Destiny 2

5 hours ago, carrolljcmc said:

If you're on XB1, you're more than welcome to join my group.  We have 11.  We're all sarcastic a-holes over the age of 25 if that makes any difference to you.

Appreciate the offer, I'm on PS4. I used to play a bit with NickDawg, the old Raider forum mod, but I think I accidentally deleted him and can't find him anymore :D

I have a question for Destiny 1 players. Did the game ever get interesting powers? As it stands right now (with the Destiny 2 beta), the abilities are just mobility or "more damage". I get fatigued with the FPS genre now and while the game feels great and looks amazing, the 4-5 hours I played was enough for me. I can play shooters if there are interesting powers, so I'm wondering if Destiny is that type of game or if the powers are all fairly simple? An example is Mass Effect, the game is just a shooter if you play a soldier, but different situations called for different abilities and I felt like I was half using powers and half guns. I don't expect Destiny to go as far, but is the limited powers a victim of a limited beta or is the game just that way?

1 hour ago, HighHopes said:

I have a question for Destiny 1 players. Did the game ever get interesting powers? As it stands right now (with the Destiny 2 beta), the abilities are just mobility or "more damage". I get fatigued with the FPS genre now and while the game feels great and looks amazing, the 4-5 hours I played was enough for me. I can play shooters if there are interesting powers, so I'm wondering if Destiny is that type of game or if the powers are all fairly simple? An example is Mass Effect, the game is just a shooter if you play a soldier, but different situations called for different abilities and I felt like I was half using powers and half guns. I don't expect Destiny to go as far, but is the limited powers a victim of a limited beta or is the game just that way?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Are you talking about the perks on weapons? The perks on armor? The class tree? Your actual abilities (grenades, melee, class, super). I'll answer for every one just in case. There will be a ton more perks on weapons and armors. We're just seeing the basic weapons and basic perks, because it's a beta. The class trees are final as they are, but these aren't the only classes. There's another subclass for each main class. The grenade/melee/class/super abilities are all final as well, once again except for the fact that there's more subclasses to come. 

10 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Are you talking about the perks on weapons? The perks on armor? The class tree? Your actual abilities (grenades, melee, class, super). I'll answer for every one just in case. There will be a ton more perks on weapons and armors. We're just seeing the basic weapons and basic perks, because it's a beta. The class trees are final as they are, but these aren't the only classes. There's another subclass for each main class. The grenade/melee/class/super abilities are all final as well, once again except for the fact that there's more subclasses to come. 

Actual abilities. I REALLY enjoy the Mass Effect series because they have a whole system for their powers. For example, Warp and Throw in Mass Effect. Warp on it's own is a good debuff and something you want to use to weaken armored enemies. Throw pushes enemies away and can be used to create distance. But when combined you make a biotic combo. This is just the most basic example of the game. 

Thanks for the answer, it makes my decision of getting this game harder haha. I probably should have assumed it's definitely favoring the FPS side, but since there ARE powers, I was hoping there would be more. The game is super solid gameplay wise, but I can imagine getting tired of the game quickly. 

13 hours ago, HighHopes said:

Actual abilities. I REALLY enjoy the Mass Effect series because they have a whole system for their powers. For example, Warp and Throw in Mass Effect. Warp on it's own is a good debuff and something you want to use to weaken armored enemies. Throw pushes enemies away and can be used to create distance. But when combined you make a biotic combo. This is just the most basic example of the game. 

Thanks for the answer, it makes my decision of getting this game harder haha. I probably should have assumed it's definitely favoring the FPS side, but since there ARE powers, I was hoping there would be more. The game is super solid gameplay wise, but I can imagine getting tired of the game quickly. 

Ah. For what it's worth, exotic armor gives perks which you let you change your abilities in certain ways. They're not really very big changes though. And buffs/debuffs wise there's a lot of different ones throughout the different encounters and boss fights, but not ones that you have as an actual ability to use whenever. I think the variety in Destiny comes from how repeatable the encounters are, rather than just using a ton of different abilities and drastically changing the gameplay experience in various ways. And of course the loots/weapons you acquire make things different, but that's already known.

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

So I preordered the Destiny 2 PS4 Pro - first jump to PS4. I will sign up with this same username. Hit me up with some friend request, I know nobody on PS4.

@Tyty I know youd want the big news.

❤️❤️❤️ I don't have ps+ and my son broke my ps4 and I haven't hooked up the new one yet but I'll add you baby blue

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Is this the type of game where I can just jump on and play solo for a few hours? Is it mostly PVP? I never played the first Destiny.

It's the exact opposite of mostly PvP. PvP takes a backseat to PvE. It's better as a co-op game but you can absolutely play solo. You can do everything in the game without a party, except for raids and Trials of Osiris (a PvP game mode). You should be fine.

Edited by Spartica4Real