Week 1: Packers (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

true.  Other then that one sack that got around O'Neal we didn't here the names of the ends much.  

Tackles did a good job for the most part of forcing them up the field beyond the QB, and unlike previous years the interior of the line, the majority of the time, providing room for Cousins to step up and throw.

3 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Did I say we were a top team team?  I expected this team to take a step back with the sheer number of snaps we had to replace, especially early in the season and without Danielle Hunter.

Our offensive line was more than adequate today.  Cousins had lanes to step up, move, and throw that were non-existent last year and we were able to run the ball pretty well, including on the goal-line.

My apologies I thought you were insinuating we could still be a playoff team. Cousins had some lanes where he could step up and move, but this game he had more snaps where he couldn’t. We did run the ball on the goal line pretty well you’re right about that. We are not looking to well right now though, and I don’t think we will get to better.

Just now, Illadelegend215 said:

My apologies I thought you were insinuating we could still be a playoff team. Cousins had some lanes where he could step up and move, but this game he had more snaps where he couldn’t. We did run the ball on the goal line pretty well you’re right about that. We are not looking to well right now though, and I don’t think we will get to better.

they might have locked pretty bad today but I think it's too early to say they can't be a playoff team

Just now, Illadelegend215 said:

That's a fine opinion to have, and the season may prove you right; as a coach, I'm never going to overreact to things that happen in the first game (my teams don't get preseasons either).

We can all be disgusted about the way our team played, and maybe rightfully so, but you also have to give credit to Green Bay for coming into our (albeit empty) house and playing well enough to win.  It sounds like they were the more experienced, better team today.  Like I've been saying, this is probably going to be a cross between a rebuilding and a retooling season for us.  6-8 wins max has been my prediction and I'm sticking with it.  At least football is back.

13 minutes ago, RpMc said:

At home with no fans and no home field advantage you mean? Home field means nothing right now in the stadiums without fans.

So you think this team will walk into Green Bay and put up 525 yards because they have no fans?

It was a neutral site game. What we'll be playing in all year.... If the key to success is our crowd, we may as well go 0-16...

Do you honestly think our regular crowd would have made this a win?

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

15 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Again, I'm not sure what you all expected with a bunch of defensive players seeing their first meaningful snaps?

Yarbrough and Holmes played a huge chunk of the game, first real heavy action for Jaleel Johnson, Cam Dantzler, and Holton Hill, and even Mike Hughes given his injuries.

Playing against an NFC Championship team from a year ago, in the second year of their scheme with no preseason?  This was more or less what I was expecting, the offense giving up a safety and throwing a pick that led to seven points before the second half put the defense in a terrible spot as well.

I agree, all of these are great points on why we shouldn’t panic. This was essentially a preseason game and the players looked rusty and out of place. Especially on defense. I think once our young corners get their feet wet, it’ll benefit the entire defense. All in all I don’t think our defense would be this bad throughout the season. One interesting takeaway is that Dantzler looked better than Holton Hill. I was expecting Hill to play better since it is his contract year, but if Dantzler keeps it up, I think he will replace Hill as the starting corner either some time this year or next year. Besides that play where he got beat on the go route, he looked impressive for a rookie corner in his first game. Also Thielen was looking like his 2018 self. I can see us bouncing back in a big way next week against the Colts. Not too worried about this loss given the circumstances. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

So you think this team will walk into Green Bay and put up 525 yards because they have no fans?

It was a neutral site game. What we'll be playing in all year.... If the key to success is our crowd, we may as well go 0-16...

No, you're making strawman arguments for me.

i'm simply stating that saying the game was "at home" was meaningless to the outcome.