Raiders trade T David Sharpe + 2021 7th to Redskins for 2021 6th

RaidersAreOne

I thought Sharpe was a decent player?  So we keep Parker over Sharpe.  I hope he learned how to play on the right side or they are willing to let him play on the left if Miller goes down.  If Miller gets hurt and we move Brown to the left we should have just cut Parker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I thought Sharpe was a decent player?  So we keep Parker over Sharpe.  I hope he learned how to play on the right side or they are willing to let him play on the left if Miller goes down.  If Miller gets hurt and we move Brown to the left we should have just cut Parker.

This sharp is wayyyyyy better than Parker but it just means the new fa lt doing ok I guess 

It prolly was just a combination of:

Sharpe’s cap was 2.133M while Young costs just 750K.  It’s not a huge savings but we don’t have much cap room and wanted to save money.

*This year more money that ever before will be added to the cap throughout the season.  When you move a player onto the active roster your guaranteeing them 4 game checks.  If there’s a bunch of injuries or Covid positives we could spend a few million throughout the season bringing new guys aboard, not to mention when guys go to IR and a new player is brought in that increases our cap spending.  I could see teams needing to spend an additional 2.5-3M easily throughout the season.

Young is a Gruden kinda guy and played decently

Denzel Good can play RT

Sharpe played better; albeit isn’t great

Sharpe was a hold over from old regime

Even though we didn’t get much back in a trade, at least it cut the cost of the McMillian trade down 

The team’s confident that Trent Brown is healthy and can stay healthy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

More likely we are keeping Young over Sharpe and the difference in talent level isn’t comparable with the cap difference.

I dont like this trade if I'm honest. Sharpe I thought has played well in relief at RT and he has some experience at LT also, he's a solid to good backup tackle IMO and they are not all that common.

Parker has been a disaster and Young is 33 yrs old so and probably only around for this year so for me Sharpe has a lot more upside than either of those guys. A 6th/7th swap has such little value that I'd rather have a young backup tackle we know wont get our QB killed for a few years. 

Its not a make or break move obviously though so its not a huge deal and if we were going to cut him I guess it makes sense but that does raise the question if we don't cut Parker........maybe the Tom Cable guy gets a longer leash 😬 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Parker has been a disaster and Young is 33 yrs old so and probably only around for this year so for me Sharpe has a lot more upside than either of those guys. A 6th/7th swap has such little value that I'd rather have a young backup tackle we know wont get our QB killed for a few years. 

Sharpe is a UFA next season so his future was probably not in silver and black.

9 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Sharpe is a UFA next season so his future was probably not in silver and black.

I wouldnt have thought he was in high demand though and I've always felt he's done well when called upon here. He's a player who I'd have tried to keep around if possible.

Edited by Darbsk

34 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I wouldnt have thought he was in high demand though and I've always felt he's done well when called upon here. He's a player who I'd have tried to keep around if possible.

Well, if there's no demand, how good is he? We're pretty set with our starting OTs at this point but that's not the case throughout the league so if a good backup hits FA, someone should offer him more than we could afford. So what i'm saying is if we could bring him back cheaply, he's probably not that good.

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

Well, if there's no demand, how good is he? We're pretty set with our starting OTs at this point but that's not the case throughout the league so if a good backup hits FA, someone should offer him more than we could afford. So what i'm saying is if we could bring him back cheaply, he's probably not that good.

Didn't say there would be no demand but he obviously wouldn't be a priority FA for most teams, though as I said I think he's underrated as he's a decent to good backup tackle who could potentially start for a few teams. I value that quite highly, its not easy to replace that and most teams have liabilities in there once a starter goes down.

Brown lest we forget missed a few games last year, played through nagging injuries and missed most of camp this year for whatever reason, its not like he's a Brett Favre ironman that doesn't need a capable backup. Our identity is the OL and power run game but we've obviously chosen Young and hopefully we won't see if he's a downgrade!!!

The guys at the Athletic didn’t have Sharpe making the team a few days ago on their final 53 mock. Which surprised me that we kept Parker over him in that scenario. Nonetheless, I’m glad we got some value for a guy that may or may not have been outright cut. If we’re picking 20’s and they’re picking top 10, this could be a pretty significant swap in the late rounds.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Sharpe’s cap was 2.133M while Young costs just 750K.  It’s not a huge savings but we don’t have much cap room and wanted to save money.

*This year more money that ever before will be added to the cap throughout the season.  When you move a player onto the active roster your guaranteeing them 4 game checks.  If there’s a bunch of injuries or Covid positives we could spend a few million throughout the season bringing new guys aboard, not to mention when guys go to IR and a new player is brought in that increases our cap spending.  I could see teams needing to spend an additional 2.5-3M easily throughout the season.

Denzel Good can play RT

Even though we didn’t get much back in a trade, at least it cut the cost of the McMillian trade down 

We need to ask Gabe Jackson to take a pay cut.  That's what I want to see.

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Denzel Good can play RT

this.... Sharpe wasn't brought in by Gruden, so he could care less about him. I always thought Sharpe could be a stud RG and a cheap replacement for Jackson..Good is close to the same player, and Gruden loves him some Sam Young lol. Maybe Parker has stepped up too, I haven't heard much about him in camp. Which is a good thing for an olineman. I wouldn't have been surprised if Sharpe was cut, so nice to get something for him. 

Edited by Humble_Beast