Does Alex Smith already have the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award locked up?

TecmoSuperJoe

Agree with the consensus to this point. If he can come in and perform at an adequate level (possibly due to an injury by Haskins) then he’s got a strong chance. But this is going to be a pretty stacked class for that award. I mean you’ve got a couple legit options: Big Ben, Matt Stafford, Philip Rivers, Cam Newton... and I’m sure there are a few other legit candidates I’m not considering currently.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

No. He's unlikely to play without an injury. I think Ben likely wins it. 

Is there some sort of perseverance type award in the nfl? He'd win that

This. On both accounts.

Smith was already limited as it was before the injury. There's no way that he is already to even play at the same level this early. Fr his sake I hope for the best though. 

On the other hand, the steelers won 8 games last year while shuffling back up QB's with an elite defense. If Ben can come back and play above average then I don't see any reason to see them not making the playoffs and that's all it would take for him to win in it, imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danger said:

I don't know what's with everyone's love affair with this guy. He's done. Sure he might be cleared to play but at this age coming off of that injury not playing for so long. Who would want to actually give him playing time?

I think the point was more or less does he get the award based on the horrific nature of the injury and managing to claw his way back. I feel like OP probably thought him actually playing was irrelevant (he said one snap, but lets be real, that is irrelevant lol). It was one of the most gruesome injuries we have seen in quite some time. The dude almost lost his leg and needed nearly 20 surgeries , so did that, in and of itself, warrant giving him the award right off. 

Can we give him his own award to not play? I don't want that dude getting hurt again. I can't believe they even cleared him for football activities. The last video I saw him in, with his family and kids, he still had a slight limp. He needs to stay away from the football field. Yes, his story is really inspiring and super impressive. It should end with him walking again and keeping his leg.

• Like 1