Decker's New Contract

LionArkie

It makes him a top 10 paid LT, which I am not a fan of.  I dont think he is worth that but again I understand how NFL contracts work and rarely are the top guys the highest paid.  I do think we could have got similar production for much cheaper.  I also would have preferred to lock up Golladay long term before worrying about Decker.  This feels like when we kept Jeff Backus around forever even though he was very average and most of his career he was overpaid.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It makes him a top 10 paid LT, which I am not a fan of.  I dont think he is worth that but again I understand how NFL contracts work and rarely are the top guys the highest paid.  I do think we could have got similar production for much cheaper.  I also would have preferred to lock up Golladay long term before worrying about Decker.  This feels like when we kept Jeff Backus around forever even though he was very average and most of his career he was overpaid.  

Yeah, I don't love the contract either. I do think that young, solid, reliable LT play is tough to come by: you're either drafting that player early or paying that player bigly in free agency. It's hard to find it cheap. (I'm not saying you disagree or anything.)

• Like 1

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I don't love the contract either. I do think that young, solid, reliable LT play is tough to come by: you're either drafting that player early or paying that player bigly in free agency. It's hard to find it cheap. (I'm not saying you disagree or anything.)

For sure.  Its just disappointing to me.  Its one spot where you dont want average.  And we have settled for average there for 20+ years. 

I like the re-signing, and am on the fence if he is worth it or not.  He's not my favorite, but in the end, I'd rather BQ resign Decker, than trust him to replace him in FA.  As far as Glasgow goes, i'm not as upset we didn't sign him for what Denver signed him for. I'm more upset we didn't even try. If I remember right, not even a phone call according to Glasgow.  That irritates me to no end.

• Like 1

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

For sure.  Its just disappointing to me.  Its one spot where you dont want average.  And we have settled for average there for 20+ years. 

I sort of look at it it differently. I think getting "steady" play from your LT for 20+ years is pretty good in this league, and I'd argue (without facts) that fewer than 12ish teams have had that sustained level of play at that position.

It's far from ideal, but, considering the defensive freaks in this league, being "good enough" for a long time at LT is a plus, in my opinion.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I sort of look at it it differently. I think getting "steady" play from your LT for 20+ years is pretty good in this league, and I'd argue (without facts) that fewer than 12ish teams have had that sustained level of play at that position.

It's far from ideal, but, considering the defensive freaks in this league, being "good enough" for a long time at LT is a plus, in my opinion.

I would argue that it hasn't really been sustained solid play.  Decker has had 2 bad years out of his four.  Backus was about 50/50 on solid play.  So I would bet we have had fewer LTs over that time, but doesnt mean our QBs blindside was protected. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would argue that it hasn't really been sustained solid play.  Decker has had 2 bad years out of his four.  Backus was about 50/50 on solid play.  So I would bet we have had fewer LTs over that time, but doesnt mean our QBs blindside was protected. 

I wish I had the drive and/or motivation to dig into the stats for each. I know I've argued on Backus' behalf on numerous occasions.

I just don't have it in me. You win.

57 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I like the re-signing, and am on the fence if he is worth it or not.  He's not my favorite, but in the end, I'd rather BQ resign Decker, than trust him to replace him in FA.  As far as Glasgow goes, i'm not as upset we didn't sign him for what Denver signed him for. I'm more upset we didn't even try. If I remember right, not even a phone call according to Glasgow.  That irritates me to no end.

It's possible that they already had an idea of what he was going to want and it was well beyond what they were comfortable spending on for the position/production. There are only so many dollars to spend and they do have to build the team around a QB with a veteran contract as opposed to someone on a rookie contract.