NFL Season Opener: TNF Texans @ Chiefs GDT

patriotsheatyan

21 minutes ago, viper952 said:

A lot of premature conclusions out there about this. A lot of factors involved for ONLY a 10-20% drop in ratings for a single event. Along with world events, there are NBA PLAYOFF games and baseball games going on the same day. I also think the abrupt start to the season with no preseason build up hurt the opening; I'm definitely still not feeling like the season has started. Also, the Texans were far from the national draw that we had with Bears-Packers last year.

Wouldn't surprise me to see record rating by the time we approach winter.

Edited by wackywabbit

On 9/11/2020 at 3:10 PM, Daniel said:

Yeah.  This game didn't tell us that much.  Howard is having a sophomore slump, the Texans offense misses having the best receiver in the conference, and the Chiefs are good.  Surprise surprise.

I will say I didn't expect the loss of Reader to be that big a deal.  I guess I underrated him.  I thought with Blacklock (who I loved), Omenihu, and Watt still on that interior, they'd be fine without him, but not having a big run stuffer really let the Chiefs balance their offense a lot more and not entirely depend on Mahomes every play.

It's also week 1 in a shortened offseason, so I'd expect that teams with less continuity to struggle a lot more in the opening weeks than teams that didn't change much.

Can we just point out that Weaver only put Blacklock and Martin out there on like, 10 snaps that game? And that Howard wasn't necessarily playing badly, it was just REALLY bad blocking assignments. 

I've seen the clip of Howard just giving up when Clark broke through a few times now, truth be told, Howard is not a good enough tackle as of yet to stop someone like Clark or Chris Jones whatsoever and if me, a lowly football fan can tell that just from common sense, then I'm sure the Texans coaching staff could tell that. So. Why did the Texans coaching staff find it wise to put the RB and TE blocking assignments on the left side, yk, where Laremy Tunsil is and leave a sophomore who only played about 10 games his first season on his own. It's ridiculous. 

The game was just bad coaching + KC being good + the team not really gelling much as of yet due to shortened offseason. It is also the Texans being the Texans, 10-6 team thats get blown out 3 times a season and falls to obvious trap games.