Texans extend ILB Zach Cunningham

ET80

59 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

That’s a lot of money we have tied up in the MLB position. But Cunningham is worth it. McKinley is on notice though 

I think McKinney is either heavily restructured or cut next season... probably cut, given the cap will go down.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think McKinney is either heavily restructured or cut next season... probably cut, given the cap will go down.

Ya, all his guaranteed money is paid out after this season, so he can be cut a very little cost(dead cap) or I could see us offering a heavily restructured deal that gives him more guaranteed money but less AAV. 2 down LBs just aren’t worth that type of money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Ya, all his guaranteed money is paid out after this season, so he can be cut a very little cost(dead cap) or I could see us offering a heavily restructured deal that gives him more guaranteed money but less AAV. 2 down LBs just aren’t worth that type of money.

They're easily replaceable, too. The team can't really rely on Dylan Cole, and Peter Kalambayi is a ST guy at most - but I can't help but to think that you can come close to replicating what McKinney does with Cole, Kalambayi and a mid to late round rookie with impressive film but poor measurables (seems like the 5-7th round is loaded with ILB/MLB types who fit that mold - didn't perform well at the combine but looks like a beast on film).

McKinney is a good leader and smart player, so chances are the option here will be to restructure his deal - but it's got to be a STEEP discount.