WR Tyrell Williams placed on IR

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

What I worry most about is teams only having 2 targets to take away: Waller and Ruggs.... it’s gonna be tough if teams can take Waller away for stretches.  

I honestly doubt that becomes an issue. 

If Ruggs is as good as advertised, opposing D's will have to shut down 2 true #1 options. Most teams have difficulty shutting 1 down. 

Add to it a premier RB AND Agholor, who has done enough to warrant opposing D's respect, you're asking teams to shut down 4 big-time playmakers. 

Renfrow isn't just some slouch you can ignore, and that still leaves Edwards. 

Shutting down Waller and Ruggs alone would likely mean double-coverage on both. That's 4 of 7 or 8 defenders off the  line taken away, leaving only 3 or 4 guys to deal with Jacobs, Renfrow, and Agholor/Edwards depending on the set. 

Even if, as you say, just 1 is taken away, I see a tough task for D's to do so consistently with success. We may only have a 6 or 7 on the 10 pt talent scale, but we're definitely winning the numbers game in my book. 

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

If we only cut Williams right when FA started, didn’t give Joyner year 2 guaranteed, moved on from Gabe Jackson, didn’t give Mariota 9M to be a backup....

we’d have plenty of money to upgrade from signings like Nassib, Heath, etc and sign some high end talent.

There’s always going to be “wasted cap space” but we’ve wasted a bit more than normal.

There’s like 50M+ in cap room right there that isn’t giving us much production.

Not all FAs workout, and Tyrell was balling before he got hurt. Gabe is still a very good G they decided to keep after playing injured last season. Joyners been a bust and I hated the Mariota signing, but guys wanted DC to be put on notice. I imagine we move in from TW, Joyner and MM to save over 30m and use that money on players that actually hit the field/make a positive impact. 

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I wonder if we will see them add a vet WR. If it happens probably happens after week 1. 

Call me crazy, but I would give Josh Gordon a shot. 

I was against Gordon at first but when I realized he’s only Made 5.3M gross since ‘12 he’s prolly near broke- combine that with this truely being his last chance and the guys gotta be hungry. 

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s a pretty set of estimates.  Thank god for Waller... he def won’t have any reduction in targets this year.  I thought Carr was going to throw for 4500yds after being stuck at 4000 the last few years.  I think now he stays at 4K.  It’s gonna be tough... but we can get by from a team effort.

What I worry most about is teams only having 2 targets to take away: Waller and Ruggs.... it’s gonna be tough if teams can take Waller away for stretches.  

I expect us to have an up and down offensive season.  We could have games we straight sputter out, like last year.  

I can see Renfrow being more productive, especially with Ruggs taking the top off and giving him room to work underneath. 

16 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

We shouldn’t mess around and just get a legit WR1 like JuJu or Allen Robinson next year.

Whats Tennessee’s deal with Corey Davis?  Maybe we could trade for him?  I hate trading picks for 1 year rental players but at this point I’d sacrifice a mid round pick to reduce the chance of a poor offensive output.

Call me a crazy sky is falling guy.... but I can totally see the passing game being poor... a few injuries during the season at WR and we miss the playoffs..... Carr’s getting shipped out.... and we’re in rebuild mode again.  Laugh all you want but these things go to s_hite very quickly.  Williams wasn’t that great... but he was important to a WR core full of rookies and average players.  It’s a big loss.

Waller had 90 receptions.  Jason Witten had over 60 last season.  I believe Moreau had 5 TDs.  3rd and Renfrow.  We have real speed in Ruggs and Gafford.  We have Zay Jones and Agholor (39 receptions last year) as our experienced vets.  Then we have Bryan Edwards, the guy who people believe is already in place to replace T. Williams.  I think we will survive and thrive.

• Like 1

I'm honestly not worried about Williams injury. Sucks, but we should be okay. We are going run a lot of 2 TEs sets, and run the ball a lot. We have vets who need to prove themselves on contract years in Zay and Nelly. If we didn't have the vets I'll be nervous. Also, very excited for Ruggs and Edwards to get targets. Plus Hunter is in the mix...

Edited by Humble_Beast

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I felt good about the DMo, Chaz, Jacoby and Murphy unit for a bit lol 

I'll never forget that Chiefs game by Jacoby... Remember living in LA and watching it at this sports bar with a bunch of random Raider fans. I thought he was going be what Tyreke Hill eventually became...lol