Who would you rather draft? Watt/Miller in 11 or Donald/Mack in 14?

patriotsheatyan

No wrong answer, but I'd take the one with Watt.

At his peak best defensive player I've ever seen (I didn't see White or LT). Miller has dominated my team before as well, and neither of Donald/Mack ever have, so that sways it too.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

I'd have to say Watt as well, though it's splitting hairs between him and Donald. I would take either over Miller, but might otherwise take Miller over any other defensive player of the last decade because the guy is just outrageous. Watt/Donald though may well end their careers in the defensive GOAT discussion. 

In terms of transcendent talent, there are a few names that come to mind:

*LT (I barely saw him play) changed the entire landscape of the game and Joe Gibbs had to create the single back offense to occupy him

*Reggie White was a 1/2 line single man wrecking crew.

*J.J. Watt in his prime was other-worldly as a rusher/run stopper and DPOY guy

No disrespect to Vonn or Mack, as they're headed for Canton as well, and you could put Vonn in that discussion for a 1-3 year window, and Mack is just rock solid all around, but they aren't quite in that discussion.

JMHO 

In comparing these guys to Hall of Famers:

Von Miller is Derrick Thomas. OR what we would have gotten had Thomas not died pre-maturely.

Khalil Mack is Lawrence Taylor if Taylor was clean. So Mack wins this one by a hair.

J.J. Watt is Bruce Smith

Aaron Donald is Reggie White

This is a push.

So if I had to choose, it's Donald and Mack. But this is one with no wrong answer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scar988 said:

In comparing these guys to Hall of Famers:

Von Miller is Derrick Thomas. OR what we would have gotten had Thomas not died pre-maturely.

Khalil Mack is Lawrence Taylor if Taylor was clean. So Mack wins this one by a hair.

J.J. Watt is Bruce Smith

Aaron Donald is Reggie White

This is a push.

So if I had to choose, it's Donald and Mack. But this is one with no wrong answer.

Taylor >>>>>> Mack wtf. 

Mack is more of a Jason Taylor type player for me. Not a generational talent. When has Mack been touted as the best defensive player in the game? There was no question about L T 

Edited by El Ramster
  • Like 3

Watt/Miller.

Donald is absurd and a hall of famer and deserves all the praise he gets.

But prime JJ Watt is just...different. If I'm an offensive coordinator, prime JJ Watt literally strikes fear in to me. Set up all the double teams you want, run away from him all you want, roll out away from him all you want..he's still going to destroy your offense. I've never seen another defensive player that would scare me to the degree Watt did at his best.

• Like 3

I think I would go for Donald & Mack. With the benefit of hindsight Watt has had a few injury issues over the years and though at his prime is about as good as anyone I'd love to see Donald at 3T and Mack at DE in a 4-3 defence.

I feel Mack is a better all round player than Miller though Miller is the slightly better pure pass rusher and Donald/Watt are so close though I personally prefer Donald especially with respect to staying healthy. 

If I'd had my way, the Raiders would have drafted Donald at #4 so he's like 'the one that got away' 😀

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

In terms of transcendent talent, there are a few names that come to mind:

*LT (I barely saw him play) changed the entire landscape of the game and Joe Gibbs had to create the single back offense to occupy him

*Reggie White was a 1/2 line single man wrecking crew.

*J.J. Watt in his prime was other-worldly as a rusher/run stopper and DPOY guy

No disrespect to Vonn or Mack, as they're headed for Canton as well, and you could put Vonn in that discussion for a 1-3 year window, and Mack is just rock solid all around, but they aren't quite in that discussion.

JMHO 

LT>everyone but I think Chris Doleman is right there with White and Smith