Destiny 2

IDK I feel like it was so easy to make D2 a great game.  Take the positives from D1 and get better storytelling, which they did, but the changed some things and the format which I don't like.  I prefer the story progression and strikes from D1 and how you can go back to each one on the map, not the Vanguard.  I love the gameplay but the Osiris campaign I really disliked.  Didn't like the Infinite Forest and felt they were more interested in visuals than story/content.

18 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Curse of Osiris is about as disappointing as can be considering how well the Destiny 1 DLC really expanded and imrpoved the game. You get a 4 hour campaign, a couple thrown in new weapons, arbitrary new level cap, and a half baked raid add on. I'm really disappointed with it so far. Luckily I got the season pass for free so at least I didn't have to pay for it. 

Some people said they completed it in as little as 90 minutes.

I have some questions about this game.  I haven't really played the original Destiny much. 

*  Is this a game that is mainly single-player/coop or is there a multiplayer component where I can play against others? 

*  Would I have had to play the first Destiny in-order to play this one?

19 hours ago, showtime said:

I have some questions about this game.  I haven't really played the original Destiny much. 

*  Is this a game that is mainly single-player/coop or is there a multiplayer component where I can play against others? 

*  Would I have had to play the first Destiny in-order to play this one?

Let's see if I can help you out. 

So the first 1-2 hours is strictly single player until you unlock the ability to play coop and also multiplayer. You have the ability to go through the story either solo or coop. There are also options for raiding with up to 5 friends or doing small raids (30 minutes AVG) with 2 friends. The multiplayer has a few different game modes, but the unfortunate things is that you can't really choose what game type you're getting into (no free for all option). 

No you would not have had to play Destiny 1 in order to play Destiny 2 because the story is weak. You'd probably be slightly confused on story line, but there is probably a 5 minute (if that long) video that'll explain the entire Destiny storyline because that's how lazy Bungie was when they created it. Now I'm not knocking D1 because it was great. Playing D1 would probably make you NOT want to play D2. D1 was not perfect, but they did have some things down. It felt more rewarding, you could have snipers/ shotguns and rocket launchers at the same type, ammo packages that you could use mid battle (PVE factor), the ability to choose what type of game you're getting into in multiplayer (they had free-for-all), and some awesome weapons (Gjallerhorn, Icebreaker, Thorn, Blackhammer, Hung Jury, I'm sorry I was reminiscing). 

1 hour ago, Jags said:

Let's see if I can help you out. 

So the first 1-2 hours is strictly single player until you unlock the ability to play coop and also multiplayer. You have the ability to go through the story either solo or coop. There are also options for raiding with up to 5 friends or doing small raids (30 minutes AVG) with 2 friends. The multiplayer has a few different game modes, but the unfortunate things is that you can't really choose what game type you're getting into (no free for all option). 

No you would not have had to play Destiny 1 in order to play Destiny 2 because the story is weak. You'd probably be slightly confused on story line, but there is probably a 5 minute (if that long) video that'll explain the entire Destiny storyline because that's how lazy Bungie was when they created it. Now I'm not knocking D1 because it was great. Playing D1 would probably make you NOT want to play D2. D1 was not perfect, but they did have some things down. It felt more rewarding, you could have snipers/ shotguns and rocket launchers at the same type, ammo packages that you could use mid battle (PVE factor), the ability to choose what type of game you're getting into in multiplayer (they had free-for-all), and some awesome weapons (Gjallerhorn, Icebreaker, Thorn, Blackhammer, Hung Jury, I'm sorry I was reminiscing). 

Thanks for the info.

The odd thing about this game is if you look at initial reviews they were almost all positive.  And I'm not even talking about reviews from huge companies like IGN.  I mean just random people on YouTube who upload videos.  Heck, even in this thread - if you look at when the game first released people here loved it.  I guess after people played it the general consensus seemed to change more into what you posted above - a general disappointing/displeasure with the game.

5 hours ago, showtime said:

Thanks for the info.

The odd thing about this game is if you look at initial reviews they were almost all positive.  And I'm not even talking about reviews from huge companies like IGN.  I mean just random people on YouTube who upload videos.  Heck, even in this thread - if you look at when the game first released people here loved it.  I guess after people played it the general consensus seemed to change more into what you posted above - a general disappointing/displeasure with the game.

The end game is really lackluster. After maybe 10 hours when you beat the story and max your character, all you can do is grind for different gear.

You cant do the big end game stuff (strikes and raids) without friends too, which really sucks if you are a solo player.

I really do not enjoy the PvP. It just doesn't feel crisp compared to any other shooter (CoD, BF, Halo, etc). Just my preference I guess.

Overall I had a lot of fun for 20-30 hours but after that there was nothing to bring me back and I haven't touched it in a long time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Real talk, folks. Ya'll coming back for Warmind next week? I've been getting back on and grinding again. I got off just before Curse of Osiris, and I am liking some of the changes made so far. Especially masterwork weapons and armor. Using a sweet masterwork Scathelock right now.

3 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

Real talk, folks. Ya'll coming back for Warmind next week? I've been getting back on and grinding again. I got off just before Curse of Osiris, and I am liking some of the changes made so far. Especially masterwork weapons and armor. Using a sweet masterwork Scathelock right now.

I haven't played in like 5 months, is there any reason for me to come back if I don't have the DLC? I already have all 3 classes up to max level.

6 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I haven't played in like 5 months, is there any reason for me to come back if I don't have the DLC? I already have all 3 classes up to max level.

Without the DLC adding additional story content, the raid lair, and a bunch of Eververse nonsense, there is this major patch which did a lot of balancing between classes, positive weapon tweaks, etc. It is a very good update and much needed. Also the addition of Masterwork weapons and armor adds much needed flavor. One thing I hated in D2 was how all weapons are the same, no variance between my Nameless Midnight and yours. In Destiny 1, my Hung Jury may have Firefly, yours may have Crowd Control. I hated the change coming to D2. But with Masterworks, they get one random stat boost/perk. For example my masterwork Scathelock has 10 extra rounds (could have beet a boost to stability, or impact, etc.). Adding weapon variance to the legendaries makes it more interesting moving forward.

Plus, with the Warmind release there will be masterwork Exotics that require particular "trials/qualifications" to unlock their latent masterwook boon. The game has made some very positive changes. It is still flawed, but much better. If you are going to get both DLCs, I think it is worth coming back. If you are not, really not much of a reason as there won't be as much to do, really. I play mainly solo, but I have some folks I will likely start raiding with occasionally plus I am  finally going to start giving PvP a try. Iron Banner started this week, gonna hop in there and see what I can get. I'm up to 307 light, and I'm sure the light max will be increasing again with Warmind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navysaintsfan said:

I’m back after a lengthy hiatus.  The upcoming changes are really piquing my interests.

• Like 1

There's supposed to be a pretty big DLC coming out next week, I believe.  At least I read it was next week, I'm not 100% sure on that.  If you look up on this page, I asked back in December if the game was worth buying.  I ended up getting it because the digital deluxe edition of the game was on clearance and that included the past DLC and this next one dropping.  It was such an amazing deal that I couldn't pass it up.

I played the original vanilla Destiny and that game was pretty dull and meh, IMO.  It got much better with updates, DLC's, patches, etc and this game looks like it might go in that same direction.  At least hopefully it does.