Week 1: Packers (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Green Bay usually starts off slow, but then we are relying on a lot of young guys this year.

Also this:

Kubiak better be ready.

What plays do you chose against a DE that plays like that?  Traditional pocket passing, since the DE doesn't rush hard?

Just have to make sure that wide zone is established, a soft edge like that is prime for the RB to wind back out the backside.  You can also call more traditional PaP instead of booting out. Fake the WZ and and set up in the pocket with that swipe action helping to set the edge instead of being the check down option.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GermanVike said:

What plays do you chose against a DE that plays like that?  Traditional pocket passing, since the DE doesn't rush hard?

Quick passes that slow down the rush and passing from shotgun. GB will sell out for the run entirely and leave themselves open through the air.

We need a big game from Rudolph and Smith this game I think.

So over my vacation, I've been doing a very deep dive into the analytics of the past 15 Vikings/Packers match-ups and have came away with a pretty neat stat....

In games where the Vikings and Packers play within the first month of the season, the Vikings are undefeated against the Packers when Minnesota has a lead at the end of the 4th quarter. Like wise, the Packers are undefeated when THEY have a lead at the end of the 4th quarter. 

So with that being said, the games in this rivalry are usually won by the team with the most points at the end of the 4th quarter which means that if Minnesota wants to start 1-0, they really should look to score more points than the Packers in week 1.

• Like 7

On 9/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, SteelKing728 said:

We only have to deal with this game and one more until Green Bay makes the biggest mistake their franchise will ever make when they run Aaron Rodgers out of town. 

Can't wait. 😤😤😤

Not having Diggs will be tough to replace, especially this game, considering he's had the Packers number for years. Can someone like Irv Smith or Justin Jefferson immediately replace his production?

I’ll put it this way. Diggs was viewed here as a complimentary #2. Thielen should be able to continue his dominant play and make up for diggs’s production by taking in more targets. We gonna see how good Jefferson is too when it comes to in game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Didn't we have an entire thread dedicated to discussing who was the better WR? I'm not sure that was a view held by anyone, always seemed to me it was 1A and 1B.

Nick Olson crushed this debate. Great read:

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/minnesota-vikings-news/olson-diggs-vs-thielen-who-is-the-better-receiver-and-what-makes-them-so-good/

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Didn't we have an entire thread dedicated to discussing who was the better WR? I'm not sure that was a view held by anyone, always seemed to me it was 1A and 1B.

That is right. Some viewed had differing views of which was the 1A versus 1B but even the ones that put Thielen at 1A I am pretty sure that was just for last season. Diggs is younger.

34 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That Yan trade looking smarter and smarter...huh?

If the injury to Danielle was significant, he would have been placed on the PUP list...even if the trade had never happened and he missed this game (which he likely will be), I still think they would be fine, because Zim is Zim.  He gets the most out of what he's got.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I thought diggs was 1A for sure, but I noticed more ppl here thought diggs was just a number 2 receiver. I’m curious to see what happens with our passing game now.

50 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I thought diggs was 1A for sure, but I noticed more ppl here thought diggs was just a number 2 receiver. I’m curious to see what happens with our passing game now.

I think your memory is very bad. I don't remember a single person here thinking Diggs was a number 2, let alone more people than thought he was the 1A.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

If the injury to Danielle was significant, he would have been placed on the PUP list...even if the trade had never happened and he missed this game (which he likely will be), I still think they would be fine, because Zim is Zim.  He gets the most out of what he's got.  

IR is different this year. Can put him on IR and have him back after three weeks.