Superduperman

Week 1: Chicago at Detroit

Our lack of pass rush is obvious.  Our DBs are decimated.  Patricia still can’t close out a game and Trubisky is looking like a stud again against us.  

Just remember, we gave up Jim Caldwell because making the playoffs every other year was inexcusable. We are now 9-23-1 under Patricia. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Just remember, we gave up Jim Caldwell because making the playoffs every other year was inexcusable. We are now 9-23-1 under Patricia. 

Quote for emphasis

I think we need to pump the brakes a bit. Sure, it was disappointing, as they always are, but we were up by 10 with 3 minutes left. The Bears needed a slew of injuries and an improbable string of events to make a comeback possible, and those things happened. Even after that, a basic end zone catch by Swift wins the game. He dropped it.

It was a fluke. I don't think it's the time to give up.

• Like 1

Takeaways from the broadcast:

• **** Stockton needs to retire. He was getting names wrong, results of plays wrong, yardage wrong, everything and often, not one or two mistakes.

• Fox needs to get rid of that fake crowd noise stuff. It's awful.

Takeaways from the offense:

• Stafford looked good. Had some mobility and a lot of velocity on his throws. Didn't show any signs of back problems. He forced a ball into double coverage and got picked off, but that was the only real mistake I saw him make today. He led the team down the field on the last drive and gave the team the chance to win.

• I had more hope for Kerryon and Swift. Swift has been hurt so I'm more apt to give him a pass, but he made a huge mistake that ultimately cost the team the game. Yes, a lot went into being in that position, but he had the ball in his hands for a game winning TD and dropped it. Kerryon didn't look explosive at all. Old man Peterson was by far the best back for the Lions today. I wasn't in favor of the signing but without him the ground game would've been awful. That's concerning given the draft picks spent on the position.

• The receiving corps missed Kenny Golliday. For better or worse, Stafford is used to having a big body he can throw it up to downfield and he didn't have that on the outside today. A few incompletions would have been catchable for Golliday. TJ played well, but he played well in game one last season, too so we need to see some consistency going forward. Amendola played well out of the slot and Cephus did more than I was expecting from him at this point.

• The run blocking wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. Crosby was not very good filling in at RT. Decker seemed to hold up well on Stafford's blind side for most of the game. 

Takeaways from the defense:

• The only pass rush seemed to come from blitzes. The front 4 is not going to generate pressure, just like last year. And also just like last year, far too many running lanes were available for opposing running backs.

• Collins getting tossed was dumb, but I'm not sure how much that hurt. He was getting caught in the wash on running plays he was in for before his disqualification. The other LBs didn't do squat. This is definitely a weak spot on this team and I don't think there's a way to fix it this year.

• The secondary was inconsistent. A couple of INTs were dropped, including an easy one by Coleman. I think there is some promise here and they should get better as the season goes on and as guys get healthier and more experience. But without a pass rush, they're going to get beat, can't cover forever. 

Takeaways from coaching:

• Bevell because too conservative, too early. Chicago sold out to stop the run in the second half and Bevell ran on first and second down far too much, especially down the stretch.  I don't know who was calling the defense, but whether it was Undlin or Patricia, they gave the game away. Blitzes were causing incompletions from Trubisky more often than not but they stopped blitzing and played more soft coverage late. Ol' Mitch could make a hall of very good career if he could play Patricia's defenses more often. 

I am puzzled by the time out on defense. Chicago had a one on one matchup for Jimmy Graham against Tracy Walker from inside the 5 and called the time out. But to do what exactly? Because coming out of the time out Chicago had the exact same mismatch and went to it for a TD. Why take the time out? What did you do during the time out?

Overall, opposing coaches continue to show a better ability to make adjustments during the course of games. The Lions defense especially seems to not have any answers once the opposing offense makes adjustments and starts having success. This was not only a winnable game, but one that absolutely should have been won by Detroit. Swift dropped a win, but it should never have gotten to that point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think we need to pump the brakes a bit. Sure, it was disappointing, as they always are, but we were up by 10 with 3 minutes left. The Bears needed a slew of injuries and an improbable string of events to make a comeback possible, and those things happened. Even after that, a basic end zone catch by Swift wins the game. He dropped it.

It was a fluke. I don't think it's the time to give up.

This is the exact same argument you make after every loss for years.  There is always some excuse.  We are always close but can’t get over the hump.  The injuries happen and some may not be back next game.  This was an easy game at home against a crap QB.  We had a big lead and still couldn’t get the first downs we needed, had a dumb turnover when we didn’t need it from our vet QB, and our coach again did nothing to change his gameplan.  We sat back, got no pressure and fell apart.  This isn’t a one time deal, it’s a recurring nightmare. 

• Like 3

Take aways...

Stafford made plays, like he has for the past 12 years.

This team lacks elite talent...or really good talent...or alternate pro bowl talent

DL is still a concern

Ol is not that good, but does just enough. I think they look better than what they are because of Stafford.

rbbc might actually work this year.

Lions need to invest in a hamstring stretcher and a hamstring stretcher operator.

I think 7-9 is absolute best this team will do.  I think they looked more like a 5 win team.