Week 1: Packers (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

14 hours ago, RpMc said:

The show of unity was also accompanied by a moment of silence through which very audible boos could be heard as a statement of what the players unitedly stood for was up on the big screens. 

going to leave it at that explanation to keep within forum rules. Hope that helps to clear it up for you. 

I’m sure booing had more to do with the fact that most turn to sports to get away from life and don’t need to be reminded of what’s going on in the world at every moment. At the end of the day, entertain me. If you can’t, I’ll find something else to do on my weekends, and many others will as well. Hey, I did buy a 20 acre farmstead so believe me, I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me where that void can be quickly filled. For the fans that bought tickets to watch football, and I’m sure they aren’t cheap with a 17k capacity, it might be a bit frustrating to have to deal with these displays that at the end of the day, are fairly meaningless.

Very cool that the Vikes will be honoring Floyd’s family at the stadium. That’s a great way to go about getting justice for Floyd. Watching millionaire athletes virtue signal, not so much. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Things are gonna go downhill if we don't get away from the non-football stuff...

Only one more sleep until gameday! I haven't kept up on anything since the draft so I'm excited to see how the team looks. 

Can't wait until there is more football stuff to discuss. Has anyone yet ventured a guess on what the active 46 will look like? The team still only has 2 safeties on the roster, right? I think we'll see them use the game day practice squad elevation gimmick to promote at least one safety.  Miles Dorn is on the IT with Hunter so it looks like it will be Meadors or Metellus. I am guessing Meadors because he has had more time in the system.

As for the rest of the 46, some of them are obvious but a guy like Chisena is a an interesting case. Why keep him on the 53 at all if not planning to activate him on gameday for special teams duty?

If I get a chance later I'll put more thought into who the active players are likely to be. In the meantime, someone else can venture a guess if they want.

8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Can't wait until there is more football stuff to discuss. Has anyone yet ventured a guess on what the active 46 will look like? The team still only has 2 safeties on the roster, right? I think we'll see them use the game day practice squad elevation gimmick to promote at least one safety.  Miles Dorn is on the IT with Hunter so it looks like it will be Meadors or Metellus. I am guessing Meadors because he has had more time in the system.

As for the rest of the 46, some of them are obvious but a guy like Chisena is a an interesting case. Why keep him on the 53 at all if not planning to activate him on gameday for special teams duty?

If I get a chance later I'll put more thought into who the active players are likely to be. In the meantime, someone else can venture a guess if they want.

Agree Chisena will be active, there’s no reason to keep him on the team otherwise.

Guessing Meadors over Metellus as the PS activation backup safety.

Adding him puts the roster back at 53, so need 7 inactives:

• Boone - not needed if Cook and Mattison healthy. Abdullah plays special teams (gunner, not just returner) and has a role as a 3rd down receiving back
  • Sharpe or maybe Beebe - only need 4 WRs in the rotation for the offense. I think Beebe will get first crack at WR4, also he potentially has a role on special teams that Sharpe doesn’t. So Osborn (returner) and Chisena (gunner) both active. 
  • Cleveland, Udoh - only need 2 active backup OL. Hill backs up both tackle spots, while Samia backs up Elflein, who could slide over to the other IOL spots if needed.
  • Wonnum, Lynch - the rookie DL don’t get in the rotation yet. Expect Holmes and Yarbrough will both play DE, with Holmes rotating in on early downs and Yarbrough used on some 3rd downs if Odenigbo is lined up inside. Watts will be used rotationally at DT on early downs, and Mata’afa as a pass rusher on 3rd downs, next to Odenigbo, or maybe Watts or mayyyybe Holmes.
  • Hand - only need 5 corners active on game day, and Hand won’t be used unless he plays special teams (which he might, no idea given no preseason). Last year, Boyd was their best coverage gunner and I think he keeps that role (opposite Chisena) so he’s active as the CB5

29 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Remember that we can have 48 active this year as long as eight of them are lineman.

QB (2) - Cousins | Mannion
RB (5) - Cook | Mattison | Boone | Abdullah | Ham
TE (3) - Rudolph | Smith Jr | Conklin
WR (5) - Thielen | Johnson | Jefferson | Osborn | Chisena (Top 3 get the majority of the snaps)
OL (8) - Reiff | Dozier | Bradbury | Elflein | O'Neill | Hill | Cleveland | Samia/Udoh

DE (4) - Ngakoue | Odenigbo | Holmes | Yarbrough
DT (4) - Stephen | Johnson | Watts | Mata'afa
LB (5) - Kendricks | Barr | Wilson | Connelly | Dye
S (3) - Smith | Harris | Meadors (Call Up)
CB (6) - Hughes | Hill | Dantzler | Gladney | Hand | Boyd

SP (3) - Bailey | Colquitt | Cutting

------

As Krauser noted, perhaps Boone is inactive with Mattison and Cook both healthy - Boone is also a special teams player, though (not to the level of Abdullah perhaps),  That would elevate either Sharpe or Beebe into the top 48.

Edited by RpMc

Here is my go of it:

QB(2): Cousins, Mannion
OL(8): Reiff, Dozier, Bradbury, Elflein, O'Neill, Udoh, Jones, Cleveland
WR(4): Thielen, Johnson, Jefferson, Beebe
TE(3): Rudolph, Smith, Conklin
RB(3): Cook, Mattison, Abdullah
FB(1): Ham

DE(4): Ngakoue, Odenigbo, Yarbrough, Holmes
DT(4): Stepehn, Johnson, Watts, Mata'afa
CB(6): Hughes, Hill, Hand, Gladney, Dantzler, Boyd
S(3):  Smith, Harris, Meadors
LB(4): Barr, Kendricks, Wilson, Dye

ST(5): Bailey, Chisena, Colquitt, Cutting, Osborn

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

Here is my go of it:

RB(3): Cook, Mattison, Abdullah

Got one more spot.

3 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Got one more spot.

Hmm. Indeed I do. Good catch. I'll fill it with another RB: Boone. 

RB(4): Cook, Mattison, Abdullah, Boone

Edited by Cearbhall

27 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Remember that we can have 48 active this year as long as eight of them are lineman.

QB (2) - Cousins | Mannion
RB (5) - Cook | Mattison | Boone | Abdullah | Ham
TE (3) - Rudolph | Smith Jr | Conklin
WR (5) - Thielen | Johnson | Jefferson | Osborn | Chisena (Top 3 get the majority of the snaps)
OL (8) - Reiff | Dozier | Bradbury | Elflein | O'Neill | Hill | Cleveland | Samia/Udoh

DE (4) - Ngakoue | Odenigbo | Holmes | Yarbrough
DT (4) - Stephen | Johnson | Watts | Mata'afa
LB (5) - Kendricks | Barr | Wilson | Connelly | Dye
S (3) - Smith | Harris | Meadors (Call Up)
CB (6) - Hughes | Hill | Dantzler | Gladney | Hand | Boyd

SP (3) - Bailey | Colquitt | Cutting

------

As Krauser noted, perhaps Boone is inactive with Mattison and Cook both healthy - Boone is also a special teams player, though (not to the level of Abdullah perhaps),  That would elevate either Sharpe or Beebe into the top 48.

I made my guesses without looking at that. It looks remarkable similar. I suppose it is probably simpler to list the five inactive (6 if you think there will be a PS activation as we do).

We will find out today which player(s), if any are elevated for the week.  We can have 2, so technically could have a 55 player roster going in to tomorrow.  Those decisions have to be made by 3 PM today.

I'm guessing Meadors for sure, and perhaps Jones (who you had on your active roster).

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

We will find out today which player(s), if any are elevated for the week.  We can have 2, so technically could have a 55 player roster going in to tomorrow.  Those decisions have to be made by 3 PM today.

I'm guessing Meadors for sure, and perhaps Jones (who you had on your active roster).

Ah, Jones is on the practice squad. I didn't read the roster I was looking at right. That changes my guess a bit. I don't think they'll use up one of his two practice squad activation weeks this week. Instead, they'll go with Samia. I am going to stick to my guns at LB still. Don't think Connelly is ready yet.

OL(8): Reiff, Dozier, Bradbury, Elflein, O'Neill, Udoh, Samia, Cleveland
RB(4): Cook, Mattison, Abdullah, Boone

You may be right on Connelly; I had him active as another LB to play special teams - perhaps his spot goes to a 9th lineman and all of our current team of 53 lineman are active.  Could also go to one of Beebe or Sharpe should they have all five backs on the active roster.  It could also go to one of Wonnum or Lynch along the DL too.