Patriots announce Cam Newton as starting QB

RaidersAreOne

This isn't surprising. Clearly this Stidham talk about being the starter all summer long has proven to be nothing more then media jibberish. I have to assume they aren't comfortable rolling with Stidham in the future if they are pushing Cam to start so it will be interesting because they either have to pay Cam next offseason if he blows up or move on from him and start this process of finding Tom's successor a year from now as it clearly isn't Stidham.

The road still goes through NE to win the East but even with a healthy cam that offense still looks anemic and the defense isn't the same as last year so you can't count on them to carry them for as much as they have done. I will be interested to watch how this season unfolds for them. 

5 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Do we know how Bill is going to play him? Like a pocket qb? Designed runs? 

We don't know, but it will probably incorporate a lot of what we already had (because Cam has had to learn the playbook, Josh Mcd concepts etc), but will obviously incorporate some designed run plays. Probably see more run plays being added in over time. So, a lot less run orientated than his 2015 season, and more of the same sort of spread O that he's used in CAR.

Is my guess.

6 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

Why did they feel the need to announce this?

BB still refuses to announce it publicly, this was scooped from behind closed doors, so they didnt lol

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Do we know how Bill is going to play him? Like a pocket qb? Designed runs? 

If the Patriots have done anything in the past 20 years it is playing to a players strengths no matter what.