JOSH ROSEN

beardown3231

As the resident Rosen table-banger, this wouldn't make sense for the Bears if they're paying his full 4 year salary plus giving something up to acquire his contract:

-They have enough going on at QB, right?

-The "systems" he's "played" under are not that similar to ours, so the coaches would need to devote resources his way

If no team want's him, and you could get Miami to eat some of his 2020 salary, and it's a late late pick, sure, let him replace Bray, and maybe a lotto ticket pays.  

Being an NFL QB is a lot about opportunity and that opportunity is limited.  

You need reps and coaches attention and actual playing time.  There is only so much of that to go around.  To make it generally you have to be an early pick or have a personal champion at HC, OC or GM.

If you are a first round pick you generally get two real chances, if those don’t work out a third team will bring you into a camp kick tires and likely cut you.   You are probably done.  You have to make it in first two tries.  Rosen didn’t make it.  He had horrible situations, but those are the breaks.  I don’t believe he would have made it regardless, but I can’t prove it.  

Other unknown guys can come in and to light up a pre season game(s) and even then most don’t care.  Several guys have done that in recent years and they are still struggling to make rosters or are no longer around.

So if you aren’t an early pick or a coach/GM favorite you have to somehow make a roster and then have guys go down in front of you, get shoved into a real game and then play very well on no reps.  And then do it several times after that.  

Like Kurt Warner or Tom Brady.  They were both a non-injury away from nobody ever freakin heard of them.  But they seized their limited opportunity and now they will be in HOF.

It takes both a lot of skill and a lot of luck.  

13 hours ago, The_Romen said:

His salary is pretty expensive right? Top 10 pick money and he'd be the 3rd stringer here... I like him, but he doesn't fit here.

First rounder or top tier FA is the only way we go at QB if Trubs/Foles fail... I hope we never see Bray play in a game unless it's garbage time. Even if they get a QB next year, I'd like to see them draft a backup as well, even if it's a 7th rounder.

Yeah, that occurred to me shortly after I made that post. The new CBA locks him into his salary--he can't renegotiate his first contract. The Bears would have to wait for him to clear waivers. Which is a possibility. 

8 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Bears usually never carry 3 QBs. I don't see that being the case this year with how much Mitch and Nick are set to make in salary. This is also why I don't see them trading for Rosen.

If there was ever a year for the Bears to carry a 3rd, young quarterback, this is the one. And they can't trade for Rosen, that was a bad take on my part. 

On 9/3/2020 at 8:33 PM, beardown3231 said:

To be fair, Rosen was taken very high overall & traded one year later, and now one year later Miami is looking to deal him. He may not be garbage, but the odds that he's even mediocre are low.

As to your bolded point- you answered your own question. So what = they would have almost no chance to win with a 3rd stringer playing

But he was taken 10th overall in the first round. By your weird draft pick logic, doesn't this mean he has a better chance to be a greater player than any other QB taken in the 2nd? 

I'm not even gonna entertain this nonsense. So now we're having discussions/debates about the 3rd string QB position? Do better guys. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

But he was taken 10th overall in the first round. By your weird draft pick logic, doesn't this mean he has a better chance to be a greater player than any other QB taken in the 2nd? 

I'm not even gonna entertain this nonsense. So now we're having discussions/debates about the 3rd string QB position? Do better guys. 

Historically speaking, yes, top 15 picks are better than picks 33-48.

I agree on point 2. The 3rd string QB stuff is a weird discussion and rather meaningless

You gotta really wonder why two teams have given up on Josh Rosen rather so easily.

It's not as if Kyler Murray or Tua are can't miss generational QB prospects.

I think if he wants to continue his playing career it will have to be up north in the CFL.

29 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You gotta really wonder why two teams have given up on Josh Rosen rather so easily.

It's not as if Kyler Murray or Tua are can't miss generational QB prospects.

I think if he wants to continue his playing career it will have to be up north in the CFL.

Nothing to back this up, but I think Klingsbury wanted to groom his own QB instead taking on someone else's project like *Ahem* Nagy did Mitch. 

In Miami, I have no answer for that other than he may just isn't putting in the work and picking up on the playbook at the rate that he was expected too. 

I think he will still find a backup spot in the NFL somewhere. Especially before week 6 when unexpected injuries start to happen. 

• Like 1