Week 1: Chicago at Detroit

Superduperman

What the hell, let's get it started now, not much discussion of current Lions events on this here forum

Despite Trubisky doing well against the Lions last year, the fact that the Bears are playing hide and seek with their starting QB for this game is an encouragement. If the Lions don't know what to expect, neither do the Bears.

All in all I have no damn idea what we're going to see. I expect the Lions passing game will be good... unless Khalil Mack goes ham on Vaitai, which is possible.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

I'm expecting the Lions run game to be ho-hum again and that Stafford will win the game off of his arm. I am also expecting the Bears to have to throw in order to move the ball. 

If the Bears start with Trubisky and he fails out, it would be a lot easier to move off of him and go to Foles. It would be significantly more difficult to start off with Foles and then move back to Trubisky after a bad start. Barring a significant difference in camp, I expect the Bears to start Trubisky and see if he can repeat past performances against the Lions. 

I'm hoping, no I'm praying we are not what I think we are. I expect to see a weak defensive line and a worse defensive backfield then the start of last year. I expect Vitali to be exposed in the passing game. I think we will rush for about 120 yards and will lose a close one. This will be one we should have won, but for some exasperating reason, we won't. I think we will like what we see in Jonah Jackson if he is starting and that he will be the best looking rookie on the team. I think our younger players will look good when given opportunities and we can see what is being built. I think KJ will show up and perform well.

So, here's to me being completely wrong.

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I'm hoping, no I'm praying we are not what I think we are. I expect to see a weak defensive line and a worse defensive backfield then the start of last year. I expect Vitali to be exposed in the passing game. I think we will rush for about 120 yards and will lose a close one. This will be one we should have won, but for some exasperating reason, we won't. I think we will like what we see in Jonah Jackson if he is starting and that he will be the best looking rookie on the team. I think our younger players will look good when given opportunities and we can see what is being built. I think KJ will show up and perform well.

So, here's to me being completely wrong.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I expect a close game in the 4th quarter with the defense not being able to get a stop when it matters.

• Like 2

I think there's at least some chance that the Lions can stop the run well enough. Shelton could be close to what Snacks gave em for most of a season, their DLs are mostly pretty stout if not dynamic, and the linebacker additions could help.

Pass rush is going to continue to be an ugly business though, and the secondary has a lot of young players who will get asked to do a lot. Maybe this Undlin dude can be a positive influence, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll say what I've said for the last several years about the offensive line and running game: I'll believe it when I see it. But the passing game has no excuses as long as Stafford stays healthy. They have backs, they have receivers, tight ends, a QB who has worlds of experience and very good talent, and an OC whose system has worked here as well as elsewhere. I don't even care if the OL doesn't pass block very well. They have enough personnel to run any set, any combination of routes, to get guys open short or long. If Stafford belongs anywhere close to the list of good QB's in the league, he will have this passing offense in the top 10.

I can give you a Bears scouting report based off last year and camp rumors/news/highlights.

Offense:

QB is big question, but I think O Line and TEs were so bad last year that MT looked way worse than he actually is.  Not saying he is good, but he isn't 2019 bad, which is beyond awful.   So whether it is MT again or Foles, I think either will be provide better play than Bears saw last year.   

I think interior of our O line will be much improved over last year in which it was abysmal outside of Whitehair.  Long was washed and Daniels was lost at center and didn't come into year prepared to play.   Ifedi shores up RG and Daniels and Whitehair are settled into their positions.  

That being said  I think our OTs, especially RT Massie are weak.

By all reports our TEs are looking great in camp.   Graham was reportedly washed, but has looked very good and motivated.  Kmet is exceeding expectations.   Bears had zero TE production last year so it may have gone from weakest part of offense to a moderate strength.   I think they will be sub par in blocking, but will present a valid mid range receiving threat.  Harris is also supposedly looking very good.   

RB:  Montgomery is hurt.  Was looking great.  That is a catastrophic loss as Bears have no quality bell cow replacement.  Only niche players in Cohen and Patterson and low quality back ups.  Bears were planning to run O through him I believe.  

WRs:  Allen Robinson is a stud, but is nursing an ankle.  He should be fine.   Miller is reportedly having his best camp and is getting actual compliments rather than coach speak compliments.  Rookie Mooney is getting a lot of run with first team, but has dropped some deep balls.  He is lightening fast, but tiny.   I think Mooney and Ginn are going to split time at 3rd WR and provide the speed threat.

Defense:

DL:   Goldman opted out.  That hurts.   Nichols is reportedly much improved and is looking good.   Hicks has been nursing a quad, but is a stud if healthy.   Rest of guys can play and are not weak, but are nothing special either.   Any injury to Hicks or Nichols will be a disaster.  

Edge:  Mack and Quinn - if healthy could be best duo in league.   Good luck with that if they are 100%.  This is strength of the team.   Cavaet is Quinn doesn't play as well without hand in dirt and it isn't clear how Bears are going to use him as he has not practiced much and they have not disclosed it.

ILB:  Roquan Smith and Danny Trevathan - on paper they are great.  Potentially amongst best in league.  But Smith while amazing in flashes has not lived up to draft status to date.  We'll see how he does this year.  Depth is poor and untested.  

CB:  Fuller is having his best camp ever reportedly.   Nobody else has been doing much of note, but rookie Johnson just started practicing and has reportedly impressed early and is already moving straight to CB2.

SCB:  Skrine - probably a slightly below average player, but he doesn't kill you.

Overall depth seems to be really weak at CB, but starters should be okay.   

FS:  Jackson - looks unbelievable.  Should be amongst best in league this year again.   To lose him would be a disaster for Bears as safety depth is weak.  

SS:  Bush or Gipson - neither has been named starter and neither are great, but neither totally suck either.   

Special Teams:

Cohen and Patterson are probably the best returners in league as a duo at KR and PR.

Our kicker is hurt and he isn't that great.  So we got someone off street.   Kicking could be an issue again.  

Game:

I think it is team strength on strength.   Our relatively bad offense against your relatively bad defense and your good offense against our good defense.

Vegas has you as a 3 pt. favorite.  That is about right.  Close match up on paper.

It will come down to who has better game plan I think.   Bears are terrible in openers under Nagy and during long breaks.  But he has done very well against the Lions.

I think the Lions have large edge in big play or chunk play ability.  If they can capitalize on some of those plays and some Bears turnovers I think they win fairly easy.

On other hand, if Bears edge players can get to Stafford and create turnovers it could be a long day for Lions.  

I think Nagy will be loathe to run the ball without Montgomery or will rely too much on gimmick runs rather than trusting his base plays.  I think that will hurt.   I think Bears probably win this comfortably with a healthy Montgomery.  As it is I have to give edge to Lions just like Vegas.  

I think whoever is ahead at half is going to go on to win game barring a major injury.

• Like 1

Its being widely reported that Okudah, the 3rd overall pick, may not start week 1.   He is not the current starter in camp.

Not because of injury, but because of performance.   Yikes.   

If this was happening in Chicago fans would apoplectic right now about it, especially coming off a season that saw you get 3rd overall pick.   

Heck if rookie 2nd round CB Johnson doesn’t start fans are going to be upset.  

That being said, I think it would still be surprising if this guy doesn’t turn out to be a good player in long run.

Detroit is going to be tempted to go after rookie or non-Jackson safety.  

If it is me I go after Skrine.  Skrine is the weakest link on Bears D IMO.

Also single block the DL away from Hicks/Mack side on runs and get hats on ILBs will create best run success.

Quinn is surprisingly good against run when anchoring, but he loves to go extra wide on rushes.  If you catch him out there should be a nice lane to run in.   Mack reads the run on way to QB.   Use the TE to his side on runs.  

•  
Edited by dll2000

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Its being widely reported that Okudah, the 3rd overall pick, may not start week 1.   He is not the current starter in camp.

Not because of injury, but because of performance.   Yikes.   

If this was happening in Chicago fans would apoplectic right now about it, especially coming off a season that saw you get 3rd overall pick.   

Heck if rookie 2nd round CB Johnson doesn’t start fans are going to be upset.  

That being said, I think it would still be surprising if this guy doesn’t turn out to be a good player in long run.

It's more of a testament to how good Amani has been from what I've gathered. 

First time in over 50 years I don’t give a hoot. I cancelled my NFL Cable subscription so won’t even see the game. Given the issues surrounding organized sports I expect the game will be disjointed with both sides playing sloppy. Playbooks will be drastically reduced and I don’t think rookies will have much impact. Not enough practice, no exhibition games. 

I think the game favours player groupings that have experience together. Stafford and the receivers could have a really good day. The OL could have a really tough day with the new additions. The secondary concerns me greatly unless the Lions have a magic wand they can use to get a pass rush.

Game one of what’s likely to be a 6-10 or 8-8 type season.

• Like 2

If Patricia's defense makes Mitch look like a Pro Bowler again, it's going to be another ugly season. 

I sincerely hope if the defense isn't improved Quinn and Patricia do not get another excuse from the Ford's because of the pandemic. Everyone is on an even playing field with that, but a year after crying they shouldn't be judged because of Stafford's injury I have a terrible feeling they'd get another pass from ownership.

1 hour ago, cp0k2 said:

If Patricia's defense makes Mitch look like a Pro Bowler again, it's going to be another ugly season. 

I sincerely hope if the defense isn't improved Quinn and Patricia do not get another excuse from the Ford's because of the pandemic. Everyone is on an even playing field with that, but a year after crying they shouldn't be judged because of Stafford's injury I have a terrible feeling they'd get another pass from ownership.

I am 100% in agreement with you on that with the defense. Patricia will not have the excuse of not having the right guys in place - he has former Patriots at all 3 levels - Harmon (secondary), Collins (LB corp) and Shelton (DL). This includes guys like Flowers who were on the roster last year. 

COVID should not give them any excuses if they fall below a basic expectation (of mine) to be no worse than 7-9 this year.