Final Roster Cuts/Moves Thread

e16bball

Figured that the cut-down moves are coming pretty soon, it’d probably be easiest to keep track of them and discuss them in one place. 

First one I’ve seen so far:

Tony Brown was a UDFA from Colorado, not a real high priority guy in my book. Not a good athlete, pretty good football player for the Buffs — but you can look better than you really are when you have opposing defenses keyed in on Viska on every snap. 

He was previously with the Browns and then the Giants this offseason. My guess is this is a “look-see” to figure out whether they want to try to develop him. They know what they have in Kidsy, as a PS candidate, so now they can get a look at this guy and see how he stacks up with the likes of Kidsy, Wright, JJ, Weah, etc. 

Gotta at least take a look at Reiff if he is indeed released. WAS still has a lot of cap room and a 1-year deal for a serviceable LT shouldn’t be overlooked.

The pressure for Dwayne Haskins to show improvement and have some level of success will be high. With that said, you’ve got to improve the OL if given the opportunity. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Gotta at least take a look at Reiff if he is indeed released. WAS still has a lot of cap room and a 1-year deal for a serviceable LT shouldn’t be overlooked.

The pressure for Dwayne Haskins to show improvement and have some level of success will be high. With that said, you’ve got to improve the OL if given the opportunity. 

Word is that Christian has looked pretty good while going against our DEs - some of the most talented in the league - I’d rather see what we have in Christian. If he preforms well enough he could be a long term answer at LT. 

On 8/31/2020 at 10:54 AM, e16bball said:

Figured that the cut-down moves are coming pretty soon, it’d probably be easiest to keep track of them and discuss them in one place. 

First one I’ve seen so far:

Tony Brown was a UDFA from Colorado, not a real high priority guy in my book. Not a good athlete, pretty good football player for the Buffs — but you can look better than you really are when you have opposing defenses keyed in on Viska on every snap. 

He was previously with the Browns and then the Giants this offseason. My guess is this is a “look-see” to figure out whether they want to try to develop him. They know what they have in Kidsy, as a PS candidate, so now they can get a look at this guy and see how he stacks up with the likes of Kidsy, Wright, JJ, Weah, etc. 

Not sure how Brown will compete with Kidsy when he just replaced him. 😉

Personally, I hate this move. I was just as impressed by Kidsy as I was other young WRs in the last few preseasons. He and Haskins seemed to develop a good chemistry last preseason. I don’t understand the move at all unless they’re doing it bc Kidsy isn’t going to make the team and they want to get a look at someone younger than him to possibly keep on the practice squad, which, is probably the case but I still don’t like this move.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Word is that Christian has looked pretty good while going against our DEs - some of the most talented in the league - I’d rather see what we have in Christian. If he preforms well enough he could be a long term answer at LT. 

I’m pleased with some of the reports on Christian as well. But what if we get into real games and “what we have in Christian” turns out to be a bum? Or even just turns out to get hurt...

When you’re rolling with a total question mark at one of the most important positions on the roster, you’ve got to have some kind of backup plan/safety net. Particularly because this “important position” probably has the most direct impact on whether Haskins is able to settle in and show what he’s got. It looks like Saahdiq Charles won’t be that safety net for a while, given that he still has yet to have even an NFL practice, and it doesn’t seem like Cornelius Lucas has been even a serious consideration for the LT role. 

You don’t have to play Reiff over Christian. But I think it would be awfully smart to have a safety net in place, just in case things go sideways with Christian. Best case scenario, it’s wasted money because Christian proves to be a breakout star. But we don’t usually see much of the “best case scenario,” and having an established LT on the roster could help spare us from disaster if the worst case scenario instead rears its head. Plus, in a season that promises to be rife with not only COVID absences but also soft tissue injuries due to the abbreviated offseason, someone like Reiff could be a big trade chip in the event a contender loses their current starter.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not sure how Brown will compete with Kidsy when he just replaced him. 😉

Kidsy has already done his competing. They know what he can do. Now Brown gets his chance — and when Saturday rolls around, they’ll both be in competition for those PS spots (along with Isaiah Wright and the other WR hopefuls). They won’t compete directly, on the same field, but they are absolutely competing contenders for limited PS spots.  

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I’m pleased with some of the reports on Christian as well. But what if we get into real games and “what we have in Christian” turns out to be a bum? Or even just turns out to get hurt...

When you’re rolling with a total question mark at one of the most important positions on the roster, you’ve got to have some kind of backup plan/safety net. Particularly because this “important position” probably has the most direct impact on whether Haskins is able to settle in and show what he’s got. It looks like Saahdiq Charles won’t be that safety net for a while, given that he still has yet to have even an NFL practice, and it doesn’t seem like Cornelius Lucas has been even a serious consideration for the LT role. 

You don’t have to play Reiff over Christian. But I think it would be awfully smart to have a safety net in place, just in case things go sideways with Christian. Best case scenario, it’s wasted money because Christian proves to be a breakout star. But we don’t usually see much of the “best case scenario,” and having an established LT on the roster could help spare us from disaster if the worst case scenario instead rears its head. Plus, in a season that promises to be rife with not only COVID absences but also soft tissue injuries due to the abbreviated offseason, someone like Reiff could be a big trade chip in the event a contender loses their current starter.

Then wait to see how Christian looks. I’ve said that all offseason and I’m glad they are giving him his shot. If he’s awful and/or Lucas and Charles then, we can always re-sign Donald Penn if we are worried about Haskins getting killed, but I can’t imagine all 3 of them being that awful, that would have to be some terribly awful luck for our 3 options at LT to be so awful that we have to sign a FA vet in September.

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Kidsy has already done his competing. They know what he can do. Now Brown gets his chance — and when Saturday rolls around, they’ll both be in competition for those PS spots (along with Isaiah Wright and the other WR hopefuls). They won’t compete directly, on the same field, but they are absolutely competing contenders for limited PS spots.  

True, seems to me that if Kidsy was cut now though that it’s likely over for him in Washington. I really hope Isaiah Wright makes it at least on the practice squad but I’ve heard very little of how he’s looked this training camp. For someone who was hyped a lot when we signed him as an UDFA, that’s not a good sign to me.

Also, don’t forget we have 16 practice squad spots this year. So, that’s good news for these young bucks trying to make a name for themselves.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True, seems to me that if Kidsy was cut now though that it’s likely over for him in Washington. I really hope Isaiah Wright makes it at least on the practice squad but I’ve heard very little of how he’s looked this training camp. For someone who was hyped a lot when we signed him as an UDFA, that’s not a good sign to me.

Also, don’t forget we have 16 practice squad spots this year. So, that’s good news for these young bucks trying to make a name for themselves.

I just read that Isaiah Wright was showing skills and Rivera was impressed but he said he's not ready for prime time yet . so hopeful .

6 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I just read that Isaiah Wright was showing skills and Rivera was impressed but he said he's not ready for prime time yet . so hopeful .

Fully expect Wright to be on the practice squad think the WR spot comes down to Cam Sims and Trey Quinn either one of them or if we keep 6 both.

Edited by ovfd55
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Fully expect Wright to be on the practice squad think the WR spot comes down to Cam Sims and Trey Quinn either one of them or if we keep 6 both.

There’s a chance we keep 6, but it’s going to be a numbers game as it always is bc it matters how many RBs & TEs they keep too. With AGG battling his injury right now it might force us to keep 6 WRs and Quinn helps himsef bc he’s a special teams player who can cover kicks and return kicks.