Peterson released

Slateman

Well, the future is now. I guess they really live what they’ve seen out of Antonio Gibson. I’ve heard great things about him in practices, to me it’s always seemed like he was the best back from what I heard. He’s quick, when he makes cuts he doesn’t slow down and looks like he keeps up his full speed.

I’m very disappointed bc I wanted to see Peterson start and guys like Gibson & Love to be worked in but it’s apparent they’ve seen enough to where they think Gibson can be the guy w/ Barber/McKissic & Love being his back up to take some reps from them.

The problem with Peterson Is if Gibson looked so good that they want to start him, it’s been proven that Peterson has issues accepting being a back up - remember New Orleans in 2016? Then, the fans get upset bc he’s not starting and it/he can create an issue on the team if he won’t accept that role.

Then, there’s also that fact that Peterson isn’t a special teams player which hurts him in the numbers game too. As much as I want him over a guy like Barber, Barber plays special teams.

I do think they think that Gibson can be McCaffery like, I guess we’re going to find out. That’s going to be exciting.

Edited by turtle28

This is sad, because he will always be one of the best running backs to ever play. But I understand the move, they are going with youth and more versatile running backs to fit the scheme. Which makes sense as it makes the offense less predictable. They also might be acknowledging that they want to fully test out Haskins this season and go more pass happy, so cutting AP in those regards, makes sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

This is sad, because he will always be one of the best running backs to ever play. But I understand the move, they are going with youth and more versatile running backs to fit the scheme. Which makes sense as it makes the offense less predictable. They also might be acknowledging that they want to fully test out Haskins this season and go more pass happy, so cutting AP in those regards, makes sense.

Jordan Peele Thank You GIF

Edited by turtle28

This is pretty stupid, especially since we saw what happens with an injured player in Guice last season when we tried to rush him back.  I hope that the same doesn't happen with Love (injury) or Gibson (adjusting to being at RB full-time.). 

Also, kinda shameful to do it to an NFL legend on the weekend before the first games.  

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This is pretty stupid, especially since we saw what happens with an injured player in Guice last season when we tried to rush him back.  I hope that the same doesn't happen with Love (injury) or Gibson (adjusting to being at RB full-time.). 

Also, kinda shameful to do it to an NFL legend on the weekend before the first games.  

I guess we’re going to find out. I understand it. There’s a lot of reasons why Peterson should still be here and be the starter while Gibson & Love are worked in as the come a long, but I can also see the reasons why Peterson was cut to make room for Gibson especially.

Peterson runs into issues bc he isn’t much of a receiver so we’re predictable when he’s in there bc were likely to run. He’s shown in years past that he’s had issues accepting being a back up so, if they want to start Gibson then Peterson wouldn’t accept backing him up very well and neither would the fans.

Peterson also doesn’t play special teams which is a big issue if they’re going to make Gibson the starter, they need a special teams player on coverage teams and that’s not Peterson.

I don’t think Peterson will be signed by anyone, so if we really need to bring him back in a few weeks or even a month, we probably can.

This is such a crazy development. Who in the world would have predicted that Peterson and Guice would be gone in June/July and it looks like Gibson has proven enough where he would be the starting RB?

Wow crazy! On one side I’m very disappointed still with what happened with Guice and I’m not happy that Peterson was cut but on the flip side it’s exciting that they like what they’ve seen enough out of Gibson to give him the job.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I guess we’re going to find out. I understand it. There’s a lot of reasons why Peterson should still be here and be the starter while Gibson & Love are worked in as the come a long, but I can also see the reasons why Peterson was cut to make room for Gibson especially.

Peterson runs into issues bc he isn’t much of a receiver so we’re predictable when he’s in there bc were likely to run. He’s shown in years past that he’s had issues accepting being a back up so, if they want to start Gibson then Peterson wouldn’t accept backing him up very well and neither would the fans.

Peterson also doesn’t play special teams which is a big issue if they’re going to make Gibson the starter, they need a special teams player on coverage teams and that’s not Peterson.

I don’t think Peterson will be signed by anyone, so if we really need to bring him back in a few weeks or even a month, we probably can.

This is such a crazy development. Who in the world would have predicted that Peterson and Guice would be gone in June/July and it looks like Gibson has proven enough where he would be the starting RB?

Wow crazy! On one side I’m very disappointed still with what happened with Guice and I’m not happy that Peterson was cut but on the flip side it’s exciting that they like what they’ve seen enough out of Gibson to give him the job.

Actually I think I came pretty close in the RB room thread or something like that.  I said I thought Guice would have serious issues making the roster with his injury history, though I had no idea that he had those skeletons in the closet.  I also said that Peterson would be at risk if he lost two steps, which may or may not be the case.  I definitely didn't think Gibson would have surprised this early. 

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Actually I think I came pretty close in the RB room thread or something like that.  I said I thought Guice would have serious issues making the roster with his injury history, though I had no idea that he had those skeletons in the closet.  I also said that Peterson would be at risk if he lost two steps, which may or may not be the case.  I definitely didn't think Gibson would have surprised this early. 

You’re right and I can’t remember who it was but another poster predicted that Guice would just be a straight up cut I think way before his off the field issues, like in May or June. I can’t remember who it was, but someone predicted that at least.

Well.

baby hat GIF

To you both.

The thing with Peterson is what it always is: he wants to be the feature back and he doesn’t do well in situations where he’s playing part-time. As long as he’s getting 80% of the carries/snaps, he’ll be great for you. When you’re asking him to split the load, especially when he’s getting the short end of a platoon — you’re gonna have a little trouble. He doesn’t want to sit on the bench. We saw this in New Orleans, and we know that Gruden anticipated it being an issue here last year (hence, inactivating him week one last year when Guice was going to be the feature guy). We also know that both Minnesota and Arizona let him walk instead of keeping him around to be a part-time player. 

I think the big takeaway here is that they’re really serious about having RBs who are multiple, in that they can catch passes out of the backfield and probably even motion out wide and threaten LBs/safeties. That’s not just going to be a piece of what they do — as a supplement to a traditional, Peterson-style run game — that’s going to be the primary concept. 

Everyone is pointing to Gibson and thinking this is about him, and I hope it is. But I also think they absolutely love JD McKissic, and I think we’re going to see him on the field more than a lot of folks think.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Very grateful to him for carrying our offense the past couple years. Wish him well. 

But, as I’ve been saying since we drafted him, this is Gibson’s backfield. 

Yup. Just listened to this interview in the car. He was effusive in his praise for Gibson and Love. And had nothing but good things to say about the team and Rivera.