Should we bring Adrian Peterson back?

Ozzy

Bring Adrian Peterson back?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Bring Adrian Peterson back?

• Yes
    • No

34 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Just glossed over where I said he’s a solid back, but go ahead and continue your childish tirade when you’ve been empirically proven wrong. I’d sign him to a one day contact to retire as a Viking if HE wanted to be done. He can still play, but he doesn’t add anything different than we already have. 

You mention Peterson bringing explosiveness to our running game when we’ve got Dalvin Cook, the MOST explosive running back in the league last year based on his percentage of runs that netted 10+ yards and percentage of runs on which he hits 15 MPH or higher (2nd in the league overall behind Lamar Jackson). 

You mention Peterson bringing inside toughness when Alexander Mattison has a higher broken tackle percentage than him (Mattison is top 10 in the league in this category, Cook is 20th and Peterson is 46th), and Dalvin Cook had an equal yards after contact/attempt to Peterson...

So again, where does he improve our roster other than hedging against injury? I understand you like the guy as a player, and you’re loyal to him, but us signing him makes no sense. 

So let me get this straight, you just straight look at percentages?  Is that a joke?  Of course Mattison would have a higher percentage of breaking tackles, he has less carries!   Far less carries, Peterson in his crazy old age had well over two times the carries Mattison had.  I sure hope certain things look better percentage wise when you have less volume of you doing them.  But Mattison is better at breaking tackles because this skewed stat says it, bull**** on that one!   

Dalvin is one of the most explosive running backs in the league no question, but would love more power and strength from the position at times in the game, especially in terms of leg power and leg drive and a guy who can bring that would be Adrian.

Hedging against injury?  You want to make a bet, that Mattison or Cook or both will get injured this year?  It is not a question of if, it is a matter of when.  

**** on me all you want brohan, it is an opinion, and to just piss it off and say go retire, well I disagree.  

I like Dalvin Cook but fact is Adrian Peterson had more yards his first four seasons each year, than Dalvin Cook had last season, his best year of his career.  The guy had  only 1135 yards, Adrian had 2000+ yards in a season and had over 1200+ yards seven different times.  So let us maybe take it back a notch from the Dalvin Cook is the best thing in the world talk.  Great player last year but looking at it honestly, it was not that damn great in the scheme of football history, and he is sadly not even close to the best back in the NFL.  

The dude gets hurt a crap ton, so yeah I would love another back the quality of Adrian if he even wants to return, but maybe he is done with this place.  And once more if anyone knows if he can play still it would be the coach who was around him last year who is now on the Vikings staff.  

49 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

schism!

Good word for it, but I am not going to just sit around while Adrian gets **** on when he can still play.  And yes I have seen Brett Favre defended more around here than Adrian, no doubt about it.  

It's no wonder that you hear Brett Favre being defended more often, his name comes up far more frequently in the news.  My god, he was asked by the media for his opinion on the Love draft pick even.  Adrian's name doesn't come up all that often, so what is there to defend him for?  I was one of the few that managed to defend him here during his whole fiasco that caused him to miss most of the season, but you have to call a spade a spade...and while he's still a good enough player to play somewhere, it's not here.  He'll cost too much and doesn't really add anything that they don't already have.  He needs to go somewhere where he'll be able to get more snaps and be a little higher on the depth chart.  The Vikings already are one of the deepest teams at the position, even if you include Ham.  There's no spot for him.       

Skewed stat 😂😂😂

Its not just a percentage, it’s a straight up WIN for Mattison in the category of broken tackles. He flat out had more (11) than Peterson (9). That’s despite Peterson having twice as many carries. Give Mattison 100 more carries and it’s more than reasonable to expect that difference increases. That’s how averages work, “brohan.” You keep bringing up Adrian’s age as if it’s something to support bringing him in. “He does such and such despite being an OLD MAN.” Who cares what AP could do when he was younger, that does nothing for the team NOW. It will absolutely help him make the HoF, but not the 2020 Vikings  

But go ahead and support your opinions with colorful language, because everyone here sure as hell takes you more seriously because of it. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Skewed stat 😂😂😂

Its not just a percentage, it’s a straight up WIN for Mattison in the category of broken tackles. He flat out had more (11) than Peterson (9). That’s despite Peterson having twice as many carries. Give Mattison 100 more carries and it’s more than reasonable to expect that difference increases. That’s how averages work, “brohan.” You keep bringing up Adrian’s age as if it’s something to support bringing him in. “He does such and such despite being an OLD MAN.” Who cares what AP could do when he was younger, that does nothing for the team NOW. It will absolutely help him make the HoF, but not the 2020 Vikings  

But go ahead and support your opinions with colorful language, because everyone here sure as hell takes you more seriously because of it. 

You are a know it all, and so am I.  But I  will never view Alexander Mattison as a more physical runner and better than breaking tackles than Adrian Peterson.  11 to 9?  Ever think that Mattison was a backup and most of his carries were in a backup role against potentially backup players or later in games which may or may not have even been competitive?  Lucky for the Vikings they had a decent amount of blowout games last year most on the winning side.  Got a stat for that maybe?  And no it is not a given conclusion that more carries for Mattison would equal more broken tackles.  Play fantasy football?  My guess is you do.   I do not have said stats on hand that you do and rarely look at them, let me guess you have a PFF subscription?  Yeah I get a lot of PFF talk, especially come college football prospect time, and sure stats make articles and can be legit but sometimes are a bunch of crap.

Because only a fantasy football player would believe that Alexander Mattison is a more physical runner and better at breaking tackles than Adrian Peterson regardless if Peterson is 35 years old and Mattison is 22 currently.  

Small sample size means he is fresh, and his production would not automatically be improved if one was not fresh and had to carry the load Adrian has done his entire career.  When has Mattison shown the ability to be a lead back in the NFL which he very well could end up being this season.  Fine rookie year sure but come on, it was one year, hopefully he can improve off that but who knows.  

If you want to fight I can fight, I think you and I both know, attack me in college prospects, I dare you.  You got your lists for the up coming season and beyond?  I doubt it.  You even watch Adrian Peterson play in college?  I kind of doubt that as well.  Sure players change but a prospect is a prospect and Adrian Peterson is obviously one of the best running back prospect to ever play the position.  So no I do not just throw him on the ground like garbage which the Vikings kind of did in a way.  He has more than proven that his career is not totally over after the Vikings let him go.  What he did on Washington the last two years was very impressive, and how it is not well....  Mattison had more broken tackles last year, 11 to 9, yippee, and that is proof he is a more physical runner and is stronger between the tackles, right.  

Edited by Ozzy

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

So let me get this straight, you just straight look at percentages?  Is that a joke?  Of course Mattison would have a higher percentage of breaking tackles, he has less carries!   Far less carries, Peterson in his crazy old age had well over two times the carries Mattison had.  I sure hope certain things look better percentage wise when you have less volume of you doing them.  But Mattison is better at breaking tackles because this skewed stat says it, bull**** on that one!   

Dalvin is one of the most explosive running backs in the league no question, but would love more power and strength from the position at times in the game, especially in terms of leg power and leg drive and a guy who can bring that would be Adrian.

Hedging against injury?  You want to make a bet, that Mattison or Cook or both will get injured this year?  It is not a question of if, it is a matter of when.  

**** on me all you want brohan, it is an opinion, and to just piss it off and say go retire, well I disagree.  

I like Dalvin Cook but fact is Adrian Peterson had more yards his first four seasons each year, than Dalvin Cook had last season, his best year of his career.  The guy had  only 1135 yards, Adrian had 2000+ yards in a season and had over 1200+ yards seven different times.  So let us maybe take it back a notch from the Dalvin Cook is the best thing in the world talk.  Great player last year but looking at it honestly, it was not that damn great in the scheme of football history, and he is sadly not even close to the best back in the NFL.  

The dude gets hurt a crap ton, so yeah I would love another back the quality of Adrian if he even wants to return, but maybe he is done with this place.  And once more if anyone knows if he can play still it would be the coach who was around him last year who is now on the Vikings staff.  

Good word for it, but I am not going to just sit around while Adrian gets **** on when he can still play.  And yes I have seen Brett Favre defended more around here than Adrian, no doubt about it.  

Dude!  C'mon, no has said that Peterson can't still play!  I understand that you think he brings a toughness to the run game...fine.  He probably would.  Yet, he's NOT going to be content to have severely limited touches, while Cook/Mattison carry the load.  If he could come in as strictly a role player, maybe...but that's never been AD...nor should it be.  I am predicting that he will sign a contract and become the starter for Pittsburg, which could just be his key to winning a ring.  I just don't see him playing in Purple and Gold this season.

Nope, no lists, because I don’t scout the collegiate game anymore like I did for 10-15 years starting when I would watch film cuts instead of pay attention in class. Instead, I’ve been coaching the game for the last decade, and for the last three years I’ve been doing that 10 months out of the year; which is why I’m not around as much on this site.  Also has nothing to do with the discussion.

Nope, no PFF. I don’t like paying for something that I can trust my eyes to see. I do use pro football reference when looking for stats though. Free, huge, database of information. Also, has nothing to do with the current conversation. 

Yes, I do enjoy fantasy football, but I’m pretty sure that most fantasy players preferred Adrian Peterson to Alexander Mattison last year given their roles on their teams. Also, has nothing to do with the current conversation. 

There you go again talking about Adrian Peterson the prospect (who, yes, I watched a lot of at Oklahoma), and what Adrian Peterson HAS done in his NFL career. Both things have exactly ZERO meaning in discussing what he currently CAN do for his team. Even if I were to concede that Peterson could bring exponentially more to this team than Mattison, which I definitely don’t at this stage of their careers, the difference in salary for a cap strapped team, contract control status, and age are heavily in favor of Mattison. 

I’m sorry you feel personally slighted that the Vikings “dumped” on Adrian Peterson, but it doesn’t change the fact that Peterson brings little value to a team unless he’s getting consistent carries. He was taking most of the #1 reps in Washington throughout this offseason, and they decided they’d be better off with running with Bryce Love, Antonio Gibson, and having Peyton Barber as their veteran back. 

There’s no having a rational discussion with you when you’re in internet tough guy mode, so I’m going to leave you to your reliving of the glory days, and your lists to keep you warm. Have a good one. 

Peterson was one of the most gifted RBs of all time,  key word being was.  I would consider it if the Vikings didn't have a decent backup already but as it is I don't it would be worth it

That being said,  if it did happen I'm sure I would be pumped up but that would be the nostalgia talking

On 9/4/2020 at 1:55 PM, Ozzy said:

Ok I am obviously on an island here and that is fine.

Ok.....Phil Rauscher is on the Vikings staff right now as an assisting OL coach and was the head OL coach for Washington last year after the changes, and was on Dennison's OL staff a few years back in Denver so no surprise they brought him in.  How is the system any different?  Pretty sure it is wildly the same considering he coached with Dennison and both run a zone blocking scheme.  Does not fit?  Sure he is not great in pass pro but short yardage I would love to have him.  And once more Cook or Mattison will be injured at some point this year, no question about it.  And Peterson brings something physically none of the backs we currently have can bring.  

I want a commitment to running the ball and Peterson would help show that commitment.  Sure maybe he is not willing to sit on the bench personally, but fact is he will be starting for a team in the NFL this season most likely, since he is so awful and all.  

Pretty sad when some fans are more loyal to ******* Brett Favre than Adrian Peterson. Then again loyalty in pro sports is clearly dead and has been for awhile.  

You yourself said they sign him to a one day contract and he is done for, pretty sure that is saying he is crap.  No thank you.

I think I get where you are going with Brett Favre but I'm guessing that has more to do with politics than football.

I'd bring in Peterson later in the year if we are in playoff contention. I doubt Cook will stay healthy and Peterson could have fresh legs for November/December.