Raiders trade T David Sharpe + 2021 7th to Redskins for 2021 6th

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Doesn't that depend upon how well he plays this year? If he's back to his best he would be worth it and if Richie retires I'm sure we'd like to just slot Simpson into the vacant spot. Of course, if he plays average then Simpson and Good are low cost replacements. 

I don't think Mayock will ever pay 10M a season for a guard. That was a McKenzie thing. Paying guards 10M a season.

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

im a firm believer in stocking up additional 3rd-5th round picks to be used on depth.  Why pay veterans 2.5-5M to be backups when you can draft guys and have them at below a million for 4 straight years.  It’s just a opportunity cost thing.

And many times those 3rd to 5th rounders start their 3rd and 4th years. Got to think big picture at all times and why we're both good with adding a slipping WR in the 3rd next year.

Glad we got something for Sharpe but I liked keeping him. Saves money (just in case) if the drop off isn't much. Good can  play RT too so we should be fine, but if Sharpe balls out we will probably get pissed even if he never would have seen the field for us due to no missed snaps for Brown and Miller.

41 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I don't think Mayock will ever pay 10M a season for a guard. That was a McKenzie thing. Paying guards 10M a season.

Yeah at the time I think it was desperation to give Carr blocking up the middle... it was even messing with his head... so I’m glad we did...

but going forward you can absolutely get by with Drafting 2 guards with 4th round picks (Simpson+ trade around in draft day and get a 4th) and be totally fine.  Draft a G in the 4th... groom him 1 year... start him year 2.... you get 1 year of depth and 3 years of starts. 

Simpson was a high draft pick and his deal was only 4yr, 4.092M.  
And if they hit rookie performance bonuses it’s a slight increase in year 4 but still wayyy cheaper than the FA market.

Tier 1- in 2 out of 3 years.... 2nd round picks must play 60% of snaps, for 3-7th rounders they much play 35%

Raises Year 4 to RFA right of first refusal Amount; in 2020=$2.133M

Tier 2- For all rounds 2-7: plays 55% of snaps every year

Raises Year 4 to RFA right of first refusal Amount plus 250k; in 2020= $2.383M

Tier 3: makes original ballot (non replacement) Pro Bowl selection in any year.

Raises Year 4 to RFA 2nd round tender; in ‘20=$3.259M

So in most cases they’d hit tier 1... since they say year 1 and making the PB isn’t likely by year 3.  That means you get a starting guard for rough cap hits of >.9M, >1.1M, >1.2M, and >2.2M

you can’t beat that!  And you can almost always find a good guard at the top of round 4... but they go tend to go fast around then.

I’m with ya all... I was Sharpe’s biggest supporter here... it sucks to trade him and get nothing major.... I get it ...

but in the end Good is a nice RT and RG and of Brown goes down we can play him.... I think we want to keep him long term and just cleared out Sharpe cuz of that.