Should we bring Adrian Peterson back?

Ozzy

Bring Adrian Peterson back?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Bring Adrian Peterson back?

• Yes
    • No

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So if he has never played outside zone what was he doing on Washington last year?  And Phil Rauscher coached with Dennison but also with Kubiak on the Denver Broncos and is currently on the Vikings staff right now!

Rauscher wasn’t the run game coordinator in Washington, that was Bill Callahan. They mostly ran power and inside zone.

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Vikings were one of the best rushing teams in the NFL.  Yeah sure, but fact is one has to constantly improve. 

Not just one of the best, one of the most committed to the run. As in, pretty much the opposite of the Detroit Lions for the last 20 years.

You’re like a Packers fan complaining about their OL and holding up the Vikings as a team who takes pass protection seriously, because they signed a 35 year old tackle. 

23 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Guess what they did draft him and they will use him, and they were better at running the ball than the Vikings are last year and will be again this year. 

...because of Lamar Jackson. Replacing Boone with Peterson wouldn’t change that.

If the Vikings signed Peterson, how many carries do you think he’d be getting this year? 50? 100? Would you bench Cook for him?

Even if Peterson is better than Boone (probably) or Mattison (probably not, IMO), the added benefit of an upgrade at RB for 50 carries or whatever is really small.

8 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Rauscher wasn’t the run game coordinator in Washington, that was Bill Callahan. They mostly ran power and inside zone.

Not just one of the best, one of the most committed to the run. As in, pretty much the opposite of the Detroit Lions for the last 20 years.

You’re like a Packers fan complaining about their OL and holding up the Vikings as a team who takes pass protection seriously, because they signed a 35 year old tackle. 

...because of Lamar Jackson. Replacing Boone with Peterson wouldn’t change that.

If the Vikings signed Peterson, how many carries do you think he’d be getting this year? 50? 100? Would you bench Cook for him?

Even if Peterson is better than Boone (probably) or Mattison (probably not, IMO), the added benefit of an upgrade at RB for 50 carries or whatever is really small.

So Rauscher being prompted to OL coach when Bill became the HC, he had nothing to do with the run game at all?  And now on the Vikings he is the "Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator with Rick Dennison" because he knows nothing about running the football?  Right.

Bill Callahan runs a zone blocking scheme and Washington ran a zone blocking scheme last year.  Mostly ran power and inside zone?  Ok, yeah most every team in the NFL does that, no everyone runs outside all the time every play, not really and that is not really a thing and would be quite stupid.  

Anything else you want to add, I think signing Peterson would have been great, you do not and put and odd amount of value on Mattison.  Maybe the Vikings will dominate on the ground but when one of those two go down and they will, yeah I would love to have Adrian sitting around.  No instead have him go up against you two times this season, that is a better option.  I see.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

So Rauscher being prompted to OL coach when Bill became the HC, he had nothing to do with the run game at all?  And now on the Vikings he is the "Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator with Rick Dennison" because he knows nothing about running the football?  Right.

I didn't say he knew nothing about running the football, I said he didn't coordinate the run game for Washington last year. Which he didn't.

Rauscher isn't the Vikings run game coordinator this year, that's Dennison.

Rauscher is just an assistant OL coach. Not sure why you think hiring him would affect the Vikings personnel decisions. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Bill Callahan runs a zone blocking scheme and Washington ran a zone blocking scheme last year.  Mostly ran power and inside zone?  Ok, yeah most every team in the NFL does that, no everyone runs outside all the time every play, not really and that is not really a thing and would be quite stupid.  

Bill Callahan runs a mix of power and zone. 

The Kubiak system is mostly outside zone. Outside zone doesn't mean you "run outside all the time every play" -- the "outside" refers to the blocking scheme, not where the back runs. The RB is supposed to make one cut, often against the grain of the blocking. So a lot of outside zone blocked runs end up going vertical between the numbers, like Dalvin's long TD at Lambeau last year.

The run game isn't rocket science, most teams use a few concepts over and over. But there is a distinction between outside zone heavy teams and those that run more power concepts. And Peterson has worked in power and inside zone schemes over the years. He hasn't played for any of the Shanahan-tree teams. He'd probably be able to do it, but he's not an obvious scheme fit. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Anything else you want to add, I think signing Peterson would have been great, you do not and put and odd amount of value on Mattison.

Mattison is good. He's explosive and has good vision. And he's 22 years old. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe the Vikings will dominate on the ground but when one of those two go down

If the only question is what happens if both RB1 and RB2 are out, I'm OK with Mike Boone instead of a $1M RB3. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe the Vikings will dominate on the ground but when one of those two go down and they will, yeah I would love to have Adrian sitting around.  No instead have him go up against you two times this season, that is a better option.  I see.  

The Vikings have played Peterson twice, and won both games. Peterson has 20 carries for 94 yards over those 2 games. He's still a good RB, and I wish him good luck in Detroit. But the Vikings are in good shape at RB without him. 

Edited by Krauser

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Fact is they had David Blough and Jeff Driskel as their starting QB last year for half the season.  Put Stafford back in and they are as dangerous and have as good of a QB as anyone in the division.  They have made obvious improvements in the draft, there first four draft picks could all start for them in Okudah, Swift, Jackson and Okwara and most would be an improvement over who starter there last season.  To say they are not going to be a factor in the NFC, in a season where home field crowds mean nothing because they are not there at all, or the numbers are way down...  Well they will be a factor and Adrian Peterson just shows the commitment the Lions have to running the ball and provided Stafford some help, something he has really never had his entire career from the RB position.  

Kevin Smith, injured after some early success career over
Jahvid Best, injured after some early success career over
Mikel Leshoure, injured after some early success career over
Joique Bell, had some early success then obviously could not keep it up
Reggie Bush, injured of course was a massive issue in his career and never became that great player he could have been, they did not draft Reggie though 
Ameer Abdullah, had some early success obviously but he also got injured a lot and could not stay healthy and take the pounding they wanted in that offense
Theo Riddick, had a little success but is really a slot WR playing RB
Kerryon Johnson has been good when in there but again injury issues but still on the roster.  
LeGarrette Blount, had some success but was near the end of his career on Detroit, helps show the want for a power back for them though.

So now they not only have AD, but also Johnson and Swift who is a big time RB prospect and they got him as a steal later in the draft in a draft where many RBs dropped lower than they should have.  2nd round 35th pick for Swift, who in many ways was the best back in the draft.  Each guy provides something a little different.  Yeah that is a problem I would have liked the Vikings to have, not even considering the leadership and presence a guy like that has in the locker room.  So yes Stafford with a good run game could be wildly better than they have been and he has been a great QB overall in his career, just never got the wins in the playoffs or that type of elite level success.  At least he is not on the Bears or Packers sure but the Lions are not going to be some crap team with a healthy Stafford at QB.

Good points, Ozzy.  I was pretty high on the Lions coming into last season and they just fizzled out.  I'm sure Stafford's injury contributed to that.  As you said, he is as good as any QB in the division.  I'd rate Stafford, Cousins, and Rodgers all about equal these days.  The Lions have a lot of quality players but I'm starting to lose faith in their head coach being able to put it all together for them.  Adding a guy like AD to their roster certainly won't hurt them though. f

(One other thing - I still say you have one of the best avatar pics on this entire site!)  :)

Edited by Uncle Buck

4 hours ago, Krauser said:

I didn't say he knew nothing about running the football, I said he didn't coordinate the run game for Washington last year. Which he didn't.

Rauscher isn't the Vikings run game coordinator this year, that's Dennison.

Rauscher is just an assistant OL coach. Not sure why you think hiring him would affect the Vikings personnel decisions. 

Bill Callahan runs a mix of power and zone. 

The Kubiak system is mostly outside zone. Outside zone doesn't mean you "run outside all the time every play" -- the "outside" refers to the blocking scheme, not where the back runs. The RB is supposed to make one cut, often against the grain of the blocking. So a lot of outside zone blocked runs end up going vertical between the numbers, like Dalvin's long TD at Lambeau last year.

The run game isn't rocket science, most teams use a few concepts over and over. But there is a distinction between outside zone heavy teams and those that run more power concepts. And Peterson has worked in power and inside zone schemes over the years. He hasn't played for any of the Shanahan-tree teams. He'd probably be able to do it, but he's not an obvious scheme fit. 

Mattison is good. He's explosive and has good vision. And he's 22 years old. 

If the only question is what happens if both RB1 and RB2 are out, I'm OK with Mike Boone instead of a $1M RB3. 

The Vikings have played Peterson twice, and won both games. Peterson has 20 carries for 94 yards over those 2 games. He's still a good RB, and I wish him good luck in Detroit. But the Vikings are in good shape at RB without him. 

You just want to argue obviously.

I bring up Rauscher because of the absurdity of believing Peterson cannot run the football in the current system the Vikings use when he did it last year under a Dennison protege who now works under Dennison on the Vikings!  Rauscher coached with Dennison in Denver, and a similar blocking and run game system was ran by him in Washington.  Now Dennison hired him as an assistant to help him with the OL and the run game which it clearly states on their website.  Why it affects personnel decisions?  Well the concept that Adrian cannot run this Vikings system.  

Argue away, think he is crap, disregard his leadership or work ethic and pretend that such a joke of a contract would really break the bank for the organization.  It is done, but do not be surprised to see him do quite well against us this season possibly.  And if not, he will do wonders for those young backs on the Lions.  Dalvin is a good back, but he has about 8-10 years to go of equal to much greater production than he had last season.  Mattison is talented sure but there is a massive lists of rookie backs who did great early and then dropped off the face of the planet and were out of the NFL by their next contract, oh and Boone, yeah I would rather have a 35 year old Adrian Peterson than Mike Boone.  

But Adrian is old and plays running back, so he is worthless? Nah.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Good points, Ozzy.  I was pretty high on the Lions coming into last season and they just fizzled out.  I'm sure Stafford's injury contributed to that.  As you said, he is as good as any QB in the division.  I'd rate Stafford, Cousins, and Rodgers all about equal these days.  The Lions have a lot of quality players but I'm starting to lose faith in their head coach being able to put it all together for them.  Adding a guy like AD to their roster certainly won't hurt them though. f

(One other thing - I still say you have one of the best avatar pics on this entire site!)  :)

Stafford was a massive reason for that, and in terms of arm talent and demeanor I would take Stafford all day over Cousins.  But Kirk did do well last year, not a great start to this season with comments he has made but maybe they were taken out of context.  If Jarrad Davis can stay healthy that will greatly help that D, and Jamie Collins is obviously talent and knows that system than Patrica brought from the Patriots.  

Justin Coleman, Darryl Roberts and Amani Oruwariye are not bad backups at corner and their starters could be very solid, and Harmon is an ex Pat also and a decent safety as well, and they got Kearse in the wings maybe and Will Harris has some toughness to him.  

Still Vaitai at OT is huge for them, and if Jackson can be an upgrade at OG and I think he can, he was a steal and arguably was one of the best guards in college football last year.  And if Ragnow can be healthy that offense will be very improved.  

And those three starting WRs are dang good as is 2nd year stud TE Hockenson.  

58 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Stafford was a massive reason for that, and in terms of arm talent and demeanor I would take Stafford all day over Cousins.  But Kirk did do well last year, not a great start to this season with comments he has made but maybe they were taken out of context.  If Jarrad Davis can stay healthy that will greatly help that D, and Jamie Collins is obviously talent and knows that system than Patrica brought from the Patriots.  

Justin Coleman, Darryl Roberts and Amani Oruwariye are not bad backups at corner and their starters could be very solid, and Harmon is an ex Pat also and a decent safety as well, and they got Kearse in the wings maybe and Will Harris has some toughness to him.  

Still Vaitai at OT is huge for them, and if Jackson can be an upgrade at OG and I think he can, he was a steal and arguably was one of the best guards in college football last year.  And if Ragnow can be healthy that offense will be very improved.  

And those three starting WRs are dang good as is 2nd year stud TE Hockenson.  

I wildly predict Stafford will be a Dallas Cowboy at the end of the year. He's from that area. I think Detroit will see Dak as their new starting QB in 2021. Stafford has never won in Detroit (not entirely his fault but it's sooo old -- I'm sure he'd agree) and a new staff will be happening next season. At some point it has to come down to winning. I don't know how he has lasted as long as he has in that organization. We're talking about multiple Viking QBs who have had better success in the division no longer with the club, and Rodgers, who now has his successor in place despite his winning a SB and consistent playoff success. Jerry Jones doesn't want to extend Dak apparently, so I could see the two teams switching QBs.

I don't buy the Lions at all -- sorry. It's not about talent. It's about winning. They've been on prove-it-mode for ever. 

Edited by babababa

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Adrian Peterson is presently 5th in the NFL's all time rushing standings, 1053 yards behind the #4 guy, Barry Sanders.

how hard are Lions fans going to be rooting for AP to gain 1100 yards, i wonder...

If I were a Lions fan I would still be able to cheer for Adrian.  Barry Sanders only played for 10 years, while AD is going into his 13th year in the league and is about 1,100 yards behind.  Even if he surpasses Barry this season, Lions fans can rest in knowing their guy did it in a lot less time.  Sanders' place among the very best of all time should be secure for many years in the minds of fans in Detroit and all around the league.  What do you think, VD?  Would it bother you if you were in their shoes?

Edited by Uncle Buck

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Adrian Peterson is presently 5th in the NFL's all time rushing standings, 1053 yards behind the #4 guy, Barry Sanders.

how hard are Lions fans going to be rooting for AP to gain 1100 yards, i wonder...

This is what Barry thinks about it, so pretty sure it is not an issue.  And if some are correct around here, he will not even play barely this year and will retire shortly.  Will see.

"So excited to see @AdrianPeterson coming to the @Lions - It will be great to have you in town.

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

If I were a Lions fan I would still be able to cheer for Adrian.  Barry Sanders only played for 10 years, while AD is going into his 13th year in the league and is about 1,100 yards behind.  Even if he surpasses Barry this season, Lions fans can rest in knowing their guy did it in a lot less time.  Sanders' place among the very best of all time should be secure for many years in the minds of fans in Detroit and all around the league.  What do you think, VD?  Would it bother you if you were in their shoes?

Agreed, and AD will be going into his 14th year in the NFL by my count.  And yes most should know how little Barry played and how much he did, they were going younger when he called it quits and they were going in a new direction sadly, also greatly respected Walter Payton of course.  I must say is odd to see Frank Gore up there, but he will be going on his 16th year.  

• 2 weeks later...

I will always be a fan of how Peterson plays the game.  He has heart and passion and gives maximum effort.  What I witnessed on Sunday, he still has a lot in the tank.  If he stays healthy, and the Lions stay competitive in their games, he should top 1,000 yards for the season.