Fournette signing with the Bucs

Drained

13 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He was by no means perfect last season. He showed way more than I expected out of a 6th round rookie though. To win 6 games in 12 starts, with the roster he had, is impressive.

The Texans and Saints made him play from the pocket and he looked like crap. When he is able to extend plays with his feet, he is dangerous.

I’m eager to see how he does in Gruden’s offense.

Yep. He had his ups and downs, also doesn't help he had an OC that didn't play to his strengths. Just based on last year you don't annoint him as the guy, but he showed enough to think, with further development, he could turn into that. Hence what this year is for.

13 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Minshew coughs it up a bit.

He has a place in the NFL, but you'd never pass on a legit QB prospect because you have Minshew.

Right now where things stand? No. But that's why you play this season and see what you have.

He also cleaned up on his fumbling issues he had early on as the season went on.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Taking a RB top 5 that is a power/downhill runner that isn't gonna create a lot of yardage for himself and isn't a good receiving back is just stupid.

Brace yourself. You'll need it.

#Caught76passes.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Given they just worked the phones for Yan, I'm sure they asked around for a pick on Fournette and got nothing in return.

Sure, there is "former top 5 pick" upside to be had, but there are a lot of soft tissue and ankle injuries as well as "malcontent" issues (the on field fight a few years ago) that would scare off a team. He's a two down RB, doesn't really catch the ball much - market for that is dying quickly.

I'm sure there's a market for him, but not at his price tag...

He caught 76 passes last season...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

This was such an awful pick by the Jags and I'm not saying that in hindsight. It was bad then.

Taking a RB top 5 that is a power/downhill runner that isn't gonna create a lot of yardage for himself and isn't a good receiving back is just stupid.

did you know he caught 76 passes last season?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Brace yourself. You'll need it.

#Caught76passes.

Coming in to this on ET's side, I got your back.

To play Devil's advocate here: does simply catching a lot of passes make you a "good receiving back"? Dump offs and screens - plays where the RB is either the last option or it's basically an extended hand off - can be called for any player.

A good third-down or receiving back is someone who can be motioned into the slot, can actually run routes, is slippery enough to get open in man coverage and/or break tackles,  and has reliable hands. Not someone who catches 40 screens and thirty dump-off passes behind the LOS just because there's no one else open.

I'm not saying whether this applies to LF at all - I didn't see a lot of the Jags last year -  but I'm just saying "catching X passes" does not necessarily a good receiving back make.

• Like 1

Just now, Deadpulse said:
5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

This was such an awful pick by the Jags and I'm not saying that in hindsight. It was bad then.

did you know he caught 76 passes last season?

Guess that means he's a good receiving back...... lol

That 6.9 (nice... but not really) yards per catch was really doing something!

Try the guy just drafted after him. McCaffrey had 8.7 on like a thousand receptions. Cook 9.8. Miles Sanders had 10.2. Ekeler 10.8.

Fournette doesn't provide much value as a receiver. I never said he wasn't capable of catching the ball if targeted. Eagles 4th RB Elijah Holyfield has been catching passes fairly well in camp, but I doubt that indicates he'll be that effective in that capacity despite being able to do it.

Fournette did have his best YPC last year and obviously can add value to some team, especially for the money he'll get at this point which won't be a lot.

Not saying a team shouldn't sign the guy obviously, but it was a dumb pick and arguing differently shows you got the evaluation wrong or don't want to admit to it.