Raiders trade T David Sharpe + 2021 7th to Redskins for 2021 6th

RaidersAreOne

22 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I wouldnt have thought he was in high demand though and I've always felt he's done well when called upon here. He's a player who I'd have tried to keep around if possible.

Prior to the draft I went back and watch every Sharpe (and Parker) snap and wrote you a little report on it.  I was very very very pleased with Sharpe.  Dude played pretty well.... I thought he was a low level starter.  I wish we kept him especially given Brown’s injury last year.  
im a little disappointed that We got rid of Sharpe to be honest.  But he wasn’t likely to last past this year... he’d get a bigger offer than we could afford in FA and Young isn’t a horrible RT... we saved some money... we’ll all never agree with the coaches moves.  It sucks to lose Sharpe but I wouldn’t stage an uproar about the move.

The main reason might be Good can play RT.  

Edited by jimkelly02

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Prior to the draft I went back and watch every Sharpe (and Parker) snap and wrote you a little report on it.  I was very very very pleased with Sharpe.  Dude played pretty well.... I thought he was a low level starter.  I wish we kept him especially given Brown’s injury last year.  
im a little disappointed that We got rid of Sharpe to be honest.  But he wasn’t likely to last past this year... he’d get a bigger offer than we could afford in FA and Young isn’t a horrible RT... we saved some money... we’ll all never agree with the coaches moves.  It sucks to lose Sharpe but I wouldn’t stage an uproar about the move.

The main reason might be Good can play RT.  

Yep, I agreed with your assessment of Sharpe and I thought we might be able to keep him on board mid to long term for a reasonable contract. I would probably rate backup or swing tackle as relatively valuable as they do tend to end up playing some during the course of a season and its always wise to protect the QB as best we can given that he's usually the teams biggest investment. I'm sure Young can hold that role down for a year but he is 33 yrs old and personally Id rather pay a little more to have a little longer security. Of course it could all be moot if Sharpe was going to leave to try and win a starting job, either way he at best would be #3 so its not a huge issue.

28 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

one of the first things to do next offseason, pay cur or kick rocks. 

Doesn't that depend upon how well he plays this year? If he's back to his best he would be worth it and if Richie retires I'm sure we'd like to just slot Simpson into the vacant spot. Of course, if he plays average then Simpson and Good are low cost replacements. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Doesn't that depend upon how well he plays this year? If he's back to his best he would be worth it and if Richie retires I'm sure we'd like to just slot Simpson into the vacant spot. Of course, if he plays average then Simpson and Good are low cost replacements. 

he is paid like an all pro, so a good season isn't enough. 

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

he is paid like an all pro, so a good season isn't enough. 

Well 'at his best' he was very good, Pro Bowl worthy certainly and excellent in pass protection and above average to good run blocking. I'd obviously favour him earning less of course but I dont think he's bad value IF he plays at that level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, I agreed with your assessment of Sharpe and I thought we might be able to keep him on board mid to long term for a reasonable contract. I would probably rate backup or swing tackle as relatively valuable as they do tend to end up playing some during the course of a season and its always wise to protect the QB as best we can given that he's usually the teams biggest investment. I'm sure Young can hold that role down for a year but he is 33 yrs old and personally Id rather pay a little more to have a little longer security. Of course it could all be moot if Sharpe was going to leave to try and win a starting job, either way he at best would be #3 so its not a huge issue.

Your right.... I was in same boat... hoping we resign him in ‘21 to a modest backup 2-3 year deal.... but to be honest someone desperate would have thrown 5M+ at him Plus a starting gig and he’d have left and can’t blame him for that.  
id love to have kept him longterm but in hindsight it wasnt a likely outcome.  And I don’t think we valued him enough.  
Hopefully we fill the swing tackle/ 3rd OT with a nice prospect whose a nice value in the 3rd-4th maybe 5th round.  Given that teams have to spread their assets (cap+draft picks) around all skill positions drafting a 3rd OT there is probably the best value.  If you find a decent player in the draft you have him for 4 years at a cheap cheap price.

im a firm believer in stocking up additional 3rd-5th round picks to be used on depth.  Why pay veterans 2.5-5M to be backups when you can draft guys and have them at below a million for 4 straight years.  It’s just a opportunity cost thing.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Brandon Parker getting the Khalif Barnes treatment. At least Barnes was productive. Parker been a pie

Sam Young has reportedly had a pretty good camp and will be the swing tackle for us this season. We can probably stash Parker on the practice squad as emergency depth, someone would've claimed Sharpe so at least we got some value for him. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Sam Young has reportedly had a pretty good camp and will be the swing tackle for us this season. We can probably stash Parker on the practice squad as emergency depth, someone would've claimed Sharpe so at least we got some value for him. 

Sam Young? Let's hope he doesn't get any burn. He's washed