Week 1: Chicago at Detroit

Superduperman

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I dont know what point you could possibly be trying to make by pointing out that I said some positive things about the Patricia hire.

Is that supposed to prove it was somehow not a terrible move?

I wouldn't think so. He's probably making the point that it was widely accepted as the "right" hire at the time, and that everyone that agreed would've gotten it "wrong" as well.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:04 AM, cp0k2 said:

Valenti tells it like he sees it, he doesn't pull any punches. His radio station lost the broadcast rights to Lions football a few years ago because he's critical of the Ford's and their failures. The Lions wanted him fired, 97.1 refused, so the Lions went to another station. 

Valenti has openly admitted that he says things for entertainment purposes only, and that he often doesn't agree with his own takes. I stopped listening to him after that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Valenti has openly admitted that he says things for entertainment purposes only, and that he often doesn't agree with his own takes. I stopped listening to him after that.

Can't say I ever heard him say that, but I haven't listen often since Terry Foster retired. Have a link by chance?

On 9/19/2020 at 10:24 AM, Karnage84 said:

Organizations are made up of many people with each person having their own set of priorities and interests. It's important to be able to get everybody on the same page and moving in the same direction. When you're the leader, regardless of what happens, you are going to be held accountable. Patricia and Quinn brought in the New England style of organization - down to practice schedules, meeting schedules, practice philosophies, etc. Caldwell did take a much more relaxed/player friendly approach. He was successful with this method but it seemed that he wasn't going to be able to push the squad over the 9-7 hump. Patricia showed up and tried to impose the things that have worked for years in New England. A lot of guys adapted, some didn't. Some guys fit the schemes that they wanted to run while other guys weren't as good of a fit.

Patricia came in and tried to set the tone by doing his best BB impression and called out one of his best players in Slay. We've all been over this story multiple times. I hold Slay and Patricia accountable for the breakdown in the relationship. Slay should have come to his coach and aired his grievance and Patricia should have had enough of a finger on the pulse of the locker room to know there was an issue. Patricia wins that tiebreaker in a bad way because he is the leader of the team. 

None of this stuff matters if we are winning games. Patricia is not viewed as this goof who doesn't belong as a HC in the league. If we won all of the 11 4th quarter meltdowns, Patricia would be sitting here at 21-12-1 with a .617 record and averaging 10-6/9-7-1 over the last two years. 

Sorry, but I couldn’t disagree more. It’s funny how much rope you give a failing coach and yet fail to see Caldwell improving the team. Don’t give the guy with success the benefit of the doubt but give ridiculous support to someone whose done nothing but lose.

You keyed on something important. Patricia showed up and tried to IMPOSE the things that BB made successful in New England. BB didn’t show up one day and impose his will. He evolved the team taking into account all those individual differences in a locker room. He evolved his OWN systems and schemes. Now with a proven record of winning He can be a bit more demanding in certain areas. You don’t just walk into a room and impose change throughout an organization. BB is also a very effective manager of people. He understand how to motivate individuals.

I fail to see any positive effects of, “Patricia’s, culture change. Today they rattled off a textbook drive. Next drive was a bit rougher but they still scored. Then the wheels fell off as they seem to do. They just fell off earlier. Patricias defence is terrible and requires a pretty significant talent boost. The injuries in the secondary obviously impact the defence but that doesn’t excuse the line, the backers, the lack of discipline. Really, who is worth even keeping on the D. Trufant, Coleman and Okudah. How many of the starters on defence are ex Pats?

The offence is still easily thrown off balance. It all started well enough. The player that most impressed me this game was TJ. The running game showed flashes. But over all a pretty uninspiring effort.

I believe Quinn and Patricia have created a disaster. They look like a Marinelli team. 

Of course it doesn’t matter if a team is winning. But that IS the issue. The Lions don’t win and every player or coach that finds success in Detroit is jettisoned or simply leaves with a bad taste in their mouth. 

Its still early in the season but I think most Lion fans don’t hold out much hope for this season. I also think most Lion fans have lost any faith they may have had in the Quinn Patricia approach. 

I really, really hope I’m wrong but like so many others, I have no faith in the organization. Personally, I feel now is far more suitable for a rebuild than when they fired Caldwell. I would be watching next weeks game closely. A loss and I would remove Quinn and Patricia. 

• Like 3

Thought the same thing about this team looking like a Marinelli team.  The front 7 of this defense is completely void of talent. Trey Flowers is an above average DL at a high price.  The middle of the defense is soft. Very soft. I never liked building the back of the defense first and this is why.  I tried to give this administration time, but I'm completely over them now. Fire Patricia, put Bevell in place and see what he can do for the next 14 games.  Matty P is not going to do anything else, let's see if it is a talent issue or a coaching issue.  I think it's all of the above.

Edited by LionArkie

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Can we please play the Jets? I know Darnold is pretty much Rodgers, and "end of his career" Frank Gore is a lot like prime Aaron Jones, but...

Yeah, if only we could get a break from playing powerhouses like Mitchell Trubisky...

It must be exhausting coming up with all of these excuses.

Edited by Nnivolcm
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Yeah, if only we could get a break from playing powerhouses like Mitchell Trubisky...

It must be exhausting coming up with all of these excuses.

Even if you wanted to call Trubisky and Darnold a wash, the Bears have a far superior depth chart than the Jets by a longshot.

RB: D. Montgomery, T. Cohen, C. Patterson vs F. Gore, L. Perine, K. Ballage

WR: A. Robinson, A. Miller, J. Wims vs B. Perriman, C. Hogan, J. Crowder

TE: J. Graham, C. Kmet vs C. Herndon, R. Griffin

Coupled with the Bears defense they have pieces to be a very good team as long as Trubisky plays better. Robinson is a bonafide WR1 with supporting pieces on that offense. The 49ers were up 21-3 by the half. Comparing the Bears and the Jets as being teams of equal quality is a false narrative. 

With all of that being said, I do hold Patricia responsible for the meltdown against the Bears and the loss against the Packers. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Even if you wanted to call Trubisky and Darnold a wash, the Bears have a far superior depth chart than the Jets by a longshot.

RB: D. Montgomery, T. Cohen, C. Patterson vs F. Gore, L. Perine, K. Ballage

WR: A. Robinson, A. Miller, J. Wims vs B. Perriman, C. Hogan, J. Crowder

TE: J. Graham, C. Kmet vs C. Herndon, R. Griffin

Coupled with the Bears defense they have pieces to be a very good team as long as Trubisky plays better. Robinson is a bonafide WR1 with supporting pieces on that offense. The 49ers were up 21-3 by the half. Comparing the Bears and the Jets as being teams of equal quality is a false narrative. 

With all of that being said, I do hold Patricia responsible for the meltdown against the Bears and the loss against the Packers. 

11 straight losses. Team looks deflated.