Mixon signed

Carson4MVP

30 minutes ago, theJ said:

So by next year or the year after, he'll be perennially hurt and averaging 3.7 YPC.

Not at such a young age.  Just doesn't seem like the kind of person he's shown to be here.

30 minutes ago, theJ said:

Sorry, my inner pessimist came out for a second there.  Joe is a good player, and given where the Bengals are talent wise there's really no reason they shouldn't have signed him.  It was him, or the cash just sits out there.

Agreed, unless they wanted Jackson or Lawson also.  If they do come to a number,. a bigger contract has to go.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'm surprised he got that much. Market will be crowded next spring as the cap likely decreases. I would have guessed 8-9 mil per year rather than 12 for Mixon.

The reality is that it isn't that much.  It's 4/48 added onto his existing contract.  So think of it as 5/50 when you throw in year four of his rookie deal, which is more in line with what we were expecting.

13 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

The reality is that it isn't that much.  It's 4/48 added onto his existing contract.  So think of it as 5/50 when you throw in year four of his rookie deal, which is more in line with what we were expecting.

I just came here to say the same thing. And the fact that he’s only 28 at the end of the contract. I think it’s a nice pretty smart contract for us. I’d imagine a good chunk of his signing bonus is absorbed in this years cap too. 

1 hour ago, Carson4MVP said:

I just came here to say the same thing. And the fact that he’s only 28 at the end of the contract. I think it’s a nice pretty smart contract for us. I’d imagine a good chunk of his signing bonus is absorbed in this years cap too. 

It is.  i've seen the numbers since posting that

In general I agree with not overpaying RB's, but i'm not going to get bent out of shape about it either.  Like has been said, Mixon will still be in his prime at the END of this contract, is liked in the locker room, is one of our most vocal players, and shows the younger players that good players will be rewarded.