter through from the masses.

Page 29: Following the TD to cut it to 17-14, anger has set in. Mostly directed at Wentz. Likely favorite comment: “Everything is your fault Carson.” Runner up: “it’s sickening that jalen hurts isn’t active and can’t take over at qb.”

Page 34: Anger has fully set in now, as Washington has taken the lead. “We are losing to this team. Holy this blows.”

Page 37: As the last minutes tick down, the obligatory allocation of blame commences. The consensus seems to be that blame should be shared equally between injuries, Wentz, Pederson, and a certain poster who wondered why the Eagles are so underrated in NFL Gen.

Page 39: The post-mortem commences. One poster deems this “an all-time low.”

The remaining 6 pages wind down with a delightful medley of different types of posts. Some looking for the positives. Some looking to the future (next week, the NFC East race, the 2021 draft). Some still assigning blame (more for Wentz, more for Pederson, some for Ertz, some for the GDT thread starter of all people). Some trashing Washington/Haskins and how bad they are (as if they didn’t just get done beating their trash can team by 10 and as if their $130M QB didn’t blow the game for them while Haskins managed to get through with no big mistakes despite less talent around him). 

All in all, a very fun experience. Almost as fun as actually watching the game. A come from behind Week One win is always a great feeling of course, but even better to do it against a division rival — whose tears can sustain us all year long. 

These are my favorites:

A backhanded sarcastic slam at us in this one:

whatever  guys its okay. We were lucky to even have a close game against the juggernaut of a team in the football team.

And this one:

Remember that time we lost to a bottom 5 team that doesn't even have a name? 

This one was at least complimentary

This too. The amount of talent stacked on that DL reminds me of Strahan, Tuck, Osi, JPP and the other Giants DLs of the late 2000s. I’m definitely worried about the cowboys front 7 but the WFT’s front 4 is on another level. 

• Like 1

@e16bball If you read the first half of this thread people we’re talking about who we would take in the top 5 again, even if we should consider Lawrence. Everyone in the team sucked in most people’s eyes. LBs couldn’t cover any better; why was KPL hyped up so much? Why is he starting over Holcomb?

Let’s not forget that Holcomb can’t cover either and blew a lot of coverages last year. Apke should be benched for a 7th round rookie in his first ever pro game, Steven Sims sucks, Christian sucks and of course we should’ve kept Adrian Peterson bc he looked good in the first quarter for Det, etc etc. 

But, from the time of Moreau’s interception until and through today, people are excited again to watch these young guys play. Of course we are all still worried about certain things but we seem more excited to see these young guys play and get this, the season isn’t over after just 25 minutes of the first game!

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

This was the best of it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

That puts some perspective on how productive Kerrigan was.  What if he played double his snaps?

I actually think it’s helps Kerrigan at his age to not have to play 50 snaps a game anymore. Him playing 20-30 snaps is a good number for him to keep him fresh.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Was watching the game again and was watching JFM's pick. Hard to see just from TV. But I think this really could'be been a pick 6 if one player had done something different. 

If Bostic had peeled back and taken out the receiver (the one that ended up trailing Jimmy and tripping him up), then Moreland could've threaded his blockers downfield. The guy Bostic was blocking downfield, Sweat would've gotten. 

At JMU they did the following whenever there was an INT:

1. All the receivers were immediately blocked by the DBs/LBs that were covering them.
  2. The QB was blocked/screened from going anywhere.
  3. After that, the DB with the pick should be able to outrun the fat guys on the OL.

It's why JMU had so many pick-6's and one reason why JFM had 6 in his career there.

Looking at it, Bostic is flying across the field and I think only sort of saw the receiver who had pulled up once the play didn't go his way. He keyed on Moreland's INT and took off.

Also, Curl looks like he may have bumped into Sweat downfield, which might have freed up the QB to stop Moreland.

Still, it would have been nice.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah. I know the instinct is to "go upfield", but it is definitely something the D wants to practice more. I'm watching it again and can't believe I missed it but it was DJax who caught him and tripped him up. The only other Eagle that had a chance due to the angle was the OL and he would've missed him. 

Which also goes with the whole "gave up on the play when the ball didn't come his way thing."

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

The other option was that Bostic could've kept going but Sweat turns to the right to see Moreland and can clearly see Djax trailing him. He easily could've peeled right to block him.

Indeed. In watching it again, Curl was trying to tie up the OL and did *just* barely enough to probably give Moreland the lane. Sweat turning around knocking Jackson into next week would have been easy peasy lemon squeezy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh ... so I can go trolling other GDTs now. Had not even considered that now that I'm retired. Excellent!

• Like 1