Raiders release Damarious Randall

agarcia34

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Just little things bug me about our defense staff... 

- not giving Joseph a fair chance 

- moving Littleton to SLB when he seems like  Natural WLB

- falling in love 😍 with Nassib 

- using Ferrell all over the DLine when that’s what failed in 2019

- actually passing on J Allen, Ed Oliver, White because they weren’t system first... 

- let’s see how all these draft picks pan out

I was pounding the table pre draft for both of these guys.  Hopefully Ferrell will step it up this year but the reason I really wanted Oliver was his versatility (3T/DE) and I knew that a 3T who can get pressure up the middle is critical for success.  We haven't had 3T who has been a consistent, interior disruptor as long as I can remember and it now appears that we are trying to get CF to fit that hybrid role which would have been better suited for Oliver.  

We are very thin along the Dline and one injury could have a major trickle down effect.

I also think a lot of you don't understand how important QB pressure is and how that affects the secondary.  I'm not saying that Joyner is a great player but I feel his lackluster play has to do more with our terrible pass rush rather than him forgetting how to lay at a pro bowl level. He's 29 years old and hasn't had severe injury, it's not like he's 32 and over the hill.  I'm just playing devils advocate here...  Thoughts?

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I was pounding the table pre draft for both of these guys.  Hopefully Ferrell will step it up this year but the reason I really wanted Oliver was his versatility (3T/DE) and I knew that a 3T who can get pressure up the middle is critical for success.  We haven't had 3T who has been a consistent, interior disruptor as long as I can remember and it now appears that we are trying to get CF to fit that hybrid role which would have been better suited for Oliver.  

We are very thin along the Dline and one injury could have a major trickle down effect.

I also think a lot of you don't understand how important QB pressure is and how that affects the secondary.  I'm not saying that Joyner is a great player but I feel his lackluster play has to do more with our terrible pass rush rather than him forgetting how to lay at a pro bowl level. He's 29 years old and hasn't had severe injury, it's not like he's 32 and over the hill.  I'm just playing devils advocate here...  Thoughts?

I wonder who was worst in coverage last year Joyner or Whitehead?

If we **DID** eventually move Joyner to FS.... (humor me here)

i love Amik as a longterm prospect and think he’s got tons of potential.... but he’s very young and might not be totally ready....

maybe in nickel packages Isaiah Johnson comes in as an outside corner (alongside Mullen) and Arnette drops into the slot.  Arnette played a lot of slot CB successful his sophomore year at OSU and that’s how he first got on the 1st round radar.

lol at vic tafur with the post hoc "bad fit" take... and then another beat writer, cant remember who it was (maybe tashan reed) said randall only practiced one time all summer. i hadn't heard anything from any of these guys before today about randall constantly not being at practice or being a "bad fit"

Edited by Turnobili

40 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Not sure why everyone’s so upset. It’s not like he’s a proven stud. Both the Packers and Browns let him go for cheap. I think Harris is probably just as good of a player and is more familiar with the system. 

I don’t think anyone’s “upset”... more shocked and surprised and any “upset-ness” isn’t about losing Randall as much as it is the hole the move opens up.  Do we only carry 3 S’s?  Leavitt isn’t a NFL S, he’s a STer.

Anytime we get set in our minds a player as a starter and he leaves people, and rightfully so, begin to be fearful that a hole was created on the roster.

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

i wasn't a huge fan of Oliver at 4, but my thoughts were if Bosa and Quinnen were both gone, Josh Allen was the obvoius pick, but if for whatever reason the brass wasn't sold on him, they absolutely had to trade down. (i actually loved Ferrell in the draft, but if he fell to 24 or 27)

What bothers me more in hindsight is the garbage justification mayock made for the Ferrell pick. Mayock said it was all about scheme fit, and how they saw him as the perfect DE for their scheme (implying they saw Allen as a 3-4 OLB and Ferrell as a more traditional 4-3 DE)... and yet here we are a year later and they're already in the process of transitioning him to D-Tackle. if they did want a 3-tec type d-tackle, they should have just moved down a bit and taken Oliver. Heck, if the goal was 3-tec, reaching for Oliver would have made more sense than reaching for Ferrell

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

lol at vic tafur with the post hoc "bad fit" take... and then another beat writer, cant remember who it was (maybe tashan reed) said randall only practiced one time all summer. i hadn't heard anything from any of these guys before today about randall constantly not being at practice or being a "bad fit"

Just shows you how garbage the media coverage is of TC.  

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

raiders beat reporters have been out of the loop for a while. Tafur had much better connections during the JDR era. the only good thing on the raiders are the film guys like Ted Nguyen

Yeah... not to mention the LV based “journalists” have no long lasting connections with sources within the team.

I liked Nguyen’s film breakdowns when he first came out... didn’t he go to the Athletic?

I’d also like to say I doubt there’s ever good media coverage.... newspapers are dying... they can’t afford good reporters who actually are logging Long expense reports to cover the team.... maybe A few papers in big markets can afford a good beat righter but that’s it.

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree with this 100 percent... I really liked Oliver, Allen. Allen seemed like it would be a chance for Gruden to find his Mack replacement after taking heat. I did like White after those two but I was always a Bosa guy. Was pissed we won a meaningless game in December that no one remembers. That building momentum for the next season is a bunch of horse 💩.. same players aren’t even on the team if the team is trash. Anyways wanted to trade up for Bosa bad, wouldn’t have cost much to trade up 2 spots. I was shocked with the Ferrell pick like that guy on tv. I’m still not counting him out, but Oliver, Allen, Bosa already playing at pro bowl levels and could be elite for the next decade. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah... not to mention the LV based “journalists” have no long lasting connections with sources within the team.

I liked Nguyen’s film breakdowns when he first came out... didn’t he go to the Athletic?

I’d also like to say I doubt there’s ever good media coverage.... newspapers are dying... they can’t afford good reporters who actually are logging Long expense reports to cover the team.... maybe A few papers in big markets can afford a good beat righter but that’s it.

he did, but to be fair i did get a subscription to the athletic, mainly because i was quite thirsty for draft coverage. i also imagine content (primarily film stuff) will be more frequent during the season.

there's also that gipsy dude on twitter who is more on and off (its a hobby for him, not a job)... he used to run that great ninjagoro site.

Edited by Turnobili

6 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

he did, but to be fair i did get a subscription to the athletic, mainly because i was quite thirsty for draft coverage. i also imagine content (primarily film stuff) will be more frequent during the season.

there's also that gipsy dude on twitter who is more on and off (its a hobby for him, not a job)... he used to run that great ninjagoro site.

Yeah... I liked him too but got off Twitter.

Anythings better than ChatSports Mitchell Renz.... that show is as basic and low Football IQ as imaginable.  I’m glad the channel exists but he’s way too much of a “FratBro” with the chugging beer and 10k manscape jokes/product promos a show... it’s hard to watch at times 

I liked Ed Oliver but I was honestly really concerned about his weight.  He’s a unique  player but I questioned if he bulked up to 287 just for the draft and would drop back down to 270-275 by the season.... even 287 is too small for a 3T imo.

Im curious as to how he ultimately turns out longterm.