Mariota Hamstring Injury Thread

TitanLegend

ProFootballDoc on twitter has described it as a likely mild hamstring strain.

It should be expected that this is a mild strain. The hamstring likely tightened up at halftime, and the Titans used discretion in not bringing him back.

While Mariota’s mobility is a big part of his game. This is not just about his ability to run. A hamstring affects passing. The hamstring could have played a role in the subsequent interception on his last play. It is difficult to get the right footwork/balance to set and step into a throw when the hamstring is not full strength.

He will reportedly get an MRI on Monday to determine the extent of the injury. There is hope he can play next week or very shortly thereafter, but we may not see the same mobile QB for a couple weeks.

Watching his periscope he says if it's mild he shouldn't miss too much time:

2:10 in to the periscope he talks about Mariota's injury.

My gut feeling, with very little backing it up, is that he's doubtful this week. Mularkey again emphasized that there's a lot of football left to be played, we're playing a game outside of the division against a team that has looked absolutely terrible the last two weeks, and, in the AFC South, being 2-3 isn't a killer.

I'd guess that if they feel like there's any real limitations, they're better off sitting him and giving him 15 days between games. Though, unless he practices fully on Friday, this is probably go down as a game-time call on Sunday. At the very least, it forces the Dolphins to prepare for two entirely different offenses.

We should know pretty soon because they'll have to make the call on whether or not to bring in a 2nd QB. Surely they're not going to rely on Ferguson, even for a game, as the #2. And we're not gonna wait til Friday or whatever to sign a backup QB and have him not know the gameplan.

19 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

We should know pretty soon because they'll have to make the call on whether or not to bring in a 2nd QB. Surely they're not going to rely on Ferguson, even for a game, as the #2. And we're not gonna wait til Friday or whatever to sign a backup QB and have him not know the gameplan.

Not really. Marcus might be good enough to play and they hold him out anyways and just make him the backup for Sunday. I could see that. I wouldn't mind it though we might need him. Jay Cutler is going to look like Tom Brady unless our pass rush brings him down which should be the case but you never know. 

If we can run the ball and throw quick passes and screens. Maybe some end arounds with Taylor. Stuff like that I don't think we really need Marcus till Monday night.. Bring Marcus and Davis back together for the HYPE :D

Just now, VY-FTW said:

Not really. Marcus might be good enough to play and they hold him out anyways and just make him the backup for Sunday. I could see that. I wouldn't mind it though we might need him. Jay Cutler is going to look like Tom Brady unless our pass rush brings him down which should be the case but you never know. 

If we can run the ball and throw quick passes and screens. Maybe some end arounds with Taylor. Stuff like that I don't think we really need Marcus till Monday night.. Bring Marcus and Davis back together for the HYPE :D

The logic behind "have the backup be the guy who is hurt" never made sense to me. If Cassel goes out there and gets hurt on the first play it's not different than if Marcus just started the game.

If Marcus is healthy enough to play he's healthy enough to start. I don't see where the difference comes in of "being healthy enough to be a backup, but not a starter". If Marcus is not 100% on Sunday he needs to sit. Falling to 2-3 would suck but like 21 said it doesn't kill the season. Mariota playing hurt and just making the injury worse can kill the season.

2 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Marcus needs to play no ifs ands or buts. Sorry Rodgers Brady Manning hell even McNair back in the day plays through this

If it's something like bruised ribs or the like sure. A hamstring injury that can seriously effect how he throws the ball and can easily be made worse by playing on(see: Corey Davis) you don't mess around with, certainly not in week 5.

We cannot under any circumstances lose Marcus for an extended period of time. Our season is done if we do. If we have to start Cassel and he sucks so bad we lose to Miami then that sucks but it's not season ending.

I think we could win a game with Cassell.  Last year he played decent enough against a Texans team that was trying but not really.

If our defense can stop someone...anyone and our running game does what it has done the previous games, then Cassell can make a throw or two.

But, even I'm not overly optimistic about that...

With Houston in KC next week Titans need to go out there and take back the division lead plus Marcus if he survives Sun will have an extra day of rest going into Monday night they need him to play because Cassel is garbage I’m sorry we can’t go out there and have Cassel lose us a game 

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

If it's something like bruised ribs or the like sure. A hamstring injury that can seriously effect how he throws the ball and can easily be made worse by playing on(see: Corey Davis) you don't mess around with, certainly not in week 5.

We cannot under any circumstances lose Marcus for an extended period of time. Our season is done if we do. If we have to start Cassel and he sucks so bad we lose to Miami then that sucks but it's not season ending.

I agree 100%.  If he's going to sit, he needs to sit.  Bringing in a guy off the streets this late is not appealing... I honestly wouldn't be agains them bringing Ferguson up and letting him if needed.  At this point I really don't think he could be much worse than Cassell.  

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I think we could win a game with Cassell.  Last year he played decent enough against a Texans team that was trying but not really.

If our defense can stop someone...anyone and our running game does what it has done the previous games, then Cassell can make a throw or two.

But, even I'm not overly optimistic about that...

I'm not as optimistic.  Defenses have to respect Mariota's intelligence and ability to hold on to the handoff and take off himself.  I think that respect is as important as any other aspect of our run game.  It freezes a player or 2 just long enough to put them out of place completely or allowing an OLmen an easier path to through that 2nd level... allowing the runners to get extra room.  I think that's a really underappreciated and forgotten component of our successful running game.  

Cassel is a sitting duck back there. He’s not accurate over 10 yards he can’t throw deep he can’t move he’s just bad. Yes he beat Houston in a meaningless game for Houston but the Dolphins as bad as they are playing will tee off on Cassel. The o-line might hold up but I don’t trust him to make enough plays to win and this isn’t a team we should lose too. Also Mariota has a history of bouncing big after losses he got destroyed vs Miami and when he got to play a again a few weeks later he played great against NO. Last year had a bad game vs Indy and lit up the Jags on TNF so I really want him to play Sunday I believe he’ll bounce back in a big way

Archived