Final Roster Cuts/Moves Thread

e16bball

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Umm, if it were up to me and Washington was up at the top of the draft again, I'm probably looking at a left tackle, not Lawrence. Or at least trade with Jacksonville

So, I'm kind of confused how me not mentioning him means that I would draft him when I probably wouldn't if I had the opportunity especially since I said I don't really think about draft eligible players until after the season is over. Lawrence could get hurt, get COVID, have a severe regression, decide to stay in school, or get involved in some sort of scandal that I want no part of. Then there's the question of what happens if the college season is abbreviated or canceled. Do I rely on a guy being out of the game for over a year? I'd rather take the safer option of a lineman.

Ok so now that's Me, You, and Lavar who already have a plan drafting top 5 next year with the thought process of a Real GM IMO. Now we must get the rest of the forum on board. 

Other than that I agree to disagree to stay in the forum. 

10 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Ok so look at it from the position o they could've easily added more weapons for this Young QB to work with.

How exactly? The draft? They took the best defensive player at #2 overall, but they took a RB, a OT, a WR, and a C with their next four picks. So, they didn't really pass up getting the chance to get weapons for Haskins.

Free agency? Again, Washington is not a hot destination for free agents right now. The team has a crap reputation and it looks like it might scraping the bottom of the barrel. If you were a free agent (or the agent of said player), would you come to DC given all of the ongoing dysfunction?

So, what did they fail to do that could have been done? Again, I'm honestly asking here.

13 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Yet they didn't so

But they did so ...

14 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

now all the pressure is on a 2nd year 1st year startet to fix all the mistakes of everyone else.

I'm not sure he has to fix all of the mistakes, but at the same token, he's the quarterback of the team. So, a lot is going to be expected of him.

That said ...

15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I'm not buying that but I understand how the Cards are delt. Have fun with Lawrence. 

I'm not sure how you got here.

Personally, I looked at the last bit of Haskins' 2019 season and thought, "you can build around that." I also thought he may be the most unlikely guy since just as he could start building for the future, he got a new head coach who had little to no investment in him and COVID hit so he couldn't really prove that said new coach should trust him.

However, he has seemingly earned Rivera's trust and has been given the ball. Now it's up to him to show that he can run the offense effectively.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woz said:

How exactly? The draft? They took the best defensive player at #2 overall, but they took a RB, a OT, a WR, and a C with their next four picks. So, they didn't really pass up getting the chance to get weapons for Haskins.

Free agency? Again, Washington is not a hot destination for free agents right now. The team has a crap reputation and it looks like it might scraping the bottom of the barrel. If you were a free agent (or the agent of said player), would you come to DC given all of the ongoing dysfunction?

So, what did they fail to do that could have been done? Again, I'm honestly asking here.

But they did so ...

I'm not sure he has to fix all of the mistakes, but at the same token, he's the quarterback of the team. So, a lot is going to be expected of him.

That said ...

I'm not sure how you got here.

Personally, I looked at the last bit of Haskins' 2019 season and thought, "you can build around that." I also thought he may be the most unlikely guy since just as he could start building for the future, he got a new head coach who had little to no investment in him and COVID hit so he couldn't really prove that said new coach should trust him.

However, he has seemingly earned Rivera's trust and has been given the ball. Now it's up to him to show that he can run the offense effectively.

Say that again Washington has a Bad Reputation not Haskins the QB who needs offensive weapons. So Washington aka Dan or Ron shot yourself in the foot not the QB!

Effective in a system he just learned and with no Proven Weapons but Mclaruin. Not Haskins or a QB fault. He did his part by learning the new system and earning the Respect of the Staff. What more could he do by himself? 

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Ok so now that's Me, You, and Lavar who already have a plan drafting top 5 next year with the thought process of a Real GM IMO. Now we must get the rest of the forum on board. 

O...kay?

I'm still not clear how we got onto the subject of Lawrence when we had been discussing Foster and Smith, but cool?

BTW, I'm probably one of the last people you might want to point to for what to do in the draft when it comes to individual players. I'm not good at evaluating/project college prospects up to the top level because I just don't watch a lot of college games. I leave that to others around here. I am better at evaluating the players on the roster Washington has right now because I do watch their games. If some combination of Lucas or Christian works out at left tackle, that would be wonderful as that would free up the team from having to target a specific position in the draft. I'm just dubious that will happen, so as of right this second, I consider LT to be the biggest need that would make sense to draft in the top of the draft. I could maybe be talked into a cornerback, or if a stud, sideline-to-sideline beast inside linebacker appeared.

That all said, I don't know how anyone will be able to judge this coming class since the Big Ten and Pac 12 may not even play this year (or if they do play, it will be in the Spring ... right in the middle of the evaluations for other players and the Combine) and other schools are having a bunch of positive tests.

So, I would be extra careful to make any projections at all at this juncture since no one has a sense of what this season will look like.

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

O...kay?

I'm still not clear how we got onto the subject of Lawrence when we had been discussing Foster and Smith, but cool?

BTW, I'm probably one of the last people you might want to point to for what to do in the draft when it comes to individual players. I'm not good at evaluating/project college prospects up to the top level because I just don't watch a lot of college games. I leave that to others around here. I am better at evaluating the players on the roster Washington has right now because I do watch their games. If some combination of Lucas or Christian works out at left tackle, that would be wonderful as that would free up the team from having to target a specific position in the draft. I'm just dubious that will happen, so as of right this second, I consider LT to be the biggest need that would make sense to draft in the top of the draft. I could maybe be talked into a cornerback, or if a stud, sideline-to-sideline beast inside linebacker appeared.

That all said, I don't know how anyone will be able to judge this coming class since the Big Ten and Pac 12 may not even play this year (or if they do play, it will be in the Spring ... right in the middle of the evaluations for other players and the Combine) and other schools are having a bunch of positive tests.

So, I would be extra careful to make any projections at all at this juncture since no one has a sense of what this season will look like.

Foster nor Smith belong on roster if they can't contribute to the season. That's my Stance. You must be available to make the 53 man roster. Why are they on the team if Nether can pass full contact drills? 

I'll leave the draft alone since that's out of your comfort zone. 

Edited by Skins212689

7 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Say that again Washington has a Bad Reputation not Haskins the QB who needs offensive weapons.

And they tried to get him some?

8 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So Washington aka Dan or Ron shot yourself in the foot not the QB!

I feel like you're arguing with someone else and not me when you say this.

9 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Effective in a system he just learned and with no Proven Weapons but Mclaruin.

Keep in mind that last year McLaurin was not a proven weapon. Now he is. Maybe Gandy-Golden explodes onto the scene, or Gibson looks exactly like he did at Memphis. Or perhaps Logan Thomas becomes the perfect safety blanket. Given that pretty much no one has seen anything of what this offense looks like beyond some beat reporters, I'm not sure I'm with making these sweeping statements.

Let's see where they are four games into the season.

11 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Not Haskins or a QB fault.

That goes for this as well. We'll see if Washington now has the Haskins who was thrown into the fire unprepared, or the guy who suddenly looked like things started to click at the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

He did his part by learning the new system and earning the Respect of the Staff. What more could he do by himself? 

I'm not sure why you are asking me this. I never declared he had to do X or not do Y to suddenly be "the Man."

I think he found himself in a really crappy situation (new coach, unable to really have a true offseason building up the rapport with his teammates and staff, etc.). Looks like he's done okay that Rivera gave him the starting gig earlier this week. Now it's his turn to show that it was the right call on Rivera's part. Remember, Rivera has no ties to Haskins and could pull him for Allen (a guy he does have ties with) if Dwayne stumbles. Not saying he will, but not saying that Haskins is completely safe either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Foster nor Smith belong on roster if they can't contribute to the season. That's my Stance. You must be available to make the 53 man roster. Why are they on the team if Nether can pass full contact drills? 

Well, Foster isn't on the roster so that's irrelevant.

Also, a third QB, while on the roster, is almost always inactive (and there will still have to be inactive players), so what does it matter? Again, I could see them saying "well, we're going to be paying Alex Smith's salary regardless this season, and he plays at a position where the average street free agent would be the equivalent of giving up on the season, so let's keep him as a possibility while praying that we never have to break that glass. At least he knows the playbook."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Woz said:

And they tried to get him some?

I feel like you're arguing with someone else and not me when you say this.

Keep in mind that last year McLaurin was not a proven weapon. Now he is. Maybe Gandy-Golden explodes onto the scene, or Gibson looks exactly like he did at Memphis. Or perhaps Logan Thomas becomes the perfect safety blanket. Given that pretty much no one has seen anything of what this offense looks like beyond some beat reporters, I'm not sure I'm with making these sweeping statements.

Let's see where they are four games into the season.

That goes for this as well. We'll see if Washington now has the Haskins who was thrown into the fire unprepared, or the guy who suddenly looked like things started to click at the end of the season.

I'm not sure why you are asking me this. I never declared he had to do X or not do Y to suddenly be "the Man."

I think he found himself in a really crappy situation (new coach, unable to really have a true offseason building up the rapport with his teammates and staff, etc.). Looks like he's done okay that Rivera gave him the starting gig earlier this week. Now it's his turn to show that it was the right call on Rivera's part. Remember, Rivera has no ties to Haskins and could pull him for Allen (a guy he does have ties with) if Dwayne stumbles. Not saying he will, but not saying that Haskins is completely safe either.

Tried to get him some yet you just admitted Washington isn't that great of a destination for Free Agents. So Washington what are you gonna do about that? Build through the draft or throw some extra money to make Players come here? That responsibility isn't on the QB. 

Maybe Gandy-Golden does maybe Gibson does? But what if they don't? What if they get hurt? What if they are just college player's who can't make it at the next level? 

Haskins against the Eagles proved himself. He played well but didn't have enough pieces around him to get the Win. So without any Proven Weapons this offense Sucks until proven otherwise outside of Mclaruin. You can Bet the season on that. 

Or shall I say Haskins career. 

Edited by Skins212689

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not sure where we're disagreeing here. Is your disagreement about my thoughts on why they shouldn't just be going by the same in-season rules? Because I agree on how they need to go about the new IR rules. I just am at a loss to understand why there are two versions of the IR rules for this season.

I want to say there was a previous deadline in year's past when a player could be brought back, but don't hold me to that.

Honestly, I think it was a compromise: "Look we'll allow a shortened IR with no limitations on returns, but we know teams (*) will try to park guys to get through cut downs and then activate them. How do we make this so it's not a complete circus?" So, they decided if a team place a guy on IR before cut downs, the player had to be removed from consideration for the year. If they held the player through the final roster, they could use the "expedited" IR once waivers and cuts were handled. Probably Monday.

(*) Washington under Gibbs did this, amongst other teams as well. So it's not like the league didn't see it coming.

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well, Foster isn't on the roster so that's irrelevant.

Also, a third QB, while on the roster, is almost always inactive (and there will still have to be inactive players), so what does it matter? Again, I could see them saying "well, we're going to be paying Alex Smith's salary regardless this season, and he plays at a position where the average street free agent would be the equivalent of giving up on the season, so let's keep him as a possibility while praying that we never have to break that glass. At least he knows the playbook."

Enjoy this Franchise Sir. 

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Tried to get him some yet you just admitted Washington isn't that great of a destination for Free Agents. So Washington what are you gonna do about that? Build through the draft or throw some extra money to make Players come here? That responsibility isn't on the QB. 

Umm, they built through the draft. You were complaining that they didn't give him any weapons. I pointed out they did. Now, it falls to the coach to maximize those players and the QB to execute the plays.

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Maybe Gandy-Golden does maybe Gibson does? But what if they don't? What if they get hurt? What if they are just college player's who can't make it at the next level? 

Same questions could be asked of Haskins. What if he gets hurt? What if the "early-to-mid 2019 Haskins" is the reality and the "late 2019 Haskins" was the mirage? I hope that isn't the case, but it's possible.

5 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Haskins against the Eagles himself played well but didn't have enough pieces around him to get the Win. So without any Proven Weapons this offense Sucks until proven otherwise outside of Mclaruin. You can Bet the season on that but I won't.

On one hand: no one outside of McLaurin is proven, so the offense sucks.
On the other hand: Haskins isn't proven either and as the leader of the offense, some of that has to fall on his shoulders, right?

I hope the offense gels and Haskins plays well. Without seeing a down of what this team looks like under Rivera, I'm not going to even bother trying to project what it might be or who might step up. It's a complete mystery. It could be that Rivera puts all of the responsibility on Gibson's shoulders in an attempt to recreate Christian McCaffrey. Maybe he decides to get weird and have Haskins and Logan Thomas do some sort of Wildcat formation. Maybe he gets inhabited by the ghost of Don Coryell and those of us of a certain age get crazy flashbacks to better times.

We just don't know.

And we certainly don't know what the upcoming draft class will look like or who will shine and who will falter (or why).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Enjoy this Franchise Sir. 

I'm been trying to subsist on the memories of the 80s and 90s for this franchise for decades now. It gets harder every year.

Edited by Woz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

No, admit your Truth. You want Lawrence to replace Haskins as the Washington Football Team QB. That's just your NFL Football Philosophy. It's all about the QB the other 52 men really don't matter.

You do know (and if you do it makes it funnier) that turtle is an OSU fan right? No one is going to homer more for him to do well than him. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Woz said:

O...kay?

He’s saying people want to draft Lawrence w/o giving Haskins a true chance bc a few posters are already predicting Washington to have the #1 pick and if they do, they will probably take Lawrence, one poster has already made it known that he wants Lawrence drafted, Haskins traded next year for a 1st or 2nd round pick and that’s essentially his vision for the future team. I don’t share that same sentiment and no one but one poster in this forum currently shares that sentiment but Skins212689 is lumping everyone into one category, and it’s not accurate.

Then, there’s a group of us who will be honest and say that if we have the number one pick we will consider taking Lawrence if Haskins is a main reason why the team ends up with the #1 pick next but, this is all a guess as you know at this time.

No one knows what will happen.

That is where Skins212689 is coming from but he’s ignoring that except for @PARROTHEAD no one is definitely saying they want to replace Haskins with Lawrence next year. They’re saying if the team is that bad, it will be considered by Rivera & Kyle Smith etc. 

It’s frustrating that every time he disagrees with someone on any issue that he bring up that Haskins has been set up to fail this year so we can get Lawrence next year, it’s his conspiracy theory and I don’t think it’s true at all.

He thinks Rivera is purposely undercutting Haskins to get to Lawrence bc they didn’t sign Amari Cooper (even though they tried, they gave him a larger contract offer than the Cowboys) Antonio Brown, Josh Gordon or another big time FA WR to start opposite Terry. Instead they’re going with the combination of Sims & Inman opposite Terry.

I don’t think his conspiracy theory is true at all. It’s just a conspiracy theory that we’ll never know even if it’s true, so I’d rather us focus on what we do know.

We do know that the way Sims finished last season and the way he’s worked this offseason that it looks like he can be a #2 WR and they are giving him that chance. We also know that while Inman is in no way a proven #2 or 3 WR, he is a reliable possession type WR who runs sharp routes, creates separation with his route running and is a reliable pass catcher. 

Also, by not signing these veteran WRs near or in their 30s they’re leaving open the opportunity for guys like AGG, Isaiah Wright or another young WR they could add after cuts to get a chance to prove themselves to be the teams #3 WR option as the season goes on.

I could see AGG or Wright doing what Sims did last year. I can see in the second half of this year one of them proving enough to the coaches that they should be getting the playing time over Inman, in fact I really want it to happen.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

You do know (and if you do it makes it funnier) that turtle is an OSU fan right? No one is going to homer more for him to do well than him. 

I’m a homer for all young developing QBs, as I told him in another post he just doesn’t know bc he’s new here. I defended Ramsey over Brunnell and didn’t think Ramsey should be benched in 04 & 05 for Brunnell. I was one of the few who defended Jason Campbell as you know back in 2007-2009 and even in 2010 I wanted him retained when Shanahan got here and not to be traded away, heck I even defended Campbell when he went to the Raiders bc in some ways he was outplaying McNabb. I defended keeping  McNabb in 2011 vs going w/ Rex Grossman & Beck and if we had, I still think we would’ve won a few more games that year but we may have still traded up for RG3 anyway in 2012 bc Snyder wanted him. Then, I defended RG3 vs Kirk Cousins for 3 years and I did it so hard that I got banned from the forum for two months bc of the things I said regarding what I thought about that.

He just doesn’t know, he has no clue the history and my thoughts of the last 15 years in this forum bc he just showed up in Nov of 2018. He thinks he knows people but he has no clue.