Jump to content
LionArkie

Decker's New Contract

Recommended Posts

I enjoy seeing our guys get extended contracts. It’s time to get Kenny G taken care of. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is exactly what I was expecting to happen. Whether he deserves the contract or not, this move just makes sense given the current situation with COVID-19 and the next two draft seasons. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it shows the big picture behind letting Glasgow walk. They felt they could get similar production in the 3rd round while locking Decker in long term.

If that's their rationale, it's a smart move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes him a top 10 paid LT, which I am not a fan of.  I dont think he is worth that but again I understand how NFL contracts work and rarely are the top guys the highest paid.  I do think we could have got similar production for much cheaper.  I also would have preferred to lock up Golladay long term before worrying about Decker.  This feels like when we kept Jeff Backus around forever even though he was very average and most of his career he was overpaid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It makes him a top 10 paid LT, which I am not a fan of.  I dont think he is worth that but again I understand how NFL contracts work and rarely are the top guys the highest paid.  I do think we could have got similar production for much cheaper.  I also would have preferred to lock up Golladay long term before worrying about Decker.  This feels like when we kept Jeff Backus around forever even though he was very average and most of his career he was overpaid.  

Yeah, I don't love the contract either. I do think that young, solid, reliable LT play is tough to come by: you're either drafting that player early or paying that player bigly in free agency. It's hard to find it cheap. (I'm not saying you disagree or anything.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I don't love the contract either. I do think that young, solid, reliable LT play is tough to come by: you're either drafting that player early or paying that player bigly in free agency. It's hard to find it cheap. (I'm not saying you disagree or anything.)

For sure.  Its just disappointing to me.  Its one spot where you dont want average.  And we have settled for average there for 20+ years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the re-signing, and am on the fence if he is worth it or not.  He's not my favorite, but in the end, I'd rather BQ resign Decker, than trust him to replace him in FA.  As far as Glasgow goes, i'm not as upset we didn't sign him for what Denver signed him for. I'm more upset we didn't even try. If I remember right, not even a phone call according to Glasgow.  That irritates me to no end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

For sure.  Its just disappointing to me.  Its one spot where you dont want average.  And we have settled for average there for 20+ years. 

I sort of look at it it differently. I think getting "steady" play from your LT for 20+ years is pretty good in this league, and I'd argue (without facts) that fewer than 12ish teams have had that sustained level of play at that position.

It's far from ideal, but, considering the defensive freaks in this league, being "good enough" for a long time at LT is a plus, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I sort of look at it it differently. I think getting "steady" play from your LT for 20+ years is pretty good in this league, and I'd argue (without facts) that fewer than 12ish teams have had that sustained level of play at that position.

It's far from ideal, but, considering the defensive freaks in this league, being "good enough" for a long time at LT is a plus, in my opinion.

I would argue that it hasn't really been sustained solid play.  Decker has had 2 bad years out of his four.  Backus was about 50/50 on solid play.  So I would bet we have had fewer LTs over that time, but doesnt mean our QBs blindside was protected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always felt Backus and Decker would have been much better at RT. Too bad we can never land a stud LT with all those top 5 picks. I think that might make a ton of difference for this team.

Edited by LionArkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would argue that it hasn't really been sustained solid play.  Decker has had 2 bad years out of his four.  Backus was about 50/50 on solid play.  So I would bet we have had fewer LTs over that time, but doesnt mean our QBs blindside was protected. 

I wish I had the drive and/or motivation to dig into the stats for each. I know I've argued on Backus' behalf on numerous occasions.

I just don't have it in me. You win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I like the re-signing, and am on the fence if he is worth it or not.  He's not my favorite, but in the end, I'd rather BQ resign Decker, than trust him to replace him in FA.  As far as Glasgow goes, i'm not as upset we didn't sign him for what Denver signed him for. I'm more upset we didn't even try. If I remember right, not even a phone call according to Glasgow.  That irritates me to no end.

It's possible that they already had an idea of what he was going to want and it was well beyond what they were comfortable spending on for the position/production. There are only so many dollars to spend and they do have to build the team around a QB with a veteran contract as opposed to someone on a rookie contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...