Saints defense is playing well despite a slow start

tyler735

2-2 through 4 games is not bad given the circumstances. The defense is starting to look like what we saw in the preseason, which is very encouraging. 

We've allowed just 19 points in the past 10 quarters going back into the 2nd half of the Patriots game. Really let the sink in. 19 points allowed in the last 2.5 games. That's crazy for this defense considering how bad they've been prior.

If we were any other team I'd be suuuper pumped, but we're the Sean Payton led Saints and I've seen this story one too many times. That said, in the past our defense would struggle even against the worst offenses so it's still an encouraging sign, but I know better than to get too hyped about us having a good stretch after a bad opening. 

I love it!! And we're winning the turnover battle, for the first time since...........???????????????

We still need better push up front, and better Linebacker play, but I'm very encouraged by the flip this D has taken.

After the Vikings game, I thought we'd be lucky to win 3 game this season.

19 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I love it!! And we're winning the turnover battle, for the first time since...........???????????????

We still need better push up front, and better Linebacker play, but I'm very encouraged by the flip this D has taken.

After the Vikings game, I thought we'd be lucky to win 3 game this season.

Yeah, Brees is taking care of the football so far, and our guys are in position to capitalize on mistakes. And nobody has fumbilitis this year.

Max unger and Brees got really lucky yesterday with two fumbled snaps.  I'm not sure who's more to blame, but I've seen Max do this before with the Seahawks.  He's been great though so I don't expect it to continue.

Brees will eventually throw his picks, but if our defense can keep playing well it won't hurt us much.  Brady won his first three super bowls with 12-14 picks, Peyton went to Super Bowl in 09 with 16 picks, and won in 2015 with a buttload of picks.  Rodgers won the Super Bowl in 2010 with 11 picks.  The one common denominator?  Great defense.

14 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

If we were any other team I'd be suuuper pumped, but we're the Sean Payton led Saints and I've seen this story one too many times. That said, in the past our defense would struggle even against the worst offenses so it's still an encouraging sign, but I know better than to get too hyped about us having a good stretch after a bad opening. 

Im in this camp...

As I said a few days ago in a post, imma need to see quite the winning streak before im ready to eat crow on me wanting Payton out. However this team is begining to look like a improving team instead of a regressing one.

As for Sean Payton, id love to be able to fire SP the personnel director and strip SP of his meddeling ways on the defensive end while keeping SP the offensive minded HC but i know that is kinda impossible at this point.

Im in wait and see mode right now... Lets see how this season plays out the rest of the year. Does this young secondary continue to improve under Dennis Allen or do they fall flat down the stretch? Can this defense find a edge rush presence outsode of Jordan? I personally feel we need more athleticism at the linebacker position.

Offensively how much longer can Brees play? Can we continue to rebuild with a aging 25+ million per year QB? I feel we have great potential on the offensive line and Alvin Kamara looks like a future star as well as Mike Thomas. We need an upgrade at TE. 

We all knew this was a season that would dictate the future of this franchise and nothing ive seen thus far has changed that outlook.

9 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

Yeah, but you're mister pessimistic.

Haha... Very true!

Has anyone heard or read anything one Anzalone? Im hoping it was just a stinger and that he'll be back after the bye. We finally look like we hit on a young LB, would be a big setback if his injury bug returns.

59 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Haha... Very true!

Has anyone heard or read anything one Anzalone? Im hoping it was just a stinger and that he'll be back after the bye. We finally look like we hit on a young LB, would be a big setback if his injury bug returns.

With a history of dislocations with that shoulder and how he injured it, I would be surprised if it wasn't at least a mild dislocation.

Can I just say that AJ Klein is a beast? So glad we added this guy. It feels like he's always around the ball making a play and leading the defense. Ken Crawley is also another huge part of how our defense is playing but I feel like we gotta give some props to Klein. Dude's playing out of his mind. Cam Jordan too but I mean we should all expect that and be used to it by now.

Archived