Should we bring Adrian Peterson back?

Ozzy

Bring Adrian Peterson back?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Bring Adrian Peterson back?

• Yes
    • No

Not a surprise, and good for Adrian.  Obviously all this talk of he will not sit, he will not be a backup is a bunch of made up crap.  And the Vikings do not have $1.05 million?  That is dirt cheap.  Yeah that is a steal to get a HOF player like Adrian who still has a passion for the game and is an great athlete.  Yeah I would take Detroit's RB group over the Vikings with Swift who could end up being just as good as Cook is, Kerryon who when healthy is just as good as Mattison is and Peterson now who is obviously better than Mike Boone etc.  Not to mention Lions having Ty Johnson who has some upside and Bo Scarbrough who could obviously learn a ton from Adrian.  Vikings have Ameer also which is nice but who knows if they even keep him.

I wish the Vikings had that kind of commitment to the running game, obviously Patrica is going to copy the Patriots model in the NFL of today, was a few years back of running the football, controlling the clock and could work well for them and they will be very hard to handle.  Their OL should be greatly improved as well with the additions they have made.  Defense is still so so but Okudah could do wonders for them and if the LBs can stay healthy they could be ok.  Still would obviously take the Vikings front seven over the Lions though all day long, but offensively they are improving a lot.

Will see, obviously many around here think Adrian is done for and should just retire, see what happens this year.  Obviously is not going to sign a one day contract on Detroit and just retire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think I get where you are going with Brett Favre but I'm guessing that has more to do with politics than football.

I'd bring in Peterson later in the year if we are in playoff contention. I doubt Cook will stay healthy and Peterson could have fresh legs for November/December.

Yeah it is not even a question if Cook or Mattison get hurt, same reason why Detroit got him with their issues the past few years with RBs getting hurt.  Especially for a team committed to running the ball.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not a surprise, and good for Adrian.  Obviously all this talk of he will not sit, he will not be a backup is a bunch of made up crap.  And the Vikings do not have $1.05 million?  That is dirt cheap.  Yeah that is a steal to get a HOF player like Adrian who still has a passion for the game and is an great athlete.  Yeah I would take Detroit's RB group over the Vikings with Swift who could end up being just as good as Cook is, Kerryon who when healthy is just as good as Mattison is and Peterson now who is obviously better than Mike Boone etc.  Not to mention Lions having Ty Johnson who has some upside and Bo Scarbrough who could obviously learn a ton from Adrian.  Vikings have Ameer also which is nice but who knows if they even keep him.

I wish the Vikings had that kind of commitment to the running game, obviously Patrica is going to copy the Patriots model in the NFL of today, was a few years back of running the football, controlling the clock and could work well for them and they will be very hard to handle.  Their OL should be greatly improved as well with the additions they have made.  Defense is still so so but Okudah could do wonders for them and if the LBs can stay healthy they could be ok.  Still would obviously take the Vikings front seven over the Lions though all day long, but offensively they are improving a lot.

Will see, obviously many around here think Adrian is done for and should just retire, see what happens this year.  Obviously is not going to sign a one day contract on Detroit and just retire.

I don't think anyone said that he should retire

Edit: im sure some people have but i haven't seen it here

Edited by vikesfan89

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

No. No. No. No. No.

Ugh. Now I know how GB fans felt with Favre. Ugh.

I think this is pretty far off actually unless the Packers viewed the vikings the same way as we view the Lions. 

I don't mind it.  Now I'll get to see him what he can still do a little more. I wonder if it was any incentive to face the vikings twice

Now if he had signed with the packers or bears...

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't think anyone said that he should retire

Edit: im sure some people have but i haven't seen it here

It was the first response in this thread.  So it is around and my response had a lot to do with that comment, yeah it is a rip on him, a big rip.  I respect great players, not insult them and want them to retire earlier than they need to.  Adrian Peterson is an all time great running back, sure is not as good as he once was but that is not the point and it is obviously no surprise a team signed him.  Surprised other teams did not jump on it sooner because there are many that could use him, but sure they want to see what they got with the young guys on the roster.  The Lions are doing that also though, but adding support if any get hurt and adding crazy amount of leadership with a HOF guy to learn form is not a bad idea.  

If Adrian is this awful person that is not willing to sit or help the young guys, no one would have signed him, so again that thought process is absolute BS.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

It was the first response in this thread.  So it is around and my response had a lot to do with that comment, yeah it is a rip on him, a big rip.  I respect great players, not insult them and want them to retire earlier than they need to.  Adrian Peterson is an all time great running back, sure is not as good as he once was but that is not the point and it is obviously no surprise a team signed him.  Surprised other teams did not jump on it sooner because there are many that could use him, but sure they want to see what they got with the young guys on the roster.  The Lions are doing that also though, but adding support if any get hurt and adding crazy amount of leadership with a HOF guy to learn form is not a bad idea.  

If Adrian is this awful person that is not willing to sit or help the young guys, no one would have signed him, so again that thought process is absolute BS.  

He didn't say that he should retire but that is the only he wanted the vikings to sign him.  That doesn't mean he didn't think a different team should sign him. 

With the saints,  there was 2 other running backs there 1 a rookie.  That didn't work out at all.  I'm not sure if he's been in any other situations like that.  I wouldn't say he's an awful person but some players are better at taking a back seat

Here's how I see this thing. 

Side A - I agree with Ozzy in his opinion that AD could bring us some needed toughness and aggression in the running game.  Even at his advanced age, it's reasonable to assume that he can still bring it to a degree where he could make a contribution to the team.

Side B - I agree with everyone else in not wanting to bring him back for the reason that, even though AD can give US what WE want, we are probably no longer in a position to give HIM what HE wants.  He would be a #3 RB on our team now, and as good as he still is, I think he would be better served finding a team who can give him a bigger role.  He has earned that during his HOF caliber career.

In the end, we probably got the best thing we could have hoped for.  He signed with Detroit - a team that where we probably don't have to worry that his being there could put them over the top in the division.  At the same time, with him playing for Detroit, we are guaranteed to see him play twice in division games, so at least we have that benefit.  It all worked out for the best, IMHO.

Edited by Uncle Buck

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Here's how I see this thing. 

Side A - I agree with Ozzy in his opinion that AD could bring us some needed toughness and aggression in the running game.  Even at his advanced age, it's reasonable to assume that he can still bring it to a degree where he could make a contribution to the team.

Side B - I agree with everyone else in not wanting to bring him back for the reason that, even though AD can give US what WE want, we are probably no longer in a position to give HIM what HE wants.  He would be a #3 RB on our team now, and as good as he still is, I think he would be better served finding a team who can give him a bigger role.  He has earned that during his HOF caliber career.

In the end, we probably got the best thing we could have hoped for.  He signed with Detroit - a team that where we probably don't have to worry that his being there could put them over the top in the division.  At the same time, with him playing for Detroit, we are guaranteed to see him play twice in division games, so at least we have that benefit.  It all worked out for the best, IMHO.

Fact is they had David Blough and Jeff Driskel as their starting QB last year for half the season.  Put Stafford back in and they are as dangerous and have as good of a QB as anyone in the division.  They have made obvious improvements in the draft, there first four draft picks could all start for them in Okudah, Swift, Jackson and Okwara and most would be an improvement over who starter there last season.  To say they are not going to be a factor in the NFC, in a season where home field crowds mean nothing because they are not there at all, or the numbers are way down...  Well they will be a factor and Adrian Peterson just shows the commitment the Lions have to running the ball and provided Stafford some help, something he has really never had his entire career from the RB position.  

Kevin Smith, injured after some early success career over
Jahvid Best, injured after some early success career over
Mikel Leshoure, injured after some early success career over
Joique Bell, had some early success then obviously could not keep it up
Reggie Bush, injured of course was a massive issue in his career and never became that great player he could have been, they did not draft Reggie though 
Ameer Abdullah, had some early success obviously but he also got injured a lot and could not stay healthy and take the pounding they wanted in that offense
Theo Riddick, had a little success but is really a slot WR playing RB
Kerryon Johnson has been good when in there but again injury issues but still on the roster.  
LeGarrette Blount, had some success but was near the end of his career on Detroit, helps show the want for a power back for them though.

So now they not only have AD, but also Johnson and Swift who is a big time RB prospect and they got him as a steal later in the draft in a draft where many RBs dropped lower than they should have.  2nd round 35th pick for Swift, who in many ways was the best back in the draft.  Each guy provides something a little different.  Yeah that is a problem I would have liked the Vikings to have, not even considering the leadership and presence a guy like that has in the locker room.  So yes Stafford with a good run game could be wildly better than they have been and he has been a great QB overall in his career, just never got the wins in the playoffs or that type of elite level success.  At least he is not on the Bears or Packers sure but the Lions are not going to be some crap team with a healthy Stafford at QB.

• Like 2

The Vikings ran the ball 3rd most of any team last year... behind only BAL and SF... 

saying they aren’t committed to the run is A false narrative. Add the volume of screen plays, and the Vikings feature their RBs as much as any team in the NFL.

Adrian Peterson doesn’t help the Vikings this year in this scheme. He’s not a patient one cut runner, doesn’t block, doesn’t catch the ball well. I wish him luck in DET as long as it’s not when they aren’t playing the Vikings.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I wish the Vikings had that kind of commitment to the running game,

The Vikings were one of the most run heavy teams in the league last year. They drafted Bradbury because of what he can do in the running game. They have an excellent RB1 in Cook and an above average RB2 in Mattison. They have an OC and OL coach who are famous for the attention to detail and success in the outside zone scheme  

Of all the things to criticize the Vikings for, and of all the teams to hold up as a better comparison, I can’t believe you’re upset Minnesota somehow doesn’t value the running game as much as the Detroit Lions. 

Peterson was an elite back at his best, but his best was a long time ago. He’s never played in an outside zone / Shanahan tree system. There’s no reason for the Vikings to pick him up except for nostalgia or fan service. 

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

This is bull. He said to a one day contract, he didn’t say that he should retire now. He went on to explain that many times over, but you were too busy ranting to understand. 

slow down, my guy. Try to read and understand what is being said and have a conversation instead of “fighting”. Your word, no one else’s.

3 minutes ago, Krauser said:

The Vikings were one of the most run heavy teams in the league last year. They drafted Bradbury because of what he can do in the running game. They have an excellent RB1 in Cook and an above average RB2 in Mattison. They have an OC and OL coach who are famous for the attention to detail and success in the outside zone scheme  

Of all the things to criticize the Vikings for, and of all the teams to hold up as a better comparison, I can’t believe you’re upset Minnesota somehow doesn’t value the running game as much as the Detroit Lions. 

Peterson was an elite back at his best, but his best was a long time ago. He’s never played in an outside zone / Shanahan tree system. There’s no reason for the Vikings to pick him up except for nostalgia or fan service. 

So if he has never played outside zone what was he doing on Washington last year?  And Phil Rauscher coached with Dennison but also with Kubiak on the Denver Broncos and is currently on the Vikings staff right now!

Disagree all you want, I really do not care anymore.  I think they should have signed him for the little amount he signed for on Detroit, you and many do not.  I really do not care anymore, will see how he does against Detroit when we play them twice.  

Vikings were one of the best rushing teams in the NFL.  Yeah sure, but fact is one has to constantly improve.  Based on this logic the Ravens should have not drafted JK Dobbins in this past draft when they are loaded at RB with tons of good backs.  Guess what they did draft him and they will use him, and they were better at running the ball than the Vikings are last year and will be again this year.   I recall arguing with some Ravens fan about that before the draft when I had them draft a RB, and guess what, yeah they drafted a RB.  Oh but they should not have done that because they had the best rushing regular season in NFL history.  

• Like 1