Decker's New Contract

LionArkie

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Joe Thomas is still a HOF LT with never being on a winning team.  Calvin and Barry showed their skill on bad teams.  Matt Stafford has shown his skill on a bad team.  Darius Slay did as well.  Just being on a bad team is not an excuse for average play.  Backus had some solid years.  Albeit that article was horrible, just the sack numbers alone are enough to replace him unless he was dominant in the run game which based on the fact we haven't had a 1k rusher since Barry leads me to believe he wasn't that either (plus memory of him just not being that great). He was ok, but thats about it, and for a long time we have settled for ok because thats what we draft and chose to resign.  Its just annoying and IMO a big part of the being stuck in the middle/bottom of the league for so long. 

Reggie Bush when people so easily forget his 1006 yard performance in 2013:

tenor.gif

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

Kevin Jones and James Stewart Also had 1k plus seasons and Kevin Smith was something like 20 yards away from having one. 

That being said, Backus was solid. Not great or even good, but solid. The problem with solid though is that it’s pretty easy to argue that the bad outweighed the good. 

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I just wonder how much better Backus would've looked had he played for a better team.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:16 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I just wonder how much better Backus would've looked had he played for a better team.

It’s hard to say because he did have a number of bad OGs next to him (and a couple decent ones). All in I still think he would have had the major misses that he had. There’s about a handful of sacks that I can vividly remember him looking like an absolute joke on and I’m sure there’s at least 1 all of us can remember. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 6:29 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I wish I had the drive and/or motivation to dig into the stats for each. I know I've argued on Backus' behalf on numerous occasions.

I just don't have it in me. You win.

I’m with you.

LT is no doubt an important position. Both Backus and Decker bring a consistency in their performance to the game. Neither are flashy. Neither grabs headlines but both have a good work ethic and consistency. Another consideration is using resources to upgrade a position. This signing indicates to me they feel it’s much easier to upgrade consistency at other positions and the team is fine with Decker long term. Check the guaranteed money.

• Like 1