Raiders release Damarious Randall

agarcia34

Not a fan of this move. 

D is our biggest weakness. We keep recycling through used goods and letting go of guys who have actually been on good units. 

Should've kept him for the money and experience. Let one of the countless scrubs still on the roster go. 

I'm all for keeping known commodities, and at least we know he can actually play. Instead, we're going to watch as we pretend Jeff Heath is starting caliber and convince ourselves that Tanner Muse hasn't been getting shown up by a UDFA should-be-SS playing LB. 

For every move I like on Offense, we make a dumb move on D.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Not a fan of this move. 

D is our biggest weakness. We keep recycling through used goods and letting go of guys who have actually been on good units. 

Should've kept him for the money and experience. Let one of the countless scrubs still on the roster go. 

I'm all for keeping known commodities, and at least we know he can actually play. Instead, we're going to watch as we pretend Jeff Heath is starting caliber and convince ourselves that Tanner Muse hasn't been getting shown up by a UDFA should-be-SS playing LB. 

For every move I like on Offense, we make a dumb move on D.

Wonder if Gruden is just letting Paul G call shots on defense, and he is Ken Norton 2.0

13 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Screw it, start Amik in the slot and Dixon back him up....Play Joyner as FS

It’s Nixon but yeah that’s the best move imo unless we add someone else to play FS... don’t know if anyone other than earl Thomas or Clinton dis better especially without any TC to prepare 

18 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Wonder if Gruden is just letting Paul G call shots on defense, and he is Ken Norton 2.0

I'm not sure. I know Gruden's Defenses in Tampa were always pretty good. But he also had Kiffin, Morris, Bradley, Lake, Tomlin, etc as coaches and a steady cast of really solid players. 

Given the reputations his defensive coaches garnered over the years, I have to think that Gruden gave them a good deal of latitude. With Gruden being such a maestro for offense, I could totally see him delegating defense.

Guenther, to me, seemed to benefit more from inheriting a D from now-validated commodity Mike Zimmer and coaching under also-proven D commodity Marvin Lewis. Classic case of coat tailing, much like Ken Norton Jr. 

• Like 1

Honestly if we don't try joyner at free i think it's idiotic. What's more, we should have let Amik get reps at free safety as well because he has the smarts/speed to play that position in a pinch.

Having corners with long speed matters, but we won't stand a chance against KC without deep speed at safety.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Honestly if we don't try joyner at free i think it's idiotic. What's more, we should have let Amik get reps at free safety as well because he has the smarts/speed to play that position in a pinch.

Having corners with long speed matters, but we won't stand a chance against KC without deep speed at safety.

I too wish we would move Joyner to S. It makes too much sense. He was a high end S with the Rams, struggled when they moved him to NCB, and then had a brutal season with us at NCB. Especially given the fact we have some depth at CB but not S. 

The second part however I hope we keep Amik at CB. I want him to master that position before shifting his roles early. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I too wish we would move Joyner to S. It makes too much sense. He was a high end S with the Rams, struggled when they moved him to NCB, and then had a brutal season with us at NCB. Especially given the fact we have some depth at CB but not S. 

The second part however I hope we keep Amik at CB. I want him to master that position before shifting his roles early. 

Normally I'd agree. But with how adamant the staff seems to be about joyner at safety, it seems like a good idea. I could legitimately see him as a good playmaking free safety in the league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Normally I'd agree. But with how adamant the staff seems to be about joyner at safety, it seems like a good idea. I could legitimately see him as a good playmaking free safety in the league.

I remember posters thinking he would make a good S too. He has great ball skills no doubt. I guess I'm just thinking more long-term and how I value CBs more than S. 

But if he has the ability to be a good S then I wont lose sleep!

• Like 1

Just little things bug me about our defense staff... 

- not giving Joseph a fair chance 

- moving Littleton to SLB when he seems like  Natural WLB

- falling in love 😍 with Nassib 

- using Ferrell all over the DLine when that’s what failed in 2019

- actually passing on J Allen, Ed Oliver, White because they weren’t system first... 

- let’s see how all these draft picks pan out

55 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

actually passing on J Allen, Ed Oliver, White because they weren’t system first... 

let’s see how all these draft picks pan out

This 100%.

Our D system has sucked. Period. 

We passed on great players because they didn't fit a system that hasn't worked well at all. 

I'd rather have several playmakers we passed on that we plug in and alter our system than picking reaches solely because they fit a crap scheme. 

We need a new DC soon, especially if this year's D is a poor as usual.