NFL Season Opener: TNF Texans @ Chiefs GDT

patriotsheatyan

No matter what this is gonna be close. Betting markets really thinking Chiefs are gonna take this by 14+ more.

Texans team is a big if, our entire offense is different, new OC, new DC, BoB taking a back seat. Defense looking different too. Only thing I know is that Deshaun will make this a one touchdown game by the end of it.

Texans record week 1 w/ BOB:

2019: L 30-28 @ Saints

2018: L 27-20 @ Patriots

2017: L 29-7 vs Jaguars

2016: W 23-14 vs Bears

2015: L 27-20 vs Chiefs

2014: W 17-6 vs Redskins

Chiefs record in same time span:

2019: W 40-26 @ Jaguars

2018: W 38-28 @ Chargers

2017: W 42-27 @ Pats

2016: W 33-27 vs Chargers

2015: W 27-20 @ Texans

2014: L 26-10 vs Titans

2-4 with an average 19.2ppg vs 5-1 and an average 31.7ppg -- Hey look at that. Damn near the Chiefs average ppg and allowed ppg from last year. Also the Superbowl score 31-20.

31-20 KC. Book it.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:47 PM, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Who wins?....Depends on how big of a SB hangover the Chiefs are riding on....

This is an interesting point. I think the team has a chip on its shoulder.

The Chiefs are definitely in an unusual situation. Yes, they won, but they had to scramble from double digits back in all three games. OTOH There is an remarkable amount of continuity in terms of personnel. 20 of 22 SB starters are returning, and one of the two who is not was an injury replacement, with the injured player back. However, two important defensive players are suspended and two offensive starters are sitting the season out for COVID. 

The defense has something to prove. They were good down the stretch and through the playoffs, but not all season. They cannot count on Chris Jones swatting every crucial pass at the LOS. Consistent pressure is the goal. The offense has a retooled OL and new starting RB. Clyde may become a beast, but he's a newbie now. 

Mahomes did not play well in the SB, even though he had the heroics in the 4th quarter. He has his own internal motivations and Tom Brady figures prominently in them. 

I can't see anything other than a comprehensive victory for the Chiefs. I'm not that big on the Texans this season anyway, but this is a rough start - followed by Ravens in week 2. I'm going 38-12 to the Chiefs. CEH plays a huge part in getting the ground game going - 2x TDs for him. 

On 9/3/2020 at 8:00 AM, MWil23 said:

Houston is literally one of those teams that I'd never bet on or against. They have one of the most talented QB's in the game, a revamped OL, and are capable of beating anyone in the league at any point, while also fully capable of losing a couple of random games a year against inferior competition and then coming back down to earth in the playoffs. 

I agree with this take. The Chiefs have a stronger team, but not going to be surprised if Watson outduels Mahomes on a given Sunday.

Watson is a cream of the crop superstar in this league and especially those fools who think QB contracts matter need a reminder.

Edited by wackywabbit

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 8:34 PM, Drained said:

I legitimately believe that Tim Kelly calling the offense for Houston will lead to an upset. He called a lot of plays in some of our biggest games last season (Pats W, Jax BLOWOUT and ATL blowout) and that was the first time I've seen the Texans properly move the ball since probably Titans 2017 lol.

Our receiving corps is also better this year. Works more to Watson's advantages, he will have to look for targets other than Nuk and I truly believe Brandin Cooks is going to have a really good comeback season and cement it in this game.

Two Tyreek Hill's and a few reliable hands is a good recipe for a QB that absolutely adores throwing it deep and needs those long-developing plays to develop faster.

(Oh yeah, our O-line is back too)

You are higher than Kelly and Weaver calling plays more than me.  I'm expecting the same crappy playcalling.   chiefs will win by at least 20+.  Also I would say our receiving corps are better.  Hopkins was a legit number 1.  We don't have a number 1 WR on the roster and not to mention Cooks and Fuller cant stay healthy for a full season.

Edited by Texansfan713