Dolphins fielding offers for QB Josh Rosen

RaidersAreOne

I don’t feel all too horrible about it. Was he in the best position, not really. But he’s had multiple shots similar to those he was drafted with. Baker went to a Browns team that had just gone what 1-31 or something and was behind a capable QB in Tyrod Taylor and made it happen. Darnold has similarly been behind terrible OLs like Rosen at the same age. Allen had terrible skill positions and was considered to be far more raw. Lamar was behind a capable former franchise QB in Flacco as a similarly raw passer as Allen and elevated the Ravens offense.

Rosen had opportunities as a rookie. It hasn’t been an ideal path, but he was bad enough as a rookie that he put the team in a position to have the #1 pick in the draft. It wasn’t all him and he was a rookie. But all the other rookie QBs found a way to look capable.

Putting it into perspective a similarly aged Dwayne Haskins had started 6 less games than Rosen and nearly matched Rosens QB win total while behind a worse OL while within a franchise that is in absolute disorder. Haskins also showed plenty of improvement throughout the season, showing he could learn from his mistakes. Rosen did not show these things and that’s why he was traded while Haskins was given another chance to prove himself legitimately capable.

But I’m also likely pretty biased because people legit were taking Rosen over Lamar as a QB when he never showed to be better than Lamar in any capacity.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

Josh Rosen is just so Fetch.

Seriously though he's washed at this point. No reason to even take a flyer on him. He's proven what he is in this league... nothing. Not even good enough for the coaches to trot you out there to see what you got full time.

Just now, Leoric said:

Josh Rosen is just so Fetch.

Seriously though he's washed at this point. No reason to even take a flyer on him. He's proven what he is in this league... nothing. Not even good enough for the coaches to trot you out there to see what you got full time.

People probably felt this way about Alex Smith and Jared Goff too. 

His situations have been so bad that I don't know how anyone with an open roster spot wouldn't think he's worth a 6th / 7th round flier. Especially if you were a team like Pitt who has no long term answer beyond Ben. I mean, we are probably talking a 7th round pick at this point? Hell, could just be a swap of picks. I wasn't even a fan of his coming out, but there's no way I can't at least consider the possibility of a much better player hiding somewhere with a more competent team. 

Just now, Forge said:

People probably felt this way about Alex Smith and Jared Goff too. 

He has two franchises willing to cut ties with him and give up on him while he is on a rookie contract. The best thing we can say about Rosen is he did well in college and there isn't a ton of pro tape on him. He has alienated two franchises and one of those teams got him at a really big discount already.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

His situations have been so bad that I don't know how anyone with an open roster spot wouldn't think he's worth a 6th / 7th round flier. Especially if you were a team like Pitt who has no long term answer beyond Ben. I mean, we are probably talking a 7th round pick at this point? Hell, could just be a swap of picks. I wasn't even a fan of his coming out, but there's no way I can't at least consider the possibility of a much better player hiding somewhere with a more competent team. 

The thing is if he had value as a developmental prospect the Dolphins wouldn't be looking to jettison him. His contract is cheap but still higher then you'd like to sign someone you're hoping could develop into a good backup QB. Make the Dolphins cut him and then bring him in. Unless I'm missing something with how it works out but there is zero chance I'd want Rosen on my roster if he's counting 5m towards the cap.

1 minute ago, Leoric said:

He has two franchises willing to cut ties with him and give up on him while he is on a rookie contract. The best thing we can say about Rosen is he did well in college and there isn't a ton of pro tape on him. He has alienated two franchises and one of those teams got him at a really big discount already.

While this is a valid point considering that the 49ers and Rams held on to Goff and Smith (and the 49ers did have an opportunity to go in another direction the following year when they could have taken Leinart or Cutler) and I would worry about him not passing the eye test just in camp, we have to be talking complete and total flier market. Like, Rosen and a 7th for a 6th. Or just a 7th or 6th. Given the pedigree, the situation, if I have the ability to roster him, I feel like it's worth a gamble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leoric said:

The thing is if he had value as a developmental prospect the Dolphins wouldn't be looking to jettison him. His contract is cheap but still higher then you'd like to sign someone you're hoping could develop into a good backup QB. Make the Dolphins cut him and then bring him in. Unless I'm missing something with how it works out but there is zero chance I'd want Rosen on my roster if he's counting 5m towards the cap.

I mention that in my post just now...the fact that they are willing to throw him away speaks volumes...I'm more focused on the ridiculous cost to acquire him (pure flier) and the the low cap bounce (he'd count for < 1M for the team acquiring him for each of the last two years). I mean, if I were Andy Reid? Sean Payton? Kyle Shanahan? I kind of have interest in seeing if there's anything I can do with a talent that got a kid picked #10 overall (even though that was a reach even at the time). 

6 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Not exactly the highest of ringing endorsements...

They were (Smith) and are (Goff) legit, largely average starting quarterbacks. Nothing wrong with that at all and is a perfectly fine endorsement, if less than ideal. They won't carry a team, but you can be in worse situations

Goff was an absolute stud from his 8th start onward.

• He was the consensus #1 or #2 pick in his draft.
    • It was him or Wentz
  • He took over on a bad 4-5 Rams team going nowhere so he could get some experience as a rookie.
    • Absolutely no one worth anything said he was a bust after those 7 games.
    • His coach was fired after his 4th start because Fischer was a joke and they wanted an offensive guru to guide their talented QB.

Smith showed real improvement in year 2 going from 1 TD and 11 picks to 16 TDs and 16 picks.

• He was also the clear #1 or #2 pick in his draft
    • It was him or Rodgers
  • Any concerns about him early were about him staying healthy or about him maybe not being worth a number 1.
  • There were no 'look at Rodgers' comments because Favre was playing for those first 3 years.

Rosen was bad in year 1 and regressed badly in year 2. Miami had no choice but to bench him.

• He was the 4th QB drafted at number 10 and there were red flags about his commitment / attitude
  • 2 teams have decided to dump him in 2 years.

Rosen is closer to Akili Smith or Cade McNown or Brady Quinn at this point.

Edited by SkippyX

24 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Smith had five offensive coordinators in his first five years.

Believe he was actually 7 for his first 7. Jimmy Raye technically started two straight, but got canned midway through the second year. I don't believe it was until Harbaugh had Greg Roman in 11 and 12 that he had the same coordinator for two straight years. 

05 - Mike mccarthy

06 - norv Turner

07 - Jim hostler

08 - Mike martz

09 - Jimmy Raye

10 - Jimmy Raye & Mike Johnson

11 - Greg Roman

• Like 1