Final Roster Cuts/Moves Thread

e16bball

19 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

The "Oh crap word got out we tried to trade him and no one offered anything" response

Could be, or he could be a key contributor. I think we tried to trade him but didn’t get offered anything other than a late round pick so we are holding on to him.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Why look to trade him if he's a key contributor?

I said why, if they could have gotten a mid round draft pick they were going to trade him.

They didn’t so he’ll be a contributor on special teams, as a reserve DE & OLB and probably still be the full back on short yardage. 

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I said why, if they could have gotten a mid round draft pick they were going to trade him.

They didn’t do he’ll be a contributor on special teams, as a reserve DE & OLB and probably still be the full back on short yardage. 

My point is, I don't usually trade key contributors

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Two years on IR in a row? That's not good for his long-term prospects as an NFL player

You can come back after 3 weeks on IR this season, and an unlimited number of players can go on IR and then come off, so it’s not the IR we used to know. It’s more like the 15-day (or perhaps 60-day) DL concept from MLB. 

It won’t end his season, he’ll be able to come back when he’s fully ready, but it allows us to keep him in the organization without using a 53-man roster spot on him. I think it’s pretty much the ideal outcome with Foster. Wish they’d do the same with Alex Smith, actually. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

You can come back after 3 weeks on IR this season, and an unlimited number of players can go on IR and then come off, so it’s not the IR we used to know. It’s more like the 15-day (or perhaps 60-day) DL concept from MLB. 

It won’t end his season, he’ll be able to come back when he’s fully ready, but it allows us to keep him in the organization without using a 53-man roster spot on him. I think it’s pretty much the ideal outcome with Foster. Wish they’d do the same with Alex Smith, actually. 

Isn’t it true they players on the IR can’t practice with the team though? I think they want Alex there at practice and during the games to help develop Haskins and Allen. They’re basically using him as another coach & a mentor for those guys.